The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Took the MX5 out to the local Mx5 meet this morning… went back via the back roads… 

207A2523-D4F3-441E-8C69-543B2D9939D7.jpeg

And this evening delivered the green 2CV to the welder (as I’m in work when he opens tomorrow) and discovered a large Chod collection as pictured over on my spotted thread! 901C0E6F-3BD5-46E5-B89C-75548A6220EB.jpeg

This 2CV drives so so well, I can’t wait to have it so there’s not loads of holes in the rear end!! 

2 hours ago, captain_70s said:

The Volvo 740 interior is a great* thing to work on, as @davehedgehog31 can attest to. It comes apart/goes back together in one very specific way which I've already blanked from my mind. Good luck.

118617801_2714010678870651_5487272276898918572_n.thumb.jpg.ec23e3ede2ccff01ad793ccccf75b009.jpg

118049316_675859190030303_3563973042731598936_n.jpg

As much as the rest of the car was shit I do miss the blue/tweed interior. Much nicer than my current sea of grey plastic and boring cloth...

Wow I need that interior as replacement for the broken plastic on mine due to re Upholstering my headlining using a hammer. Apparently. 

13 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Missed out the literal short bus they had! 😁

48A87C16-ACFC-41FD-AEF5-AA7DC2134240.thumb.jpeg.3988ad490080bed61e29070a3311a3a6.jpeg

That's almost a forerunner of the Dennis Dart (which was a bit longer).

In the late 1990s, I used to travel on the Dart-dominated Routes 28/328/31, which coincided with First Group having a number of drivers of Somali origin, based at Westbourne Park. They were hilarious*, often driving the Darts as if on a racing circuit or dodging machine gun fire in Mogadishu. They weren't afraid to cut up other traffic to try to get ahead of schedule. All this was fun* for standing passengers in the lower ⅔rd section of the bus, who would have to hang on grimly or slide to the back under heavy acceleration, or slide forward under heavy braking.

This could be of interest to those who have an old/older car and need new sills. There's a company round here, Tipton, who can shape sheet metal to nearly any form.  Straight lengths up to 2/2.5 metres. If you can't get replacement sills, and they are straight, this company can do them. You will have to shape the ends but that isn't too difficult. I'll find out how much, roughly, on Wednesday when I pick up the shaped piece I've ordered, not a sill. The garage I use get them for MX5's and I think they said are about £40.

The company is called Bowgriff Sections and all you need is a form of the shape you need. 0121 557 1117.

On 9/3/2021 at 12:56 AM, Zelandeth said:

Climbing out of a lift stuck between floors when you're not absolutely certain that the master switch is off and physically locked out...No thanks. 

Id be more fearful of falling backwards into the open shaft.

Only been stuck in a lift once - donkeys years ago at Woolworths in the goods lift.  Something tripped the breaker on the main supply to the lift - there I was stuck for ages till the Otis man came  as no one else would touch it and flick it back on.
On the plus side I had some Spira bars to keep me company.

4 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

That's almost a forerunner of the Dennis Dart (which was a bit longer).

In the late 1990s, I used to travel on the Dart-dominated Routes 28/328/31, which coincided with First Group having a number of drivers of Somali origin, based at Westbourne Park. They were hilarious*, often driving the Darts as if on a racing circuit or dodging machine gun fire in Mogadishu. They weren't afraid to cut up other traffic to try to get ahead of schedule. All this was fun* for standing passengers in the lower ⅔rd section of the bus, who would have to hang on grimly or slide to the back under heavy acceleration, or slide forward under heavy braking.

A local independent firm back in Donny had some 'interesting' tactics. They undercut Mainline to win contracts on 'quiet' routes, intended for Darts or Metroriders going round housing estates every half hour etc. Many were circulars, and the name of the game quickly descended into "how quickly can I get around this circle, timed for 55 minutes, and get back to the bus station". That is one thing in a little minibus, but the allocations were never fixed and an Atlantean or Fleetline would often be dragged out. Hurtling around the back-streets doing a slalom between parked cars in a vehicle of questionable roadworthiness that was several times bigger than what the route was designed for, had a certain excitement as a child. Obviously, this was pre buses being GPS tracked!

On 9/2/2021 at 9:35 PM, JJ0063 said:

It just needs a heat gun going over it to bring the grey back to life.

That reminds me, there was overspray on the bonnet latch, clearly had paint on the bonnet. I couldn’t see any other repairs and I’m too tight to pay £3 for a HPI.

Wait, what?

I have an MR2 with a similar issue. How does this work?

When the merc was collected the battery was flat. Six or seven weeks standing. My lithium pack was deployed for the first time and the car started without a problem. It says up to 3litres, but this 3.2 worked. Only down one light out of the full four charged too.

I’m impressed. Tayna.co.uk have them.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/jump-packs/energizer/energizer-50805/

2F905D0C-9E3B-4D51-83EB-672E18637054.jpeg

I am now on the 4th day in the search for an intake manifold for the Audi to get the new carburetor to fit. And I'm running out of ideas where to look. Have searched through ebay, german and swedish used car parts pages and some in the uk. And has searched everything in Norway and has spent a lot of time on the phone today and is the same no one has VW and Audi parts from the 80's anymore. And no one has the right manifold so now everything rests on a scrapyard in western Norway that has a newer Audi 80. So I hope I can be lucky and that it has the right intake.

6 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I am now on the 4th day in the search for an intake manifold for the Audi to get the new carburetor to fit. And I'm running out of ideas where to look. Have searched through ebay, german and swedish used car parts pages and some in the uk. And has searched everything in Norway and has spent a lot of time on the phone today and is the same no one has VW and Audi parts from the 80's anymore. And no one has the right manifold so now everything rests on a scrapyard in western Norway that has a newer Audi 80. So I hope I can be lucky and that it has the right intake.

What engine is this?  1.6 / 1.8 four cylinder?

At the MX5 meet on Sunday a guy I know said he had a friend selling a Citroen Dyane… he just wants rid as it’s in the way. Count me in! He then said it may be a 2CV not a Dyane…. Still fine by me… 

Today he messaged apologising… turns out it was a C3… I’ll pass ta. 

6 minutes ago, MJK 24 said:

It it different from a Golf / Jetta / Scirocco with the Audi engine being longitudinal?

Golf / Jetta and more have the same I think. But is also a change do not know when where the intake became different. As the picture below which is a 1987 Passat possible this one has injection as replaced the carburetors?

Intake manifold (inlet manifold) for volkswagen passat 1988 fr1122958-71

This is how mine looks towards the engine, so there is a clear difference.

20210903_112646.thumb.jpg.cea64b0ed47d2445c27e610801eff0e7.jpg

So I what I have to find is one that is similar to mine and is for Pierburg 2B or Pierburg 2E2 / 2E3 carburetor.

2 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Golf / Jetta and more have the same I think. But is also a change do not know when where the intake became different. As the picture below which is a 1987 Passat possible this one has injection as replaced the carburetors?

Intake manifold (inlet manifold) for volkswagen passat 1988 fr1122958-71

This is how mine looks towards the engine, so there is a clear difference.

20210903_112646.thumb.jpg.cea64b0ed47d2445c27e610801eff0e7.jpg

So I what I have to find is one that is similar to mine and is for Pierburg 2B or Pierburg 2E2 / 2E3 carburetor.

F8697D8A-8661-4F17-9394-5FABDCC66279.thumb.png.3098bd852c4fdb91a33e15f7f1ca5b07.png