The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

8 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Annoyingly the alternator appears to have died - not completely surprising as it was a secondhand unit with an unknown history which I fitted several years ago, but there don't appear to be any secondhand alternators about at the moment - the cheapest new one I can find is from Rock Auto, but even that is rather expensive once shipping and tax are added.

Might be worth a call to Mike at just alternators and starter motors, he can probably repair it for about £60-£80.

www.jasm.co.uk

59 minutes ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Oh and in other news, Wifey had to get a lift home from Chester last night after a work do. 

She left her car in a school car park and they locked the gates, now the car is stranded 50 mins away in a locked school. Not handy for going to work on Monday morning in Wrexham...

This is after she 'lost' my car key for my car in Rhyl over the weekend, only for me to have to pick her up in and bring her home, then for her to find the keys in her bag. 

For someone who has a clever job, two degrees and a title she can be daft 🤣

1 hour ago, Cord Fourteener said:

No Test Pilots! 

That's what I thought of as I went to test drive a lovely and high powered Volvo V70 yesterday. 

I had seen the listing on Faceache, I'm casually browsing large estates and I'm always drawn to Scandinavian wheels.

Anyway it turns out the car was featured in the YouTube channel Car Throttle on their 150mph for £1000 episode, which I watched when it came out a year ago. 

So it was more for my entertainment that I went. The listing seemed honest and sure enough the seller was a decent bloke.

Then I sat in the car. I pretty much wanted to buy it there and then on the basis of the driver's seat!!!

Then I started the engine, it has a full stainless steel exhaust with custom cat.

It's noisy but sound amazing. Sold!!! Well, hang on not so fast. 

It turns out that I do want it, however petrol  costs will be horrendous... seller says he gets 35mpg out of it. Not sure i believe that, that's cheaper than my old 2.0 petrol Mondeo. 

So now I'm wondering what reasons there are to not buy it. There's one, performance. Or lack thereof. I'm sure if you put 99 octane in (which is apparently required to make the max power) and rev it to its max it's making the alleged 270something horses but as compared with my Roid-boy spec party bus Passat 1.9tdi that's running a ???hp remap it seemed tame at 2000 rpm. But sounds amazing. 

But that's not a reason to not buy it, and I'm left wondering if I actually need to go and pay the man and bring this charming V70 home. 

Damn I'm in a quandary now!

Don't be a test pilot kids, you might regret it. 

10 minutes ago, Tickman said:

Sounds like you need to buy something else quickly....

If only he knew of something suitable to buy quickly…

Marvelousness.

image.thumb.jpg.0079c00a9a24b4728e467ab9c31a01a4.jpg

Thanks to Mrs ODMs utter revile for anything technology related, coupled to her unwillingness to drive on ‘big roads’ we sailed through the Dartford Crossing but we didn’t pay it as we passed through on her phone (like I would as a passenger) so I know it’s hard to believe but after a four hour straight drive from Kent to Leeds, paying this slipped my mind. 

Thankfully, my predisposition for changing vehicles means that I haven’t forgotten to pay it before in the Espace so my first strike has been used up and I got away with £2.50 after a brief and uncomfortable buttock clench on opening the letter.

Moral of the story, drive over it with different cars every time.

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

If only he knew of something suitable to buy quickly…

Problem is that I don't actually want to sell the Passat, so I'm having difficulty letting go of it in my mind!

Plus that this volvo has now thrown a spanner in the works. I was considering two large estates from shitters but now there's an interloper too...

I need my head seeing to. 

The grinder has washed away all my welding sins and my arch is reborn, clean.  I, on the other hand, am absolutely covered in iron filings.

IMAG6053.thumb.jpg.7720519790b1df79592205825385c3b4.jpg

Just the bit of sill that blends into the bottom of the arch and one small patch to cap it off and it's ready for sealant, filler, and paint.

9 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

No Test Pilots! 

That's what I thought of as I went to test drive a lovely and high powered Volvo V70 yesterday. 

I had seen the listing on Faceache, I'm casually browsing large estates and I'm always drawn to Scandinavian wheels.

Anyway it turns out the car was featured in the YouTube channel Car Throttle on their 150mph for £1000 episode, which I watched when it came out a year ago. 

So it was more for my entertainment that I went. The listing seemed honest and sure enough the seller was a decent bloke.

Then I sat in the car. I pretty much wanted to buy it there and then on the basis of the driver's seat!!!

Then I started the engine, it has a full stainless steel exhaust with custom cat.

It turns out that I do want it, however petrol  costs will be horrendous... seller says he gets 35mpg out of it. Not sure i believe that, that's cheaper than my old 2.0 petrol Mondeo. 

So now I'm wondering what reasons there are to not buy it. There's one, performance. Or lack thereof. I'm sure if you put 99 octane in (which is apparently required to make the max power) and rev it to its max it's making the alleged 270something horses but as compared with my Roid-boy spec party bus Passat 1.9tdi that's running a ???hp remap it seemed tame at 2000 rpm. But sounds amazing. 

But that's not a reason to not buy it, and I'm left wondering if I actually need to go and pay the man and bring this charming V70 home. 

I used to get about 34mpg out of my T5 on a run.  They are quite laggy by modern standards (and compared to the LPT versions with their smaller whizzier turbos), not helped by fairly high gearing, but once they're on the boil they fucking fly.  The way mine used to go from 40 to 70 in second gear was quite something.

Of course if you want the ultimate V70 you need to go for the later T6 like Mr Fowler's, although they tend to fetch quite decent money still.

All the welding and grinding DONE.  I'm out of filler so I'll have to put the paint on the outside tomorrow.  Inside is smothered in sealant and once dry, I can get the inner arch all tidied up.  It's been a mission.  I'm glad I've done it, learned a bit along the way with this one.

IMAG6057.thumb.jpg.3a3a21db7709e567f8275073b447bce4.jpg

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

I used to get about 34mpg out of my T5 on a run.  They are quite laggy by modern standards (and compared to the LPT versions with their smaller whizzier turbos), not helped by fairly high gearing, but once they're on the boil they fucking fly.  The way mine used to go from 40 to 70 in second gear was quite something.

Of course if you want the ultimate V70 you need to go for the later T6 like Mr Fowler's, although they tend to fetch quite decent money still.

I don't have that kind of money!

The problem is that while I'm sure it boils like a steam engine the 400nm ish of the diesel passat actually feels and acts much more powerful. 

Anyway, don't get me wrong it was a stunning car, not perfect but stunning. 

I used to run petrols on £60 a week petrol, but I guess I'm used to the £30 a week passat these days. 

I'm still full of indecision: my attainable dream car or my brutal and cheap passat or a different large diesel affordable estate... 🤔

9 hours ago, Ohdearme said:

Marvelousness.

image.thumb.jpg.0079c00a9a24b4728e467ab9c31a01a4.jpg

Thanks to Mrs ODMs utter revile for anything technology related, coupled to her unwillingness to drive on ‘big roads’ we sailed through the Dartford Crossing but we didn’t pay it as we passed through on her phone (like I would as a passenger) so I know it’s hard to believe but after a four hour straight drive from Kent to Leeds, paying this slipped my mind. 

Thankfully, my predisposition for changing vehicles means that I haven’t forgotten to pay it before in the Espace so my first strike has been used up and I got away with £2.50 after a brief and uncomfortable buttock clench on opening the letter.

Moral of the story, drive over it with different cars every time.

Came down the m6toll last month for the first time in a couple of years. Still have to stop and pay, but only cards no cash.

Elgrand earned its keep today collecting a washing machine from Bangor (only one which had the one we wanted in stock)

First long-ish journey we’ve done in it… starting to get used to it now, although the driving experience is very modern compared to what I’m used to! 

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

Came down the m6toll last month for the first time in a couple of years. Still have to stop and pay, but only cards no cash.

I have a tag on the Zanussi.  It's always amusing being overtaken (again) by the lane-3 warriors who had to queue at the péages...

13 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

No Test Pilots! 

I don't think I've ever managed more than 32mpg out of my T5, driving a fairly long run in eco mode. But that's the slushbox.

Normally I get about 25mpg but it sounds so nice..

There are a lot of people complaining about a lack of go from their T5, the boost solenoids die fairly frequently and you start losing their oomph slowly, so you don't really notice until one day it just feels a bit slow. All of the vacuum hoses are a bit crap and tend to fall apart and cause sluggishness.

Mine gives you a good shove in the back right off the line, and as said, the way it can reach instaban speeds it quite something. Side by side with the Mrs's LS V8, the Volvo doesn't feel much slower apart from the lag before the turbo comes on.

The later versions feel quicker, with different cams, rods and a quicker spooling turbo. 

17 minutes ago, juular said:

I don't think I've ever managed more than 32mpg out of my T5, driving a fairly long run in eco mode. But that's the slushbox.

Normally I get about 25mpg but it sounds so nice..

There are a lot of people complaining about a lack of go from their T5, the boost solenoids die fairly frequently and you start losing their oomph slowly, so you don't really notice until one day it just feels a bit slow. All of the vacuum hoses are a bit crap and tend to fall apart and cause sluggishness.

Mine gives you a good shove in the back right off the line, and as said, the way it can reach instaban speeds it quite something. Side by side with the Mrs's LS V8, the Volvo doesn't feel much slower apart from the lag before the turbo comes on.

The later versions feel quicker, with different cams, rods and a quicker spooling turbo. 

I had an early 850 T5 auto for a year. 

The trip computer always said 23mpg, no matter how you drove. On a motorway run you'd get 30. 70 litre tank so fillups were fun* - at the moment that'd be about £90 to brim from empty.
I had to replace all the vacuum lines, and one of the intercooler hoses was split and leaked boost. Replacing that helped a lot. 
Also, it's a bitch of a job but cleaning out the PCV system makes a big difference too. 
It was a great all round car, the only thing that let it down was that it was too expensive to commute in.

If I had that car now I'd be very happy, it's one of my favourites I've owned. 

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

IMG_20210912_142301.thumb.jpg.9156bbac66e668e63ac2c2c968282f86.jpg

One of the wheels on the Berlingo looked terrible, a mixture of flaking paint and rust. I had a spare hour, so sprayed it up. Trouble is, it now makes the other wheels look bad. 

So now you need another spare three hours! I like steel painted wheels a lot better than plastic wheel trims.