The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Ghosty said:

So I've been off to Simply Japanese at Beaulieu this weekend as a bit of a holiday with some friends, and I went in the Aerodeck. About 780 miles on it, ran well on the way down to Southampton but then later that night when we were off to the beach, it started running on three cylinders, and it turns out the carbs were making a bit of a bid for freedom. Stuck them back on and tightened them up and they behaved themselves for the next day or so - the car show was rubbish, though I did . Went across to Littlehampton that night, then the next morning started to head north at a leisurely pace, A roads etc. Stopped off for a bit in London in the evening, then headed north. Got as far as Banbury and stopped at a petrol station - turning into the forecourt there was a bit of a dip, and that knocked the carbs off. The night guy at the petrol station and a passing copper were both quite helpful and made sure I was OK. Got them all screwed back on, headed off, and the car cuts out again - after a previous electrical FTP, the fuel pump wiring had been get-you-home bodged into the switched live for the electric windows by soldering a wire to the fuse (!) as I thought I'd have sold it by now, and the bodge expired. Swapping it to the other electric window didn't work either, but the fuse hadn't popped, and touching it to the battery positive ran the fuel pump. 

So, I ran to a nearby Tesco (the benefits of FTPing in a town), got some parcel tape, and taped the fuel pump's bodged positive feed to the battery positive, and started the car so it doesn't flood. Ran fine. Can't turn the engine off unless I un-tape it, so it's a one shot run home. I have two mates to drop in Warwick and Leeds on the way home too. 

Oh, and the car FTPd with an open window. Which is now stuck open. At night. I also later found out that the windscreen wipers have also died. 

Hoodie on, heater on, it bloody worked. Got home and stuck a bin bag over the open window with the parcel tape, and went to bed. 

That was fun*. 

Japanese reliability. 

41 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

...That's been monkeyed with to the nth degree by people that kind of but don't really know what they're doing.

This. There's a short somewhere and the wash/wipe is blowing fuses. 

On 7/26/2021 at 6:58 PM, Jerzy Woking said:

image.png.615f45c6f9756f3188494223adb22417.png

Can't believe a Kawasaki GPz 305 deserves to be called a classic. Old yes, rare yes, but neither make something a classic.

They were awful things, with horrendously fragile engines. Can you guess what lead me to this conclusion?

I had a Z250 Scorpion bought new from Myers Motors in South London for courier work. That had a horrendously fragile engine too. My path to this conclusion was probably the same as yours. A real pile of wank. 

17 hours ago, Spurious said:

The leaf blower blows crap over all the cars also. Which is mildly irritating. 

similar dude blows the crap from the trees  and grass all over my car at work... only when its damp on the car ..grrr

1 hour ago, brandersnatch said:

I had a Z250 Scorpion bought new from Myers Motors in South London for courier work. That had a horrendously fragile engine too. My path to this conclusion was probably the same as yours. A real pile of wank. 

I will say that the Kork Ballington Z250 was a nice looking thing. 20210727_212931.jpg.e47be55355ea24cb602b8d1b827abc2c.jpg

Filters and oil change of the Golf of many dents just done as I have a day off.  Picked up the VW OEM oil from eBay for £25 and the other bits from EuroCarFarts.  For once they weren't used when I checked the box.  Obviously managed to get more oil out than usual with my suction pump as it wanted exactly 4.5 litres back in, which is the stated capacity.  Pleased with that.  Forgot to prime the fuel filter as usual so it took a while starting up the second time afterwards (but fortunately can self-prime on the PD engine, unlike the VE, just don't try it with a low battery...). 

Took it out for a drive.  Feels a bit perkier.  It was well over the stated 10,000 mile interval.  Whoops.

MOT booked for Friday as I thought it was later in August - turns out it's the 4th and we're due to be elsewhere for a couple of days and want to take the car with air conditioning.  So my tame garage managed to squeeze me in.  Dropping it off with them Thursday lunchtime so it can get the earliest slot in case any work needs doing.  They're great like that.

The Toyota is now MOT'd.  That's the last one apart from the Innocenti - at least until the merry-go-round starts again in late October.

I'm having an interesting issue with the choonz in the Swift.  The original radio stopped working - it'd turn on but no sound would come out.  I replaced it with an old Sony CD player I had lying around - that works fine but there are some dodgy contacts in the plug so it occasionally switches itself off when I hit a bump in the road, which is annoying.

So I bought a cheapo mechless stereo from eBay.  Plugged that in and exactly the same issue as the original Clarion - switches on but no sound.  I initially thought I must have got a duff unit, but I tried it in the Škoda and it works fine.  Tried the radio/cassette from the Škoda in the Swift and same thing again - turns on but no sound.

So I'm at something of a loss as to why the Sony manages to get its output to the speakers when seemingly no other stereo will...

Whilst sitting on the terrace of our holiday cottage having lunch, this afternoon. This pulled in. 20210728_152715.thumb.jpg.d4aacb856cc41f581ac84af63d43b3eb.jpg

So I popped downstairs for a chat.

A 1960 Bentley.20210728_154307.thumb.jpg.33a05987e0f969a6ee6e466cba7eea5a.jpgreceived_414621206540287.thumb.jpeg.19191db53b7bac6d16f4c2dd947da7a8.jpeg20210728_154340.thumb.jpg.589ece7b86e9126a63bef22c45c45d72.jpg

Bought new by an electrical company in London, then sold on within the company. Later sold and moved to America then onto Sweden. Where it was bought by VW when they acquired the Bentley brand and recommissioned.

It then returned to the UK. The new owner was saying he had just retired, the money he had in the bank wasn't making anything so he invested in the Bentley.

9 minutes ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Do you still have VOL-FCR? I have it on a Google drive if needed. 

Yeah I have it on dad's laptop, every time I try to figure out the lambda light it goes off before I have a chance to plug it in. The SRS light is relatively recent and the coolant light doesn't seem to have an associated code. I'll probably plug it in and have a look over the next few days. It's not like I really drive the thing much anyway, I think it took me 2 months to get to the trip mileage!

IMG_20210726_114218829.thumb.jpg.b72bf88d21084dafa9da3ac843a4568f.jpg

That big fuck off hole is what was left when cutting back the inner wing...

Fortunately we have someone willing to weld so it now looks like this

IMG_20210728_105702538.thumb.jpg.82ba067b991ac584faa30aacf3978743.jpg

Who said Belgian built Allegros were more rusty? He now moves on to the back of the offside sill, the boot floor, the entire nearside wing.

Then the engine and suspension both need work but just look at that face...

IMG_20210723_140537281_HDR.thumb.jpg.0af212fe632bea696eab7f1b0305f59a.jpg

I've had a slightly lowball offer accepted on a car on eBay, so it looks like Sunday will be collection mission day.  Annoyingly I'll be passing within yards of the seller's house on the way back from FOTU on Saturday, but as I am yet to master the art of driving two cars at once I'll have to return the following day.  It's localish by my standards, and the journey is all doable by bus which keeps the cost down.

The Mondeo is in a local garage for a service and investigation: it's smoky and boost feels not-normal. Plus it seems to be blowing oil out somewhere so I'm guessing maybe a boost leak, maybe the standard leaky injector or (hopefully not) a turbo seal. 

Anyway I'm too busy at the moment even to even partake here fully so it's in a garage...

I know its lame but as Wifey's commuter it needs doing and it does earn its keep. 

On 7/28/2021 at 8:56 PM, Craig the Princess said:

IMG_20210726_114218829.thumb.jpg.b72bf88d21084dafa9da3ac843a4568f.jpg

That big fuck off hole is what was left when cutting back the inner wing...

Fortunately we have someone willing to weld so it now looks like this

IMG_20210728_105702538.thumb.jpg.82ba067b991ac584faa30aacf3978743.jpg

Who said Belgian built Allegros were more rusty? He now moves on to the back of the offside sill, the boot floor, the entire nearside wing.

Then the engine and suspension both need work but just look at that face...

IMG_20210723_140537281_HDR.thumb.jpg.0af212fe632bea696eab7f1b0305f59a.jpg

I used to live near Seneffe, the site of the erstwhile Austin/BL Factory in Belgium. My daily commute saw me passing the place. 🤓

https://www.aronline.co.uk/around-the-world/in-production-seneffe/

Edited by Leyland Worldmaster
Link added...

5 hours ago, Cord Forteener aka Tim_E said:

I know its lame but as Wifey's commuter it needs doing and it does earn its keep. 

Not at all.  Some spend their whole lives spannering and very little motoring because that's the bit they enjoy.  Some are halfway and some are like me and just enjoy pootling about in a headturning old snotter.  

Sometimes the alternative to sending it to the garage is taking it off the road for months, and that's rarely a good move.  Best to keep the wheels a turnin', especially when you need "buy in" from the other half.

And, as I've said before, there's absolutely no shame in paying someone's wages.  Hopefully they're glad of the work and do you a good job!