The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Went to Forge Garage in Penshurst, Kent.
PXL_20210716_154601890.thumb.jpg.366c2c7d4ffa975a21e245cf1d8d9958.jpg

Old pump, unsure how old the petrol was but it smelled fine 😅

PXL_20210716_154912258_MP.thumb.jpg.1c0da79f5d4e0257986a80e8f08f7d86.jpgPXL_20210716_154936140.thumb.jpg.cfcc488ec2792486ad1f2d452f7a2dcd.jpg

Really lovely part of the world.

Another BX14RE, but a Series 2 car...We totally need to get that and mine together for a photo shoot some day...once I've got mine both roadworthy and at least somewhat sorted the interior anyway!

1 hour ago, Zelandeth said:

Another BX14RE, but a Series 2 car...We totally need to get that and mine together for a photo shoot some day...once I've got mine both roadworthy and at least somewhat sorted the interior anyway!

Colour me super interested. I'd love for that to happen one day!

35 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Colour me super interested. I'd love for that to happen one day!

Could be quite a fascinating project actually to do a proper comparison between two almost identical cars spec wise from the different generations.  Especially in how differently they drive with the suitcase Vs TU engines.

Gratuitous photo because I love how this car looks.

IMG_20210228_163210-1.thumb.jpg.cd8772081402fd5ff0cf64a60d9d94e9.jpg

7 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Could be quite a fascinating project actually to do a proper comparison between two almost identical cars spec wise from the different generations.  Especially in how differently they drive with the suitcase Vs TU engines.

Gratuitous photo because I love how this car looks.

IMG_20210228_163210-1.thumb.jpg.cd8772081402fd5ff0cf64a60d9d94e9.jpg

Sounds like a plan to me. Massively looking forward to when yours is back on the road.

The clutch judder which I thought had been eliminated on the P6 has returned, although perhaps not as bad as it was before. I'm convinced it's something to do with heat soak as it only seems to happen when the car has got warm on a run, then been switched off and left for a while, then driven again. Either that, or motorways - a long, relaxed cruise on A roads seems fine - I did well over an hour on Wednesday without any problems, but the judder seems to come back in after a 70mph blast. 20 mins each way to the Amberly meet today and when I got home it started to judder again. 

Very odd. 

Anyway here's a photo from this afternoon alongside Fumbler's BX.

IMG_20210717_170710.thumb.jpg.0eb0ff3814931f4eeddca98b2686333b.jpg

2 hours ago, cort16 said:

I always thought cans of Juice exploding in hot cars was a bit of a myth. It seems not !

im sure the electrics under the cup holders appreciated being drowned in hot 7up

D8092F6C-D0F9-4C55-9B27-9D04CD07E495.thumb.jpeg.3b9413187f0a18b801962b11fb5e3d1b.jpeg

Back in the early eighties whilst on holiday with the parents in the south of France, there was a huge bang from the boot of the brand new ( two days old) GSA. A glass bottle of sparkling water had exploded.  

20 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

CX ignition key snapped. No warning that the key would fail like that; it just did.

Dismantled ignition barrel with help from AA and got started. Now need replacement ignition barrel and keys.....

I had a key snap in the door lock on my series 1 Pallas. Luckily was at work so had some fine tweezers and forceps to hand. Plus a spare set of keys of course!

stan plats can probably help with keys and barrels. I got my replacement from Citroen , but this was twenty-two  years ago.

26 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I had a key snap in the door lock on my series 1 Pallas. Luckily was at work so had some fine tweezers and forceps to hand. Plus a spare set of keys of course!

stan plats can probably help with keys and barrels. I got my replacement from Citroen , but this was twenty-two  years ago.

Not too worried about the door locks. It's the ignition barrel that needs replacing, plus the keys.

For some reason the flasher relay has also failed. Might be the heat.... All very weird.

11 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Not too worried about the door locks. It's the ignition barrel that needs replacing, plus the keys.

For some reason the flasher relay has also failed. Might be the heat.... All very weird.

Sorry, completely forgot that they are separate keys! Again. Try Stan plats - pm me if you don’t have his number.

Right, back off holiday on Kintyre.

Twas lovely apart from the clegs and midges, but you have to accept those wee critters.

Sea mamals, dive-bombing birds, crystal clear water, green mountains, no light or sound pollution, no signal, nae bother.

And a whole lot of shite on the roads, my Passat looked positively de-rigour.

20210716_193011.jpg

20210716_193000.jpg

20210716_192938.jpg

7 hour journey home, it actually took us about 12 hours with stops. 

Right, bedways is bestways.

3 hours ago, richardmorris said:

Sorry, completely forgot that they are separate keys! Again. Try Stan plats - pm me if you don’t have his number.

I have sent Stan an e-mail. 

First time I have ever had a key snap like that. A bit of a comedy moment when I was left holding the key stub.

1 hour ago, Cord Forteener aka Tim_E said:

Twas lovely apart from the clegs and midges, but you have to accept those wee critters.

Sea mamals, dive-bombing birds, crystal clear water, green mountains, no light or sound pollution, no signal, nae bother.

20210716_193011.jpg

20210716_193000.jpg

20210716_192938.jpg

Looks really nice, any sign of Paul McCartney?

8 hours ago, Crackers said:

The clutch judder which I thought had been eliminated on the P6 has returned, although perhaps not as bad as it was before. I'm convinced it's something to do with heat soak as it only seems to happen when the car has got warm on a run, then been switched off and left for a while, then driven again. Either that, or motorways - a long, relaxed cruise on A roads seems fine - I did well over an hour on Wednesday without any problems, but the judder seems to come back in after a 70mph blast. 20 mins each way to the Amberly meet today and when I got home it started to judder again. 

Very odd. 

Try bleeding the clutch?

4 hours ago, Cord Forteener aka Tim_E said:

20210716_193011.jpg

20210716_193000.jpg

20210716_192938.jpg

Oooh, I know where that is; very nice.

9 hours ago, cort16 said:

I always thought cans of Juice exploding in hot cars was a bit of a myth. It seems not !

im sure the electrics under the cup holders appreciated being drowned in hot 7up

D8092F6C-D0F9-4C55-9B27-9D04CD07E495.thumb.jpeg.3b9413187f0a18b801962b11fb5e3d1b.jpeg

Mate of mine had that happen with an aerosol can.  Of contact adhesive.  In the driver's door pocket of their Skoda Estelle.  It exited the car via the sunroof.

The interior looked like a scene from an alien horror movie...sadly the incident wrote the car off.  Especially as we only discovered it had happened several days after the event as the car wasn't in regular use so everything had set rock hard by the time we found it.

Reminds me of when I was working on a country cottage renovation.  Joiner tidied out his van and threw cardboard packaging and wood scraps on a little bonfire next to his van.  Shortly afterwards there was a loud bang and stuff spraying and splattering everywhere and all over the van.  It was a full plastic canister tube of expanding foam which had fallen in amongst the cardboard and the stuff was sizzling boiling hot.  Guy had it all over his clothes and had to have a haircut to cut out the sticky bits, could have been blinded.  Absolutely no chance of the mess cleaning off the van which was still quite new.

13 hours ago, Crackers said:

Very odd. 

Boiling off the (brake) clutch fluid in the heat?