The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I do not know as I can not find any information about it. I hope not. And there is a new manifold for the larger Weber carburetors to 1.6 and 1.8 which is similar to mine in attachment so would think it is similar?

It probably uses a different carb because it is a different engine.  It may look the same and use the same basic castings, but it is quite likely to have a hotter camshaft, larger valves, etc. to make best use of the twin barrel carb.   You may get the twin barrel carb to work on the single barrel engine if you can find a manifold, but probably not very well.  Sorry if you know this already.  

10 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

It probably uses a different carb because it is a different engine.  It may look the same and use the same basic castings, but it is quite likely to have a hotter camshaft, larger valves, etc. to make best use of the twin barrel carb.   You may get the twin barrel carb to work on the single barrel engine if you can find a manifold, but probably not very well.  Sorry if you know this already.  

If that is the case then I can live with it as long as it is drivable as I am not looking for performance increases but looking for reliability. And the new carburetor should be set up for this engine. And I find it a little strange if they had such big changes on the same engines series as it would have led to big costs? I also can not find any information that suggests it?

50 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

It's a 2-litre CRD - effectively a VW 2.0 TDI - with a 6-speed manual 'box.  The engine has issues - from cold it overfuels like feck, so it pulls well when you floor it but smokes and stutters a bit on a light throttle.  Then it goes into limp mode, where it runs lovely and smooth and doesn't smoke but takes forever to get up to speed.  Code reader says MAF sensor and EGR valve - there's a new EGR valve in a box in the boot which is handy.

It also has a hole in each outer sill towards the front, and some grot in the rear crossmember.  And it only has a month's test left.

It's actually been quite well looked after by the look of it - there's a stack of paperwork and the tyres are matching Bridgestones all round.  It's a typical American car in that it has all mod cons but the quality of the interior fixtures and fittings is comically crap.

It does look quite nice though.  I think so anyway.

Is this the one with expensive road tax?

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

At the MX5 meet on Sunday a guy I know said he had a friend selling a Citroen Dyane… he just wants rid as it’s in the way. Count me in! He then said it may be a 2CV not a Dyane…. Still fine by me… 

Today he messaged apologising… turns out it was a C3… I’ll pass ta. 

Arnold Clark still doing the +£500 thing?

11 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I am now on the 4th day in the search for an intake manifold for the Audi to get the new carburetor to fit. And I'm running out of ideas where to look. Have searched through ebay, german and swedish used car parts pages and some in the uk. And has searched everything in Norway and has spent a lot of time on the phone today and is the same no one has VW and Audi parts from the 80's anymore. And no one has the right manifold so now everything rests on a scrapyard in western Norway that has a newer Audi 80. So I hope I can be lucky and that it has the right intake.

I have found this site useful for cross referencing parts for my Cavalier diesel which is very hard to find parts for:

https://webautocats.com/etka/audi/a80/

10 hours ago, wuvvum said:

It's a 2-litre CRD - effectively a VW 2.0 TDI - with a 6-speed manual 'box.  The engine has issues - from cold it overfuels like feck, so it pulls well when you floor it but smokes and stutters a bit on a light throttle.  Then it goes into limp mode, where it runs lovely and smooth and doesn't smoke but takes forever to get up to speed.  Code reader says MAF sensor and EGR valve - there's a new EGR valve in a box in the boot which is handy.

It also has a hole in each outer sill towards the front, and some grot in the rear crossmember.  And it only has a month's test left.

It's actually been quite well looked after by the look of it - there's a stack of paperwork and the tyres are matching Bridgestones all round.  It's a typical American car in that it has all mod cons but the quality of the interior fixtures and fittings is comically crap.

It does look quite nice though.  I think so anyway.

Sounds interesting for the money. I kind of like the idea of a big spec but cack quality. Sure you'll have the small fist sized holes welded up in no time! 

Any luck with the 75 switch pack?

21 hours ago, Mr Pastry said:

Is the engine with the single barrel carburettor identical spec. internally to the one with the two barrel carburettor?  

When the 2B2 carb (mk1 Audi 80GL, 85hp)  fell to pieces I replaced it with a single choke from an LS, 75hp. It ran ok but the throttle linkage  was completely different and I went nuts trying to make that linkage work properly, and vengefully scrapped the car, after six good years. There may be internal differences between these engine variants, but the carb. models are so low-tech anyway such differences will be trivial and I would ignore them.

On 9/6/2021 at 4:48 PM, UltraWomble said:

Id be more fearful of falling backwards into the open shaft.

Only been stuck in a lift once - donkeys years ago at Woolworths in the goods lift.  Something tripped the breaker on the main supply to the lift - there I was stuck for ages till the Otis man came  as no one else would touch it and flick it back on.
On the plus side I had some Spira bars to keep me company.

There was no lift shaft to fall in to. I was in the lift, the lift was in the shaft, they tend to be quite a tight fit. Its not like I was outside levering the  outer doors open. 

There was no lift shaft to fall in to. I was in the lift, the lift was in the shaft, they tend to be quite a tight fit. Its not like I was outside levering the  outer doors open. 
I was thinking that there was a gap under the lift from your photo

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

I'm at Oakley Classic meet tonight in Beds. This is nice. Some shitters here too. I'll take some pics later. 

Here we go. Tag yourselves in if you own (or know) the cars. There were lots of lovely things - from the 1920s all the way through to modern Porsche GT3RS and Mustangs. Honestly, there was something for everyone. There were definitely upwards of 350 cars in attendance (apparently the last one was 240 and was pretty busy. These were absolutely packed in and virtually no space).

The ones that will of course tickle your fancies (I didn't get them all - I forgot to take a pic of hte Rover 2200 Vitesse, for instance)
Especially for @Six-cylinder

ylSYFFs.jpg

XbOv0Vl.jpg

A particularly fine H Reg "Starmist" special edition Astra. Unfortunately, it looks like I took the picture with a potato

oCODlbk.jpg

Just couldn't decide what this Seat was doing here, but always have to respect everyone - whatever tickles your fancy

RH8UpP9.jpg

Yes, I can confirm this was for sale for £3000

q0fCbvA.jpg

And it was joined by this rather marvellous modern classic

Qs5uutj.jpg

I know there are some Rover Coop lovers on here.

6efbWp6.jpg

And let's be honest, who doesn't love a Hillman Imp?

I4wHRHR.jpg

And finally, the Mondeo ST24. I love these, but definitely a fan of the blue ones more than the Silver

eiHQ9y3.jpg

11 minutes ago, TheOtherStu said:

Here we go. Tag yourselves in if you own (or know) the cars. There were lots of lovely things - from the 1920s all the way through to modern Porsche GT3RS and Mustangs. Honestly, there was something for everyone. There were definitely upwards of 350 cars in attendance (apparently the last one was 240 and was pretty busy. These were absolutely packed in and virtually no space).

The ones that will of course tickle your fancies (I didn't get them all - I forgot to take a pic of hte Rover 2200 Vitesse, for instance)
Especially for @Six-cylinder

ylSYFFs.jpg

XbOv0Vl.jpg

A particularly fine H Reg "Starmist" special edition Astra. Unfortunately, it looks like I took the picture with a potato

oCODlbk.jpg

Just couldn't decide what this Seat was doing here, but always have to respect everyone - whatever tickles your fancy

RH8UpP9.jpg

Yes, I can confirm this was for sale for £3000

q0fCbvA.jpg

And it was joined by this rather marvellous modern classic

Qs5uutj.jpg

I know there are some Rover Coop lovers on here.

6efbWp6.jpg

And let's be honest, who doesn't love a Hillman Imp?

I4wHRHR.jpg

And finally, the Mondeo ST24. I love these, but definitely a fan of the blue ones more than the Silver

eiHQ9y3.jpg

That's just rubbing it in showing me a 1.9 LTR Cavalier when mine is only a 1.6 LTR!

Dropped mondeo off for its mot, get to work missus rings me up upset that someone's took drivers mirror of my galaxy she using...🤬🤬🤬.

I tell her come to work and with self tapping screws, a cable tie, and some duct tape it looks ok in the next county, oh and they dented the door and windscreen pillar..

IMG-20210908-WA0002.jpg

IMG-20210908-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210908-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20210908-WA0005.jpg

20210908_092218.jpg

20210908_091714.jpg

FINALLY

Got the thermostat for the Cavalier and IT FITS.

Not sure how things will go with the original housing mated to the different top but they certainly appear to fit. We'll see.

The Civic brakes were squealing yesterday and they are down to the indicators. I picked up some new pads today so I'll try to fit those after work. Hopefully nothings seized as I want to crack on with the Cavalier.

Good bodgineering there @stuboy

Reminds me the time I parked my 89 Gallant near the tube in South Woodford  eons ago (19 years!) and came back to a 2" deep 4 foot long gouge on the drivers side rear door just under the window and boot. No not of course .

So far today bar yet another tip run , chasing my tail yadda, I've made the boy something for his birthday.

20210908_120655.jpg