The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

1. Camry estate booked in for MoT tomorrow morning.

2. Sunny cleaned-up ready for new owner to come and collect today.

1988 Nissan Sunny - Farewell

1988 Nissan Sunny - Farewell

Turns out I've had it for over five years and done more than 10k in it (it's still less than 50,000 now).

After a bit of a wobble last week when the first set of buyers pulled-out, the house is now sold pending all the usual legal and survey stuff, so.......

3. Got to make a start on sorting and moving/selling/chucking all the shed contents:

IMG_6863.thumb.JPG.c5740d5c54ee48ca9677be10750b7c48.JPG

IMG_6866.thumb.JPG.2bcf1020c1a0df2aebb740cbd51176d4.JPG

Going to be a busy summer.......

Now that's a shed.  Anything else is a poor imitation.

9 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Got a refund in the post today from DVLA for the unused tax on the C2.  £6.66!  It'll cost me nearly that much in fuel to drive into Norwich and pay the cheque into the bank...

If you have a banking app you can scan and deposit the cheque via your phone.

I tried to weld the Audis exhaust today but no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get a reasonable bead. I got either side of the crack cleaned up OK but I couldn't get the bastard car  high enough to get right under with my welding helmet on, plus I don't have a decent lamp.

After getting something resembling weld on it, I slathered it with gun gum.

Left it for a few hours and.... its STILL roaring away. Fucked it back in the garage, I'll think about it again another day.

4 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Got a refund in the post today from DVLA for the unused tax on the C2.  £6.66!  It'll cost me nearly that much in fuel to drive into Norwich and pay the cheque into the bank...

You can pay cheques in by taking a pic of it with some banks ! I didn't know this until young un showed me recently

On 7/6/2021 at 11:51 AM, Mrcento said:

Sick to death of their near unrivalled ability to throw up total unobtanium issues. Doesn't seem to matter how common they are, or what they need, there's always at least 1 bit you can't get, need to spend hours cross referencing part numbers, only to find it's mega specific, dealer only and north of £300 for something that should cost about £20.

Case in point.

This part, for a Range Rover? £40.

For a Bentley? £140

For a Lamborghini Urus? £150

For a Honda Civic?

h1.PNG.44877bd8a670075520a21b6dafd1b33c.PNG

That's without VAT, btw.

It's turning into a right fucking charade. Not a Daihatsu either.

Word of advice to anyone buying a spaceship Civic.... get one without factory fit Xenons. The sensor or the bracketery has any issues, you're fucked.

Been around 11 Scrapyards over the past few days, found 5 Civics with Xenons, the rear sensors are all fucked in the same sorts of ways. Siezed arms snapped brackets. Even buying 2 or 3 of the better broken ones, i'd not have been able to cobble together 1 good one. Suggests that it's a mega common issue so chances of failure are near certain. Best avoided.

This is how it came off the car. Like it was plucked off the Titanic.

rust.thumb.jpg.d920a613edb1df84d3197ef5270b0b74.jpg

Top bracket is fine. Sensor seems ok. seems to just be all the lower bracketery and linkages rusting, seizing, disintegrating and snapping. Have freed the top arm up and it now moves nicely, cut off the upper ball joint.

The solution from the other parts are to make a new link arm via threaded bar and screw on ball joints (which is what someone else did years ago because Honda will not sell that part, it's whole assembly or nothing) and lower bracket replaced with and adjustable L bracket adapted and fitted at an angle onto the axel. Might need to make use of other holes on it to secure at that angle because the original, snapped one has a little tooth on the edge that locks it at a set angle to stop it rotating. I might get away with bolting it down TIGHTASFUCK but can probably do something better so there's no issue with the MOT man saying it's insecure.

Not that i think he will, he basically said he'd be fine with it as long as it was vaguely connected.

All in going well, it'll be a £10 repair rather than a near £400 one.

So that's the end of the Mini adventure.

The Patrolman asked me to keep it at 2 k revs with the cap off and great big blobby bubbles were coming out and the coolant was rising and spewing  out. 

Weirdly no mixing with the oil or exhaust smoke but the coolant did look petrolly. 

I could see right away it was HGF and he also said this was likely.

It didn't overheat as there was still some coolant left when I opened the bonnet and the 'it's fucked' light didn't come on. 5 minutes later with the engine off the level had risen again. 

It's never used any water since we had it so it must have been the wait in the queue at the drive through that finished it off.

We were straight barred home and we nearly died on the way home.  On the Wilderness Brae a wee young hoor in a huge black Range Rover, who had also been at McDonalds, tried to pass us at huge speed as we moved into the outside lane to turn right. She braked so hard her hazards came on and almost hit me on the offside. Fucking shat myself as I couldn't steer away. As my wife gave her opinion on her driving out the window she just laughed. When we got home the Patrolman said as it was a Range Rover he'd be out to her soon enough.

Glad it happened where it did and that I was there.

I'm gutted though as I was about to put it up for sale but I'm hugely more glad that I didn't sell it yesterday to some poor person.

26 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Seems mini-stuboy has now declared the standard 8  his car, not sure how his grandad feels about it as was planned to be sold eventually

20210709_182028.jpg

20210709_182438.jpg

20210709_181955.jpg

20210619_212607.jpg

Grandad wanted to sell mini Stuboy? Mebbe fair, if you can keep the car.

35 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Seems mini-stuboy has now declared the standard 8  his car, not sure how his grandad feels about it as was planned to be sold eventually

20210709_182028.jpg

20210709_182438.jpg

20210709_181955.jpg

20210619_212607.jpg

Those Standard 8s were real misery spec. It does look quite solid there though and I'm sure a session with some tcut and polish would have it looking quite smart.

24 minutes ago, anonymous user said:

Those Standard 8s were real misery spec. It does look quite solid there though and I'm sure a session with some tcut and polish would have it looking quite smart.

IIRC the earliest ones didn’t even have a boot lid as such. MINGEBAG. 

News just in, Camry estate failed MoT but nothing too significant:

Repair immediately (major defects):

• Anti-lock braking system warning lamp indicates an ABS fault (1.6 (b))
  • Nearside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (4.1.1 (a) (ii))
  • Offside Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (3.4 (b) (ii))
  • Offside Front Service brake excessively binding (1.2.1 (f))

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Windscreen damaged but not adversely affecting driver's view (3.2 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))
  • Nearside Windscreen wiper blade defective (3.4 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Offside Rear wheel arch corroded
  • Nearside Rear Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement front bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Lower Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement front bush (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Nearside Rear Inner Anti-roll bar pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Inner Anti-roll bar pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Rear Lower panel corroded
  • Nearside Rear Inner Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))
  • Offside Rear Inner Suspension component mounting prescribed area is corroded but not considered excessive sill (5.3.6 (a) (i))

I knew it was going to fail because of the ABS light. Nothing there otherwise that's too concerning, and to sort it will still be cheaper than hiring a van for all the moving stuff I need to in the next 2-3 months so it looks like it lives for another year :-)

Relieved that the gasket and head appear to be ok but still no idea where I'm losing coolant to. Losing approx. 1/4 to 1/2 litre per hour when running so I guess the next stage is a pressure test - I don't have the gear for that so I'll have to farm it out.

1378393830_IMG_20210711_1154511.thumb.jpg.b92e27ba5e197b953fbe049a9ac8d60b.jpg

In the picture you'll notice the fluid is rising towards the left-hand chamber indicating positive pressure however although I held the revs steady at times the fluid rose towards the right-hand chamber - is that significant or does it just indicate air being drawn into the system from the same place fluid is leaking out?