The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, Schaefft said:

@andy18sYou should probably post some of these in the Ebay Tat thread, could be some really interesting deals to be had if you can be bothered to collect them down there!

Collecting them would be the easiest(!) part, getting anything into the UK is a complete clusterfek now

23 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

What's the craic with the Bulgarian emissions rules now? I presume level one basically means these cars are taxed off the road?

Anything after 2001 gets a coloured sticker based on the manufacturer's stated emissions, the car then needs to be somewhere near those figures when it gets mot'd 

At the mo it's all claiming to be about being able to exclude the higher polluting vehicles from various urban areas,but it will obviously be morphed into higher taxation for the worst offenders 

Had a visit from a fellow AS'er who is holidaying not to far away from me. Great to put a face to a name and to actually have a visitor!

Even better when he tells me of a scrapyard not too far from me that lets you take things off yourself. Even sent me some video footage of his visit there after he left here

Good to see you mate-welcome back anytime.

18 hours ago, stuboy said:

Funky wallpaper revealed...

IMG-20210807-WA0007.jpg

IMG-20210807-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20210807-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20210807-WA0010.jpg

Would not be out of place in a curry house. Would that be flock-lined wallpaper?

17 hours ago, Fumbler said:

....I forget which era pine cladding was fashionable. Mid 1970s?

Definitely 1970s for vertical strip plank cladding - my parents lined their kitchen with it in their previous house!

4 hours ago, MorrisItalSLX said:

Pine cladding is very 1980s where I come from.

They were a decade behind!

Achievement unlocked: Using the 3D printer to create replacements for broken bits of car.

IMG_20210809_201754.thumb.jpg.d7f0fb88005f3bc4e9f3a55a610796d9.jpg

In this case the pull handle for the secondary bonnet catch.

Should be black but I don't currently have any black filament.  If it works well I might redo it in black.  For now there's paint though!

24 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

Achievement unlocked: Using the 3D printer to create replacements for broken bits of car.

IMG_20210809_201754.thumb.jpg.d7f0fb88005f3bc4e9f3a55a610796d9.jpg

In this case the pull handle for the secondary bonnet catch.

Should be black but I don't currently have any black filament.  If it works well I might redo it in black.  For now there's paint though!

Wow will you be able to add blue tint for printing full size Invacars!😁

IMG_20210809_201656539.jpg

We were originally intending on changing the clutch on this Fiesta, affectionately named "Fuckface", but decided it wasn't worth the hassle. It's had a vacuum leak through the brake servo for god knows how long and the engine has been running very rich as the MAP sensor is reading the throttle as being open. The fear is that it's fouled the cat, so we're getting that tested tomorrow. An attempt was made (but no photos were taken) to change the front pads and discs, but in true Eurocarparts fashion, the discs were too thick for the calipers, and we should be swapping them tomorrow. Removing the wheels revealed shagged front CV joints, even more thoroughly shagged front wishbone bushes, and brake hoses with a surface like a sausage roll. We disconnected the inoperative brake servo and plugged the vacuum line with a piece of Sainsbury's bag and some RTV then waited for it to get up to temperature to see if it would correct the rich running.

image.thumb.png.b122caa27b1f3af12175fa5be07cce8d.png 

This was when a gaping hole in the thermostat housing became apparent.

IMG_20210809_201713906.jpg?width=352&hei

It appears that a self tapping screw or something else capable of cutting THREADS has been driven through this thermostat housing. That layer of sticky brown is stop leak, which seems to have just coated the inside of the cylinder head without making it anywhere near the leak.

IMG_20210809_202103471.jpg?width=352&hei

Yet more RTV combined with the spike from the end of a flower basket hanger makes for a perfect repair, which should last all the way to the pre-M.O.T and hopefully back to either this yard or the scrap yard.

After waiting nearly 2 weeks for a new waterpump for my Cavalier, I received it today and IT DOESNT FUCKING FIT.

The pulley mount is too small.

20210810_122531.thumb.jpg.3fb5fccbf3ebb7d15474d870af812b84.jpg20210810_122538.thumb.jpg.3fd4bc51cfe6081dbaf79687a3e6a2e2.jpg

Clearly and specifically listed for a Cavalier 1.7TD.

It's from ebay thankfully it was only only tenner.

Now, the gasket fits the old pump, and it is actually slightly less stiff to turn than the new one so I'm presuming it's OK. 

Do I just refit it? It's driven by the aux belt so I guess absolute perfect condition isn't as important than if it were driven by the timing belt.

I tried my hardest to lease an interesting,  hybrid/EV through work. They are very suitable for my needs, and I genuinely believe they're the future especially for people like me with a 9 mile commute. 

New car dealers and massive wait times scuppered that, so I'm driving to bristol tomorrow to have a look at this instead

Image 11 - VW T25 Syncro Doka 4WD Crew cab 2.1