The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

20210706_141158_resized.thumb.jpg.3389aa5ab100c2b216b6cb69457d24b7.jpg

Remember this? 

My roffle win Saab 900. Courtesy of @Minimad5

It's not perfect, but I bloomin' love it. 

In the last month I've done about a thousand miles with no real issues.   

I've reinstated the rear wiper as the motor and wiper itself were MIA.

@simon8201 has helped me out sourcing a leather steering wheel from a 9-3 to replace the rather worn original. Fingers crossed that'll be swapped tomorrow!

1 hour ago, holbeck said:

20210706_141158_resized.thumb.jpg.3389aa5ab100c2b216b6cb69457d24b7.jpg

Remember this? 

My roffle win Saab 900. Courtesy of @Minimad5

It's not perfect, but I bloomin' love it. 

In the last month I've done about a thousand miles with no real issues.   

I've reinstated the rear wiper as the motor and wiper itself were MIA.

@simon8201 has helped me out sourcing a leather steering wheel from a 9-3 to replace the rather worn original. Fingers crossed that'll be swapped tomorrow!

🤦‍♂️ You know I hadn't noticed the wiper till someone (was it you ?) Pointed it out when we met at the station 😅

Glad she's giving you sterling service!

If you ever feel the need to remove the Tossa-Del-Mar sticker from the rear window, do post it this way, as we nick named it 'The Tossa mobile' and eer I'd enjoy sticking it on someones window 😅

11 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

🤦‍♂️ You know I hadn't noticed the wiper till someone (was it you ?) Pointed it out when we met at the station 😅

Glad she's giving you sterling service!

If you ever feel the need to remove the Tossa-Del-Mar sticker from the rear window, do post it this way, as we nick named it 'The Tossa mobile' and eer I'd enjoy sticking it on someones window 😅

I think it was @simon8201  who noticed! I was too busy snatching the keys!

Tossa-Del-Mar sticker is intact,  if I ever feel the need to peel it off,  you have first refusal. 

2 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

My mate got this in the post today, with 70's/80's stamps. Strange

58619cb2-c482-4e9d-a1c3-2a24470529f0.jpg

Nice to know they're still valid. I wonder if someone's using some less desirable stamps from a collection?

28 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I know nowt about stamps and I also didn't know until a couple of weeks ago that Mutha_Pin still had a collection she built up in the 1950s. It was divided into country and the 1930s items from Germany were eye opening when viewed through a current lens. Very interesting indeed.

2 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Ah, interesting - a few years ago I received a parcel from an eBay seller which was also sent using about half a dozen old commemorative stamps (19½p etc).

They were quite nice, and I think I kept them - even though the very last thing I need is more shit to make into a collection...

13 hours ago, Fumbler said:

However, why doesn't anybody invent a safe disposal method (for the average car DIYer) for used oil filters? Nowhere here takes them and doesn't intend on doing so any time soon. Even if we are disposing of vehicular fluids correctly, we are still contaminating the waste stream with oil and fuel filters.

This. And coolant and brake fluid.

I drain the filters thoroughly and then bin them, what else can you do?

Brake fluid goes in cat litter then the bin.

Coolant currently sits in my garage while I work out what to do with it.

1 minute ago, cort1977 said:

This. And coolant and brake fluid.

I drain the filters thoroughly and then bin them, what else can you do?

Brake fluid goes in cat litter then the bin.

Coolant currently sits in my garage while I work out what to do with it.

I've got bottles of old coolant I've had in my garage for years not sure what I'm meant to do with it either.  My dump recently told me they'd stopped taking paint and I was to fill the tubs with sand and once it had gone hard I could put it in the bin. And they wonder why people are fly tipping.

2 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

I tip all my waste oil and fluids in the canal. Soon mixes in and the constant flow of water dilutes it right down. Victimless crime really.

Fun fact

The goo at the bottom of the canals that many think are turds dropped from passing watercraft,is in fact the contents of countless tins of paint dumped after drying out 

Even though the owner was "sure I'd put the lid on properly"

6 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Ahh cool! We went up to glasga yesterday n off to the Isle of aaran today 😀

20210706_114611.jpg

How much did that parking cost you ? 😀Arran is great, one of my favourite places . it’s got a brewery , whisky distillery, cheese makers and arran aromatics (for the ladies ) so a good place to spend some time. There’s a pub at the bottom of the hill into Lamlash that has amazing views of the holy isle .  I used to play golf in lamlash and would often just Chuck it in and sit down there and get pissed.
 I need to get back there soon myself.

16 minutes ago, cort16 said:

How much did that parking cost you ? 😀Arran is great, one of my favourite places . it’s got a brewery , whisky distillery, cheese makers and arran aromatics (for the ladies ) so a good place to spend some time. There’s a pub at the bottom of the hill into Lamlash that has amazing views of the holy isle .  I used to play golf in lamlash and would often just Chuck it in and sit down there and get pissed.
 I need to get back there soon myself.

£1 for 15 mins!! 

Ah that's great we are going to get the ferry over today. Just have to get the wife to drive home then.... Hic! 

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

I've got bottles of old coolant I've had in my garage for years not sure what I'm meant to do with it either.  My dump recently told me they'd stopped taking paint and I was to fill the tubs with sand and once it had gone hard I could put it in the bin. And they wonder why people are fly tipping.

My local council takes waste oil and the fellow there said just chuck it into the same vat mixed with God knows what. 

It wasn't just engine oil I chucked in the last time, there was Gearbox oil, ATF, CHF, Brake fluid in the same manky tub. Suppose a bit of coolant wont make a difference, especially when I reckon they just incinerate it all anyway. 

11 minutes ago, Spurious said:

My local council takes waste oil and the fellow there said just chuck it into the same vat mixed with God knows what. 

It wasn't just engine oil I chucked in the last time, there was Gearbox oil, ATF, CHF, Brake fluid in the same manky tub. Suppose a bit of coolant wont make a difference, especially when I reckon they just incinerate it all anyway. 

I realise this is from the US. It is still informative though. 

I'm assuming the comments about throwing dangerous and polluting chemicals are jokes. 

I am bridging my 206cc on the 21st, phoned local scrappers, some were laughable derisory offers, best price was furthest one,but probably biggest, Tottenham to Horsham.. Redcorn Ltd. They reckon they are collecting 400 motors a DAY!! If anyone wants to offer over £265 and collect it before the 21st of July it can be yours. 

No mot, my local mechanic has failed to finish what he started, possibly not needing much, oil leak from top of engine, rear exhaust box, had new track rod ends and ball joints, I think mech said it needed one other link/joint/mount... Roof fulling working, drives ok , aircon was cold when last used two years ago, leather interior, dry but not badly cracked, tyres were good when last looked at..... 

13 hours ago, bunglebus said:

I received this one a couple years ago covered in stamps from the mid-late 1980s.

C710288D-7F02-417F-BE0A-9C62E41DB2AE.thumb.jpeg.b59439728031ff436758226e95889b3e.jpeg

Top right are a pair celebrating Australia Day 1987 and the row below are from the 1988 Bicentenary.

14 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Normally in a set of 4 the values pre 1990 were 2nd, 1st, Europe letter rate and small parcel.

The Europe letter value tends to be the hardest for collectors to find. I was aware all decimal currency postage stamp issues are still valid (along with certain pre-decimalisation issues with whole pounds) but the pennies must be rounded up to the next pence where ha’pennies are used with another x-and-a-half pence value. They’re nicely cancelled as well which is a bonus to a collector.

Decided to tackle the overgrown mass of brbles behind my garden shed today.

08d17ffea9d138e47b92dd56f01e6dac.jpg

Noticed there was a disused coal scuttle(?) In the corner of the garden that was full of empty oil cans, an exhaust manifold, and some kind of sump?

72a3d4b37842330032a85da0c3937ff3.jpg

Ah well, got all the brambles out at least.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Jamie said:

@cort16unfortunatley ferry is fully booked all week for aaran 😒 apparently there is another island a bit further up that is only 15 mins on the ferry?

We went to Culzean instead 

Heres another passat pic from where we are staying (the salt Lodge in Troon) 😎

20210707_164438.jpg

Nice, I didn't even know they had accommodation there. Culzean is nice for a visit, Dunure is worth a visit too if you're ever down that way again.