The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I am being seduced by the dark side. Local Citroen dealer is calling me back on Monday. You’d think I’d have learned after the c5 experience, but since that was ten years ago I’m hoping they’ve got better. Can’t believe the price of new family sized cars though.

Edit. Matt has just called back. Apparently the parts manager is using it at the moment, and he lives in Bournemouth. So rather than 4miles on the odometer it now has 7,500 but they’ve only dropped the price by £800. Hmm.

8 hours ago, SiC said:

Ecu sets are cheap enough for them nowadays:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-MK8-2006-2011-2-2-CTDI-ECU-LOCKSET-KIT-FREE-FAST-P-P-/154398317445

Non-start and bricking from body computers getting wet is something that happens to pretty much every modern car. Also as I said before the Civic mk8 is incredibly simple against similar other aged modern cars! Wait till you try sorting a German electrically of a similar age. Tens of module, each with individual coding and the newer they are, the more they are linked together and not replaceable. 

I fixed it. Got a scan tool with the HDS software and it let me access the various modules and immobiliser. The main problem seemed to be the fusebox code was wiped so wasn't sending the ok to the ECM. It still had the keys still stored etc but the IMMOES wasn't paired to the ECM. Went through the procedure to fit a new one and pair, bingo, green key light off, fired up first try.

Now i just need to nail down why it happened to begin with,

7 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

To get at the ignition section, you need to take the panel off. To get the panel off, you need to remove the steering wheel. To remove the steering wheel, you need a 22mm socket.....

Oh, sorry, forgot about the ignition switch.

1 minute ago, richardmorris said:

The deepest I got was replacing bulbs in the dash. 

I previously repaired the triple LCD display without much trouble, but it needed three broken units to make one good one.

I'm not touching the instrument pod bulbs until they start failing.

Whilst the panel is off, I can swap the auto gear display for the brand new one. Not getting more ambitious than that.

1 minute ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I previously repaired the triple LCD display without much trouble, but it needed three broken units to make one good one.

I'm not touching the instrument pod bulbs until they start failing.

Whilst the panel is off, I can swap the auto gear display for the brand new one. Not getting more ambitious than that.

Bon chance!

I've done 225 miles in the Škoda today.  The coolant level has dropped slightly but is still above the minimum.  Oil has also dropped very slightly but it's leaking from the rocker cover which won't be helping - I might have to take that off and reseat it.  Coolant still smells a bit oily but I think that's because I didn't drain it properly when I did the head gasket - I only found the primary drain plug, I missed the secondary one.  Oil is still clean and the oil cap is mayonnaise free.  Temp gauge sits between 70 and 90 when driving - when stuck in the queue for FOTU it got up to just above 100 then the fan kicked in and it dropped back down again.

So I think it's still mended, for now at least.  I'm going to stick it up for sale shortly once I've sorted the exhaust blow, probably just on here though as I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like trying to flog a £200 car to the general public.

Having driven to Scotland and back this week, I didn’t fancy the 7 hours round trip to FOTU in a day, plus I wanted to see my elderly grandparents before they jet off to their holiday home in France next week… so an plan was hatched which meant not going to FOTU but going to an alternative event just 20 Mins from family (to stop the night and see people) 

11347C47-8207-4083-88C8-9E4AE94F457C.jpeg

The car park to register gives it away… Saab’s galore! It was SaabFest at Prescott Hillclimb!

Weather was… mixed… 

5478DA57-C3BE-4594-AA08-934DFB2528C9.jpeg

But a lovely variety of Saabs on display. I’ll put more pics in my own thread save cluttering this one. But have one featuring my own 9000… 

41D4062D-60B3-441D-9E93-2F35F05C0557.jpeg

Saab OC had also organised the Bugatti trust to be open for the day, so had an interesting look around there too whilst it was raining! 
B63C27B9-118A-4786-8DF0-C55CD70816DB.jpeg

Great day out, very relaxed and chilled atmosphere! Nice to see Saabnut too and the 900 he’s been polishing! 

I drove up onto Dartmoor and realised as I admired  the Volvo whilst eating an ice cream that it’s growing on me and hence I’ve ordered a replacement heater matrix, plus o rings, which apparently are also needed/ worthwhile. I’m expecting some skinned knuckles and the odd swear word whilst I’m upside down in the Passenger footwell later this week.

1ECC1CA4-96E6-4242-872E-AAA4BB7B7B51.thumb.jpeg.0b233924182cf6371432a9727dfafcef.jpeg

34 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Yes, I've given my car a name. It seems that does not work for you which is cool. Your opinion on that has nothing to do with me. Or Alison. 😎

Could we have a clue as to the car?

I've seen pics of Alison in the past but my brain has forgotten them. 

Some kind of Audi perhaps? Possibly an early A4 or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Anyway I like that your car is (Possibly) named after the turbo prop engine that the C130 uses. 

19 hours ago, stuboy said:

Future fil wanted his melos brought to his house from its storage,  but he can't drive it due to him needing a new hip ( how he's driving it to steam festival/weald of Kent), he asked me to drive it to his house.

20210731_104204.jpg

That Trojan is Ace!  And a pushrod Ford on bike-carbs. Brilliant.

2 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Yes, I've given my car a name. It seems that does not work for you which is cool. Your opinion on that has nothing to do with me. Or Alison. 😎

Nothing wrong with giving your car a name, my Focus is called Henry, my view is if anyone has an issue with my car having a name then that is their problem not mine. What kind of car is Alison?