The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 minutes ago, cort16 said:

Nice, I didn't even know they had accommodation there. Culzean is nice for a visit, Dunure is worth a visit too if you're ever down that way again.

I think they were recently built 

Thanks, is there any more nice beaches over this side? 

47 minutes ago, Jamie said:

@cort16unfortunatley ferry is fully booked all week for aaran 😒 apparently there is another island a bit further up that is only 15 mins on the ferry?

We went to Culzean instead 

Heres another passat pic from where we are staying (the salt Lodge in Troon) 😎

20210707_164438.jpg

I'm going to Arran in a couple of weeks for 4 days with my family. The ferries are running at half capacity or thereabouts and they're limiting folk on the island. I booked the car months ago but some of my family who aren't taking cars had real trouble getting booked on. Unfortunately  you can't just turn up like you used to be able to. 

This will be my 21st year going there.

Just now, Split_Pin said:

I'm going to Arran in a couple of weeks for 4 days with my family. The ferries are running at half capacity or thereabouts and they're limiting folk on the island. I booked the car months ago but some of my family who aren't taking cars had real trouble getting booked on. Unfortunately  you can't just turn up like you used to be able to. 

Yeah we just expected to turn up. Didn't realise it was school hols 

30 minutes ago, Jamie said:

A lot of the real gems are down near Culzean. Dunure and Croy have nice beaches. Dunure was the setting for that Outlander TV program.

There's a big beach park at Irvine but I always think it's a little bit of a dump. . Largs is worth a visit although their beach is very pebbley .

You can get a ferry to Millport (Isle of Cumbrae) from Largs but it's usually quite busy.

Kelburn country park on they way to Largs is also quiet good. 

22 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I started a job in Irvine in 1999 and every year since we've went to Arran in June to play golf (get pissed). The last 2 years are the only two years we've missed and I'm jonesing for a return visit.

1 hour ago, Jamie said:

If you've got the time head down south of Stranraer. Portpatrick and the Mull of Galloway are worth a visit. Luce Sands is a decent beach down that way from memory

10 hours ago, cort1977 said:

This. And coolant and brake fluid.

I drain the filters thoroughly and then bin them, what else can you do?

Brake fluid goes in cat litter then the bin.

Coolant currently sits in my garage while I work out what to do with it.

10 hours ago, cort16 said:

I've got bottles of old coolant I've had in my garage for years not sure what I'm meant to do with it either.  My dump recently told me they'd stopped taking paint and I was to fill the tubs with sand and once it had gone hard I could put it in the bin. And they wonder why people are fly tipping.

We must be lucky where I live, the council will take most waste. I have always taken used car fluids and filters there without any problems.

BatteriesBooksCar batteriesCardboardCarpettetra packs iconCooking oilElectrical waste iconFluorescent waste iconFoil waste iconfridges iconfurniture iconGarden waste iconGas bottles iconsHard plastics iconHardcore rubble iconChemicalsMattresses iconMetals iconMixed paper iconmobile phone iconnon-recyclable wastehousehold paint iconplasterboard iconprint cartridges iconspectacles icontapes and discs iconTextiles iconTV monitors icontyres iconused car oil iconwood icon

1 minute ago, bobdisk said:

We must be lucky where I live, the council will take most waste. 

BatteriesBooksCar batteriesCardboardCarpettetra packs iconCooking oilElectrical waste iconFluorescent waste iconFoil waste iconfridges iconfurniture iconGarden waste iconGas bottles iconsHard plastics iconHardcore rubble iconChemicalsMattresses iconMetals iconMixed paper iconmobile phone iconnon-recyclable wastehousehold paint iconplasterboard iconprint cartridges iconspectacles icontapes and discs iconTextiles iconTV monitors icontyres iconused car oil iconwood icon

You are lucky! That's the fullest list of services I've seen in a long, long while.

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

A lot of the real gems are down near Culzean. Dunure and Croy have nice beaches. Dunure was the setting for that Outlander TV program.

There's a big beach park at Irvine but I always think it's a little bit of a dump. . Largs is worth a visit although their beach is very pebbley .

You can get a ferry to Millport (Isle of Cumbrae) from Largs but it's usually quite busy.

Thanks for the advice mate!

Funny enough some guy in the pub just told us to get the ferry to Millport! So think we will go tomorrow hopefully it will be bearable (busy wise) 

34 minutes ago, dome said:

If you've got the time head down south of Stranraer. Portpatrick and the Mull of Galloway are worth a visit. Luce Sands is a decent beach down that way from memory

Cheers chap! Certainly got plenty to do up here and the weather is looking out for us 😊

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Cheers chap! Certainly got plenty to do up here and the weather is looking out for us 😊

I’m down hunting shrimps at the rock pools just pool it’s a cracking night.

Look out for me in a black 7 series !

23 hours ago, holbeck said:

20210706_141158_resized.thumb.jpg.3389aa5ab100c2b216b6cb69457d24b7.jpg

Remember this? 

My roffle win Saab 900. Courtesy of @Minimad5

It's not perfect, but I bloomin' love it. 

In the last month I've done about a thousand miles with no real issues.   

I've reinstated the rear wiper as the motor and wiper itself were MIA.

@simon8201 has helped me out sourcing a leather steering wheel from a 9-3 to replace the rather worn original. Fingers crossed that'll be swapped tomorrow!

My Number one Daughter went to a tutor behind your boot, John Fowles wrote some of The French Lieutenant's Woman in the garden.

On 7/6/2021 at 7:10 PM, Fumbler said:

In fairness waste does go through a sorting conveyor and other systems IIRC. Most likely that the stuff gets separated and burned.

Throwing away oil in this manner may be considered irresponsible because there are safe disposal methods. However, why doesn't anybody invent a safe disposal method (for the average car DIYer) for used oil filters? Nowhere here takes them and doesn't intend on doing so any time soon. Even if we are disposing of vehicular fluids correctly, we are still contaminating the waste stream with oil and fuel filters.

Filters are a problem, what I do is sit them upside down in a bucket or tub for a week or so, draining off any liquid every other day, then just wrap them in newspaper and put in general waste; if the council accepted them then I'd save them up and include in a tip run, but they don't.

13 hours ago, cort1977 said:

This. And coolant and brake fluid.

I drain the filters thoroughly and then bin them, what else can you do?

Brake fluid goes in cat litter then the bin.

Coolant currently sits in my garage while I work out what to do with it.

Oil filters I leave on the grate, where you pour the used engine oil. 

There's a bin next to it for oil containers. It's got oil filters in it too. 

Brake fluid is Oil. It goes in the used oil, 

Coolant, well I had head gasket failure and it's mixed with the oil thst I'm despising of. Honest. 

18 hours ago, richardmorris said:

50th annniversary raf helicopter tour today, anyone else see?

3CD61932-242F-4773-968C-8DB640118524.png

The 10 Pumas flew almost directly over here in quite a compact formation. They made a fabulous sound, like a swarm of bees inside your hat, but a couple of octaves lower. I have a soft spot for the Puma as for about a year I worked just a few metres from where some were flying from and got to know their smells and sounds, even got to sit and pretend in the driver’s seat once.

20 hours ago, cort16 said:

Went to Isle of Cumbrae today, not too busy sadly quite overcast but stunning place nonetheless 

20210708_135404.jpg

Great views from the ferry like... 

1625749995635301196581851249855.jpg

18 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Went to Isle of Cumbrae today, not too busy sadly quite overcast but stunning place nonetheless 

20210708_135404.jpg

Did you see the rock painted like a crocodile in Millport?

57 minutes ago, Jamie said:

20210708_135404.jpg

You don't have to stay in your motor, there's a sitootery with a better view upstairs.

2 hours ago, Asimo said:

My used Oil filters go in the stove, when it is nice and hot, and the next day when they are just clean steel they go in the scrap bin.

Stove ? With a chimney to the outside world ? Not worried about tar and soot build up ? 

14 minutes ago, New POD said:

Stove ? With a chimney to the outside world ? Not worried about tar and soot build up ? 

The way oil filters are recycled does the exact same thing in essence. They have to decontaminate the steel before it goes off for recycling so they bale the filters and extract the oil there, then they incinerate them in a kiln and burn the gasses that come off at high temperature. That way, all the paper, rubber seals, paint and leftover oil is completely gone and only the steel and minimal ash remain. here's a video:

@Asimo's method isn't as bad as you think, especially if you burn it hot as everything combustible will have enough heat to burn completely and emit as little noxious fumes as possible. This also means there shouldn't be too much more soot build-up either.

If you're feeling adventurous you could put used oil filters with other waste plastic into a gasifier and make fuel out of what's inside, leaving just the carbon and steel behind.

When thrown in the bin, it's going to end up either in a hole in the ground or the incinerator. At least with the latter method the steel is then separated and baled afterwards. Either way, these will harm the environment in some form, it's just deciding which way is the least harmful.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I've never ever considered the oil filter side of things.  What with it being metal I've either recycled it with all my usual metal, or thrown it in the trash and let the garbage man take it away.  Food for thought here.