The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

33 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I played 'commuting from the office to peterborough' this morning and the answer is nope! 

Poor xsara got awoken from her slumber to be thrown 90 miles, then a day of rest and thrown 90 miles back! The car would be alright, I couldn't do that every day though! 

I did 50miles each way in the early nineties in my 2cv. Took exactly 1hour but had to fill up every other day. Did 24,000miles the first year. The 2cv had four services, and a new engine! I now hate commuting and moved to be in cycling distance to work. It takes about 28mins to cycle and anything from 18mins to 90mins to drive depending on whether the m3 is broken.

58 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I played 'commuting from the office to peterborough' this morning and the answer is nope! 

Poor xsara got awoken from her slumber to be thrown 90 miles, then a day of rest and thrown 90 miles back! The car would be alright, I couldn't do that every day though! 

25 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I did 50miles each way in the early nineties in my 2cv. Took exactly 1hour but had to fill up every other day. Did 24,000miles the first year. The 2cv had four services, and a new engine! I now hate commuting and moved to be in cycling distance to work. It takes about 28mins to cycle and anything from 18mins to 90mins to drive depending on whether the m3 is broken.

Mrs6C is current doing 90 miles a day vising a client daily. The ZX seems to to doing the lions share of the work. It did have to have a wheel bearing changed when it was forced back into hard use.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

First day back in the office today. How else to show the other commuters you are an aspiring independent businessman?

G. L. S.

20210819_073205.jpg

If it was an L, you'd have had to leave it parked out of the way on a backstreet or something. Having said that, if yours was a GSi model, you'd have to shuffle yours along to give priority to the upstart with headlamp wipers. 

How does it drive now it's back up and running well again? Mk3s are such decent cars. If they didn't develop crispy derrieres so badly, they'd truly be a car for life I reckon. 

39 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

The problem is (and it won't happen anyway but its fun to discuss) is the bloody horrible route! Peterborough to the wing turning of the a5 is a doddle. Wing to thame takes as long again at 35/40 mph! I'd go insane. 

I do like my commute tbh (even though its a bit alien to me now). I know it blindfolded* and know all the alternate routes and which one to not go for at x o'clock or 'oh shit the m40 is fucking fucked m8' bloody Bledlow ridge but doing a journey like that there's only 3 ways in and one of those is the m25... 

@gnomeotis thinking of moving to Leicester and bending the office rules to in twice a week... I'd recommend having a travelogue booked and a trial run one morning maybe... 

5 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I will now go and look at a car and hopefully there will be a purchase coming more later!

I have now become the owner of a Beige Audi with a green interior.

20210819_194032.thumb.jpg.b1601461a7f6fd1845db5aa443c4f9bf.jpg

Has been a long day and is tired so you only get this one bad picture. And this is the car I posted in the ebay thread a few days ago. Do you want me to start a thread on this and the other things I do as tractors and other things?

12 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Has been a long day and is tired so you only get this one bad picture. And this is the car I posted in the ebay thread a few days ago. Do you want me to start a thread on this and the other things I do as tractors and other things?

Yes Please. 

Nice Audi you've got there!

35 minutes ago, Dick Longbridge said:

If it was an L, you'd have had to leave it parked out of the way on a backstreet or something. Having said that, if yours was a GSi model, you'd have to shuffle yours along to give priority to the upstart with headlamp wipers. 

How does it drive now it's back up and running well again? Mk3s are such decent cars. If they didn't develop crispy derrieres so badly, they'd truly be a car for life I reckon. 

Running decent now man, no overheating any more, I forgot how much I liked it.

59 minutes ago, holbeck said:

Yes Please. 

Nice Audi you've got there!

35 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

Looks a belter, looking forward to the thread 👍

Thank you both. And I will do it tomorrow and make a thread on this and can then also get some proper pictures taken.

35 minutes ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Halfords have a sale on some of their Advanced socket sets at the moment - good if you're looking for one.

I got the 175PC - £200 down from £255 (and I got some additional discount on top through a friend and a trade card bringing it to £170~ or so which was nice)

That looks like a decent set.  A lot of the Halfrauds socket sets seem to be 12-pointers, which I don't like.

Mind you my "Torq" socket set that I bought in the sale at B&Q 15 years ago is still going strong - I had to replace the 17mm socket as I broke it trying to get a wheel off a Fiat Punto, and a couple of months back I replaced one of the screws holding the ratchet together as the original had come undone and fallen out somewhere, but other than that it's been spot on.

1 hour ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Has it got the cental locking worked by air? 

I had a mid 1980s Audi 80 and it always made me chuckle when the compressor kicked in to unlock the doors. 

Just now, andyberg said:

Has it got the cental locking worked by air? 

I had a mid 1980s Audi 80 and it always made me chuckle when the compressor kicked in to unlock the doors. 

No it does not have it as this is a CL so is the base model. And that sounded like an interesting locking system i have never heard of it before.

3 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

That was a common thing on a lot of German cars in the '80s.  I'm sure some Mercs had it too.

Yeah.  My W124 and current 190 have it.  Vacuum operated central locking.

Merc also used vacuum for headlamp alignment and raising and lowering read head rests.  Plus the stop solenoids on their diesel plodders.

Both Merc and Audi used vacuum to operate their heater valves.

I’m sure there’s more I’ve missed.

1 hour ago, SmokinWaffle said:

Halfords have a sale on some of their Advanced socket sets

Handily Halfords Advanced stuff comes with a lifetime guarantee. You break it, they'll replace it. 

In other news, went to view a car.... liked it....had a good chat with the owner......put down a deposit

2 hours ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

That looks a very nice example. I had a green Audi 80 with a brown interior back in the 90's.DSCF1382.thumb.JPG.5dfab2a0795305c25eb85b157d4e6981.JPG

In other news I've been getting the Rover ready for its MOT tomorrow.