The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

58 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

The Defender managed to eject the ignition switch from the back of the steering lock so I thought it might be a good idea to trace a small intermittent electrical fault at the same time. Now I’m not so sure it was such a good idea.

749219F3-91F9-4B41-A98D-2A4092B705C8.jpeg

9B199594-5C0E-4AB9-80CE-91CC187B44C3.jpeg

Looks pretty much like a normal day in any one I've ever been in!

Granted they were all farm hacks so that's not saying much.

2 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Looks pretty much like a normal day in any one I've ever been in!

Granted they were all farm hacks so that's not saying much.

Well it is nearly 30 years old and has done over 200k miles. It does get worked hard as well. It seems to just be poor earths as the relays for wipers, indicators and lights seemed to all want to work together, suggesting they’re back feeding. 

Turns out that my Volvo 740 Heater matrix is leaking. 

Option 1: bypass from the engine bay for now. Dry out interior and wait until I have time and inclination to do it properly. 

Option 2: immediately start stripping dash down (when i get the time) and take the few weeks or more that it actually takes me to get it ready for duty in winter. 

Option 3: take it straight for a repair quote.

Ventured out on the m25 this morning to visit Outwood near godstone for a walk.  Coming back traffic was slow from cobham services for a bit which turned out to be an expired 20reg Range Rover on the hard shoulder. Then traffic slow again until I came off at chertsey so don’t know what the trouble there was. 

New car is good at motorways but the concrete sections on the m25 round there are a lot noisier than the merc. Could be the tyres I suppose. I’ve always used Goodyear efficientgrip performance but the new fiat is on falken azenis.

22 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

Then traffic slow again until I came off at chertsey so don’t know what the trouble there was.

Chertsey is always a slow spot. It's the sheer weight of traffic trying to get in at 9:00 that usually holds me up when I'm heading home from college.

7 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Chertsey is always a slow spot. It's the sheer weight of traffic trying to get in at 9:00 that usually holds me up when I'm heading home from college.

Lunatic drivers probably don’t help. 8.30 on the trip out, a gangster spec Range Rover with very small personal plate was dawdling in lane three of four for miles when there was only me in lane one with the cruise control on 70. Then as we are passing j7nction 8 I think decided that they really wanted that exit after all and swerves left to cross three lanes and the hatch markings.

air ambulance has just landed on the cricket pitch here in bagshot. Not sure why, no sign of immediate crashes and no activity in swinley forest.

1 hour ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Turns out that my Volvo 740 Heather matrix is leaking. 

Option 1: bypass from the engine bay for now. Dry out interior and wait until I have time and inclination to do it properly. 

Option 2: immediately start stripping dash down (when i get the time) and take the few weeks or more that it actually takes me to get it ready for duty in winter. 

Soz, but it did sound like a distinct possibility when you described the symptoms. My 2 penneth (having been there in the past)

1. Yep, works fine. You'll then 'keep meaning to fix it' until December when you'll start getting frost on the inside of the screen and curse yourself for not sorting it when the sun shone

2. Painful, but I'd vote for this. Do it now while you have a backup car and good weather. The part is cheap but the process of accessing it is not fun.

3. See #2. Quotes will be expensive purely due to the amount of labour involved

EDIT - forgot to mention, when you opt for #1, then get frost on the inside of the screen, don't bother with one of the ebay 12v heaters. They are utter, utter cack. You're significantly warmer taking the money they cost and setting fire to the equivalent amount in notes. Its quicker, easier and a LOT warmer.

22 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Soz, but it did sound like a distinct possibility when you described the symptoms. My 2 penneth (having been there in the past)

1. Yep, works fine. You'll then 'keep meaning to fix it' until December when you'll start getting frost on the inside of the screen and curse yourself for not sorting it when the sun shone

2. Painful, but I'd vote for this. Do it now while you have a backup car and good weather. The part is cheap but the process of accessing it is not fun.

3. See #2. Quotes will be expensive purely due to the amount of labour involved

2 is the obvious sensible choice... 

2 hours ago, Cord Fourteener said:

Turns out that my Volvo 740 Heather matrix is leaking. 

The Volvo 740 interior is a great* thing to work on, as @davehedgehog31 can attest to. It comes apart/goes back together in one very specific way which I've already blanked from my mind. Good luck.

118617801_2714010678870651_5487272276898918572_n.thumb.jpg.ec23e3ede2ccff01ad793ccccf75b009.jpg

118049316_675859190030303_3563973042731598936_n.jpg

As much as the rest of the car was shit I do miss the blue/tweed interior. Much nicer than my current sea of grey plastic and boring cloth...

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

Went to the Scottish Vintage Bus Museum today.

Buses!

IMG_8303.jpg

IMG_8310.jpg

IMG_8305.jpg

IMG_8312.jpg

IMG_8311.jpg

IMG_8308.jpg

IMG_8306.jpg

Many, many things in those photos I'd like a shot of driving.

One looks identical to one I have driven though.  There's an Albion up at the Grampian Transport Museum which looks very like that one which I've had a shot of.

Interesting experience...at a guess, about 50bhp on tap I think when all four cylinders eventually decided to join the party.  Gear ratios so widely spaced that you basically go from "about to explode" to "nearly stall" on every gear change (and the opposite going the other way) don't exactly help there either.  Said gears are physically spaced such that 1st and 3rd are basically on the floor, 2nd and 4th require you to wedge your elbow against the back of the cab.  Oh, and it really hurts when you crack your chin on the steering wheel going from 2nd to 3rd and bite your tongue.  You basically drive crouched looking through a few inch tall gap between the ridiculously high steering wheel and ridiculously low top of the windscreen.  The wiper motor is helpfully positioned in precisely the least helpful location.  Steering while moving isn't too heavy, though parking basically requires you to brace a foot against the bulkhead and haul with every muscle in your body.  While driving you have to continually dance with the manual advance/retard ignition controls and the mixture setting.  Centre throttle pedal didn't actually phase me as much as I expected it to.  The almost complete lack of brakes though, that was honestly scary.  Emergency stop from walking pace is about two bus lengths.  Performance...well realistically top speed down hill is probably about 35-40mph.  No idea really as the only instrument is an oil pressure gauge... though given the total lack of meaningful brakes, that's more than enough.  Town driving is a challenge...not only because it takes so long to stop...but because it also takes so long to move off that it is physically impossible to get through a set of traffic lights before they change!  A LOT of forward planning is needed.

Thankfully the majority of drivers see a 20s bus and just get out of your way!

Took the MX5 out to the local Mx5 meet this morning… went back via the back roads… 

207A2523-D4F3-441E-8C69-543B2D9939D7.jpeg

And this evening delivered the green 2CV to the welder (as I’m in work when he opens tomorrow) and discovered a large Chod collection as pictured over on my spotted thread! 901C0E6F-3BD5-46E5-B89C-75548A6220EB.jpeg

This 2CV drives so so well, I can’t wait to have it so there’s not loads of holes in the rear end!! 

2 hours ago, captain_70s said:

The Volvo 740 interior is a great* thing to work on, as @davehedgehog31 can attest to. It comes apart/goes back together in one very specific way which I've already blanked from my mind. Good luck.

118617801_2714010678870651_5487272276898918572_n.thumb.jpg.ec23e3ede2ccff01ad793ccccf75b009.jpg

118049316_675859190030303_3563973042731598936_n.jpg

As much as the rest of the car was shit I do miss the blue/tweed interior. Much nicer than my current sea of grey plastic and boring cloth...

Wow I need that interior as replacement for the broken plastic on mine due to re Upholstering my headlining using a hammer. Apparently. 

13 hours ago, 17-Coffees said:

Missed out the literal short bus they had! 😁

48A87C16-ACFC-41FD-AEF5-AA7DC2134240.thumb.jpeg.3988ad490080bed61e29070a3311a3a6.jpeg

That's almost a forerunner of the Dennis Dart (which was a bit longer).

In the late 1990s, I used to travel on the Dart-dominated Routes 28/328/31, which coincided with First Group having a number of drivers of Somali origin, based at Westbourne Park. They were hilarious*, often driving the Darts as if on a racing circuit or dodging machine gun fire in Mogadishu. They weren't afraid to cut up other traffic to try to get ahead of schedule. All this was fun* for standing passengers in the lower ⅔rd section of the bus, who would have to hang on grimly or slide to the back under heavy acceleration, or slide forward under heavy braking.