The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I agree.

Not too bad then, just a pain that I'll have to wait for the new clockspring to come from ebay before I can get it retested.

I'll probably do the Caliper and the side light meantime.

No, I don't mind these kind of advisories as long as they don't go absolutely mad with them and I can understand why they do them. Gives me kind of a list to work to during the year.  The following year, I got rid of all of them apart from the minor leak about the sump. 

35 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I agree.

Not too bad then, just a pain that I'll have to wait for the new clockspring to come from ebay before I can get it retested.

I'll probably do the Caliper and the side light meantime.

Can you sort the bulb and drive there and reset the code then point to both issues being sorted?

Civic was in for the MOT today. Failed. Nothing major, Headlamp beam pattern and a duff self levelling sensor.

but i'm just going to say that's me totally done with Japanese cars.

Been stung on every one i've had. Although admittedly, the Ignis, probably the rarest one was probably the least difficult.

Sick to death of their near unrivalled ability to throw up total unobtanium issues. Doesn't seem to matter how common they are, or what they need, there's always at least 1 bit you can't get, need to spend hours cross referencing part numbers, only to find it's mega specific, dealer only and north of £300 for something that should cost about £20.

They were receptive to that idea but unfortunately  the side light is dead, I think years of flickering has killed the bulb.

I'm going to sort the airbag properly, get it passed and then it will be up for sale. In a remarkable and unexpected  turn of events, Mrs_Pin is smitten with the 75 and now wants a larger automatic car.

I am quite relieved that the Mini adventure* might be coming to to close.

Looks like new, not bad for a 15 year old Ford Connect. Amazing compared with the vile mountains of stinky sludge inside V4 Transit engines…

2E0AA5A4-572B-4C0F-B3EC-810F85F0AD52.thumb.jpeg.e513f17117cae1404842b004a8acbbb8.jpeg

That’s more like it, oil leaks!

8631533A-6DFF-42C3-9E79-02794D5907F5.thumb.jpeg.4c51b7956b9b3638b668ddb3bce3b3a7.jpeg

The cam cover gasket is only a few years old. Completely compressed at the belt-end

EA2F95D8-E3F8-459F-A103-E0BF33AF630F.thumb.jpeg.8afa0bec75a0a8f73c70c09b94c08183.jpeg

hardly squashed at all at the flywheel end.

C4E97E08-DF72-4D6D-892C-B431D0C20C5F.thumb.jpeg.1e6b67db702aeecbb6e47bd7cd2055dd.jpeg

No clues as to where it is leaking, there is oil everywhere (except into the sparking plug well). A straight edge along the cover shows no distortion anywhere.

Reassamble with a little bead of silicone on the gasket. Cross fingers.

On 05/07/2021 at 13:26, beko1987 said:

I decant my used oil into other small bottles and hide one or 2 a week in the black bin when needed, especially with my local tip being very far away atm thanks to covid... 

Although the weeds in the communal car park are looking terrible, I might loose a few litres over it all in the autumn... 

@beko1987That is irresponsible,please dispose of it in a correct manner.

1 hour ago, Vantman said:

@beko1987That is irresponsible,please dispose of it in a correct manner.

Don't worry I've taken a telling off elsewhere for it! In my defence I only make 5l a year, and 4l of it is sat behind the shed still but I'll start bottling it and saving it up for correct disposal into the tank of who knows what at the tip

4 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Don't worry I've taken a telling off elsewhere for it! In my defence I only make 5l a year, and 4l of it is sat behind the shed still but I'll start bottling it and saving it up for correct disposal into the tank of who knows what at the tip

In fairness waste does go through a sorting conveyor and other systems IIRC. Most likely that the stuff gets separated and burned.

Throwing away oil in this manner may be considered irresponsible because there are safe disposal methods. However, why doesn't anybody invent a safe disposal method (for the average car DIYer) for used oil filters? Nowhere here takes them and doesn't intend on doing so any time soon. Even if we are disposing of vehicular fluids correctly, we are still contaminating the waste stream with oil and fuel filters.

Just now, Fumbler said:

In fairness waste does go through a sorting conveyor and other systems IIRC. Most likely that the stuff gets separated and burned.

Throwing away oil in this manner may be considered irresponsible because there are safe disposal methods. However, why doesn't anybody invent a safe disposal method (for the average car DIYer) for used oil filters? Nowhere here takes them and doesn't intend on doing so any time soon.

That's true, I've thrown alot of those in the black bin too! There is a (was a) wheelie bin for them by the slop tank but ive seen it emptied into the metal skip before

Just now, Fumbler said:

Throwing away oil in this manner may be considered irresponsible because there are safe disposal methods. However, why doesn't anybody invent a safe disposal method (for the average car DIYer) for used oil filters? Nowhere here takes them and doesn't intend on doing so any time soon.

I didn’t know that- thought you could leave them at the recycling centres with the oil.  

2 minutes ago, richardmorris said:

I didn’t know that- thought you could leave them at the recycling centres with the oil.  

If they do that would be a great help. I don't like throwing the things in commercial waste as they can cause all sorts of issues downstream. From past experience the local authority has declined taking oil filters, just the oil. I'm pretty sure filters end up in the incinerator with the metal being baled afterwards. Still a potential H&S nightmare, what with COSHH regs and all that.

Just now, Fumbler said:

If they do that would be a great help. I don't like throwing the things in commercial waste as they can cause all sorts of issues downstream.

I don’t know how you’d go about getting the centres to accept filters. Mine doesn’t even do green garden waste anymore. Surrey were intent on closing it but pressure has kept it open for now ( but closed all last year) but only for cardboard and electricals.

1 hour ago, richardmorris said:

I don’t know how you’d go about getting the centres to accept filters. Mine doesn’t even do green garden waste anymore. Surrey were intent on closing it but pressure has kept it open for now ( but closed all last year) but only for cardboard and electricals.

My local tip doesn't even accept waste oil, while the bigger one in the nearest town takes oil, but not filters. Helpful!

12 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

My local tip doesn't even accept waste oil, while the bigger one in the nearest town takes oil, but not filters. Helpful!

Weirdly, they don’t seem to have tied this up with the fly tipping increase.

20210706_141158_resized.thumb.jpg.3389aa5ab100c2b216b6cb69457d24b7.jpg

Remember this? 

My roffle win Saab 900. Courtesy of @Minimad5

It's not perfect, but I bloomin' love it. 

In the last month I've done about a thousand miles with no real issues.   

I've reinstated the rear wiper as the motor and wiper itself were MIA.

@simon8201 has helped me out sourcing a leather steering wheel from a 9-3 to replace the rather worn original. Fingers crossed that'll be swapped tomorrow!

1 hour ago, holbeck said:

20210706_141158_resized.thumb.jpg.3389aa5ab100c2b216b6cb69457d24b7.jpg

Remember this? 

My roffle win Saab 900. Courtesy of @Minimad5

It's not perfect, but I bloomin' love it. 

In the last month I've done about a thousand miles with no real issues.   

I've reinstated the rear wiper as the motor and wiper itself were MIA.

@simon8201 has helped me out sourcing a leather steering wheel from a 9-3 to replace the rather worn original. Fingers crossed that'll be swapped tomorrow!

🤦‍♂️ You know I hadn't noticed the wiper till someone (was it you ?) Pointed it out when we met at the station 😅

Glad she's giving you sterling service!

If you ever feel the need to remove the Tossa-Del-Mar sticker from the rear window, do post it this way, as we nick named it 'The Tossa mobile' and eer I'd enjoy sticking it on someones window 😅

11 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

🤦‍♂️ You know I hadn't noticed the wiper till someone (was it you ?) Pointed it out when we met at the station 😅

Glad she's giving you sterling service!

If you ever feel the need to remove the Tossa-Del-Mar sticker from the rear window, do post it this way, as we nick named it 'The Tossa mobile' and eer I'd enjoy sticking it on someones window 😅

I think it was @simon8201  who noticed! I was too busy snatching the keys!

Tossa-Del-Mar sticker is intact,  if I ever feel the need to peel it off,  you have first refusal. 

2 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

My mate got this in the post today, with 70's/80's stamps. Strange

58619cb2-c482-4e9d-a1c3-2a24470529f0.jpg

Nice to know they're still valid. I wonder if someone's using some less desirable stamps from a collection?

28 minutes ago, bunglebus said:

I know nowt about stamps and I also didn't know until a couple of weeks ago that Mutha_Pin still had a collection she built up in the 1950s. It was divided into country and the 1930s items from Germany were eye opening when viewed through a current lens. Very interesting indeed.

2 hours ago, bunglebus said:

Ah, interesting - a few years ago I received a parcel from an eBay seller which was also sent using about half a dozen old commemorative stamps (19½p etc).

They were quite nice, and I think I kept them - even though the very last thing I need is more shit to make into a collection...