The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Last minute dash with sisters, brother not communicating to each other ment mot failure to be parked at my place, my galaxy to be used by future mrs stuboy, her old focus princess chariot given to her sister so she can get to work tommorow, but the pink 5 spoke wheels HAD to come off, so there s me rushing like a mad man trying to please everyone involved... all I got was moaned at, and realisation my left hand/wrist is too painfull to pickup heavy stuff.🥲🥲🥲🥲

20210902_174728.jpg

I went to view a T5 camper tonight, don’t know why but driving over there I just had a feeling that it wasn’t for me even before I’d seen it.

It was a bit worse than described but not awful to be honest..

It’s a 2004 1.9tdi with 289k on the clock.. it actually started an ran really really well all things considered! My plan was to stick a set of alloys on it and paint it with military paint.

What I wasn’t keen on was the fact the windscreen had a big crack on the passenger side albeit out of the swept area, airbag light on, remote locking faulty, strut top mounts knocking like mad, rear roof lining hanging off in one corner, timing belt is due on age not miles, it’s also clearly been sat for a while going by all the cobwebs in the arches which is worrying as it passed it’s MOT a month ago.

I’m terrible at just buying cars because I want them but with this, I just had that sinking feeling as though the money was safer in the bank.

Annoyed as we all I’m sure feel the same when we go and view a car then don’t buy it, but I’m trying to be sensible…

5C51E410-CF98-4059-9E63-A0610078856C.jpeg

12 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I went to view a T5 camper tonight, don’t know why but driving over there I just had a feeling that it wasn’t for me even before I’d seen it.

It’s a 2004 1.9tdi with 289k on the clock.. it actually started an ran really really well all things considered! My plan was to stick a set of alloys on it and paint it with military paint.

What I wasn’t keen on was the fact the windscreen had a big crack on the passenger side albeit out of the swept area, airbag light on, remote locking faulty, strut top mounts knocking like mad, rear roof lining hanging off in one corner, timing belt is due on age not miles, it’s also clearly been sat for a while going by all the cobwebs in the arches which is worrying as it passed it’s MOT a month ago.

I’m terrible at just buying cars because I want them but with this, I just had that sinking feeling as though the money was safer in the bank.

Annoyed as we all I’m sure feel the same when we go and view a car then don’t buy it, but I’m trying to be sensible…

god that front is dissmal

2 minutes ago, stuboy said:

god that front is dissmal

It just needs a heat gun going over it to bring the grey back to life.

That reminds me, there was overspray on the bonnet latch, clearly had paint on the bonnet. I couldn’t see any other repairs and I’m too tight to pay £3 for a HPI.

Today I got stuck in a lift. It just stopped with a massive bang. It went from moving to not moving instantly. I was able to slide the inner door open easily, though it kept wanting to spring back. From here I could see I was between floors with the floor roughly at chest level. But the outer doors of either floor wouldn't budge. 

So I pressed the emergency button and got  a terrible line to a woman somewhere. Luckily she could here me but she was all Norman Collier to me. But after about ten minutes she'd figured out where I was and said someone was on their way. So I sat there for another ten minutes but got bored (my phone worked for phone calls but not Internet so I couldn't even browse AS). I have a very low boredom threshold. 

So I thought let's have another look at this outer door. I soon found this bit moved up and down. 

930362818_IMG_20210902_1200122.thumb.jpg.bc013d2c0e29454867d6532675372afa.jpg

And when you lifted it you could just slide the outer door open. You can clearly see my foot wedging the inner door open and that's the first floor at the top of the picture. Once the door was open I could tantalisingly see the outside world. 

IMG_20210902_120028.thumb.jpg.5cb030b98e732d83b57c1f5537680977.jpg

This doesn't show the perspective well but I was pinning one door open with my foot and holding the other open with one hand whilst trying to take a picture with the other. Anyway, it was about a four or five foot drop to the floor. So I stood there for a bit contemplating the best way out. Both doors were spring loaded and I had a bag of mail with me. But just then somebody came in the main door so I asked them to hold the doors and I jumped out, thanked them and left. 

I was a couple of blocks up the road when I saw a Stour Lifts van turn into the car park. That was about half an hour later, so that's not bad, certainly better than the AA or RAC these days. I thought about walking back to explain the empty lift but I was late by now and he's a lift engineer, he should be able to figure out how I escaped on his own. 

Climbing out of a lift stuck between floors when you're not absolutely certain that the master switch is off and physically locked out...No thanks. 

There are half a dozen interlocks to prevent the car being moved when any door isn't fully closed (and those safety systems having a fit is usually the reason for lift cars randomly stopping).  Would I for a second trust them not to cut me in half when I was half way through climbing out...not a chance in hell.

Congratulations on figuring it out...but better you than me!

From someone who worked in a 16 storey building where the lifts had been held together by duct tape and willpower for the last ten years when I got there and at least one of the four did something wacky at least once a week.

The service lift was always a laugh...the ramping on the motor hadn't worked for years... it's amazing how much a cable stretches and how much it can make the car bounce when it starts or stops over that distance!  You always could tell when someone new to the building was in it, usually about the point they fell over when it took off.

I do admit that it scared the crap out of me first time I used it...boarded on floor 13 going down, and it basically felt like the cable had been cut the millisecond I pressed the button for the first floor.

Funnily enough the horrendously shonky service lift (and the control panel in that WAS literally held together by duct tape) was the one that never broke down the whole time I was there!

2 hours ago, HMC said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-58424221

A consultation or some such about adding a levy on older vehicles using the m4 in wales. It’s proposed as an option for pre 2006 petrol and pre 2015 diesel vehicles.

Fuck, and I cannot stress this enough, off. 

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

There are half a dozen interlocks to prevent the car being moved when any door isn't fully closed (and those safety systems having a fit is usually the reason for lift cars randomly stopping). 

about 10 years ago I once accidentally triggered one of those interlocks while in a lift in a hotel in a different country

and much like @Yoss the lift stopped with a THUNK between floors, only I was about 11, and I quickly found out that all the emergency button did was sound a really loud internal alarm...

I dont think it actually actively did anything other then make a loud noise

so that was rather distressing to say the least!, eventually I was able to grab the attention of someone on the floor bellow and the hotel crew eventually after being unable to get it going again, manually winched the lift to a hidden basement floor which was fun to see (especially as the lighting scheme was completely different to the rest of the hotel)

and I got a free pizza on the Hotels food place which was nice LOL

thankfully I had already seen (multiple times by then in fact because the whole series is awesome) the Secret life of machines the Lift 

so I had a good understanding of what was going on/how the lift operated, what the rescue options where and that I was not stuck in there for the rest of my days

but it was still was not very fun!

at least I think im pretty sure it was one of those interlocks as it happened when I noticed a slight gap in the doors and Put my face up to it to see if I could peek into the lift shaft and observe anything interesting and I gently stuck a couple fingers in the space to see if I could make just a little bit wider to get a better view when *THUNK*,

I never did tell anyone about that at the time, I just said the lift stopped suddenly...

6 hours ago, wuvvum said:

In that scenario I'd be worried that the lift would restart when I was halfway out and chop me in two.

5 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Climbing out of a lift stuck between floors when you're not absolutely certain that the master switch is off and physically locked out...No thanks. 

There are half a dozen interlocks to prevent the car being moved when any door isn't fully closed (and those safety systems having a fit is usually the reason for lift cars randomly stopping).  Would I for a second trust them not to cut me in half when I was half way through climbing out...not a chance in hell.

Congratulations on figuring it out...but better you than me!

From someone who worked in a 16 storey building where the lifts had been held together by duct tape and willpower for the last ten years when I got there and at least one of the four did something wacky at least once a week.

The service lift was always a laugh...the ramping on the motor hadn't worked for years... it's amazing how much a cable stretches and how much it can make the car bounce when it starts or stops over that distance!  You always could tell when someone new to the building was in it, usually about the point they fell over when it took off.

I do admit that it scared the crap out of me first time I used it...boarded on floor 13 going down, and it basically felt like the cable had been cut the millisecond I pressed the button for the first floor.

Funnily enough the horrendously shonky service lift (and the control panel in that WAS literally held together by duct tape) was the one that never broke down the whole time I was there!

I must admit that never even occurred to me. Although once the doors were being held open I was out in about two seconds so had it restarted I reckon I'd still be out in time. 

I hate lifts due to working in a hotel, and the lift buttons always gave me a massive belt of static, same with the light switches in all the rooms. 

Had to just take it like a man when in the public areas but the service lift buttons got smashed by every random non metallic object I could find over a few year period. 

Didn't even matter what shoes I wore. At work the zip tap gives me a tingle if I wear my posh shoes, but wearing trainers is fine. 

14 hours ago, stuboy said:

Last minute dash with sisters, brother not communicating to each other ment mot failure to be parked at my place, my galaxy to be used by future mrs stuboy, her old focus princess chariot given to her sister so she can get to work tommorow, but the pink 5 spoke wheels HAD to come off, so there s me rushing like a mad man trying to please everyone involved... all I got was moaned at, and realisation my left hand/wrist is too painfull to pickup heavy stuff.🥲🥲🥲🥲

20210902_174728.jpg

tell them all to FRO and do it themselves next time!😁

i'm sure someone of A/S will visit you in hospital!

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Does the electricity go a bit mad every time you walk into a room!??

Was the carpet I think. And the size of the place meant walking on alot of carpet. 

Everyone goes a little bit mad when I enter the room. Never fully worked out why 🤔

14 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

How much was it?

15 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Found the noise. I wonder what this means for the strut?

That sounds like the Creaky Strut thing BXs do.  There's some info on fixes here: https://www.bxclub.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11771  Basically the strut isn't getting lubricated and/or has a bit of dirt lodged (it doesn't take much) that's making a bit of noise as the strut operates.