The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

how do you make a small car look even smaller?

20210704_135513_resized_2.thumb.jpg.1d46056ab4d4de13b84d4272a5b2f66e.jpg20210704_135523_resized_2.thumb.jpg.f90736ed6670b744060be7fd289d6900.jpg

park it next to a bloody HUGE one!

20210704_135601_resized_2.thumb.jpg.30931107efe234b60ed3bfeaeea8a806.jpg20210704_135635_resized_2.thumb.jpg.ee750ccdd1049b4e0a202e4856f3444e.jpg20210704_135929_resized_2.thumb.jpg.63512f7a70146107da3eed5550819642.jpg20210704_135944_resized_2.thumb.jpg.4358a74635871f62a9c7935777a0c47c.jpg20210704_135951_resized_2.thumb.jpg.c8d8d67863d4499dce1cb255197e142c.jpg

this Lincoln Town Car is equipped with a 460 ci big block (7 and a half litres) with 13 mpg's.

20210704_135741_resized_1.thumb.jpg.b9b2e00491b1c4e32349aee5f0c5fa02.jpg

the mini is 61 ci, that been 998cc, and does  considerably more mpg's.

we also saw this chopped chevy pickup while out and about. its very nice too

20210704_140147_resized_2.thumb.jpg.08932b27ab258fb342b8f5fa6ac87928.jpg

Tired out after collection caper. Suzuki isn’t going to be roffled immediately as I need to do a couple of jobs to the C2 before we can consider pushing it into daily service. Cam belt roulette isn’t a good game to play and a new backbox is also in order.

And a service. Madam’s Mini could also do with a service.

As mentioned elsewhere, the C2 headed off today to its new home in sunny Chichester (funnily enough that's where I bought it from).  I spent most of the day buggering about with the Renault 6 - I got the new exhaust hangers on, but that was no thanks to my new dremel which turned out to be utterly fucking useless - or rather the dremel itself is fine but the "cutting" discs it came with seem to be made of dust held together with Pritt Stick and last about 5 seconds in use - I barely managed to make a dent in the nut. 

Fortunately a few days ago I made the long overdue decision to invest in a half decent pair of mole grips, having made do with cheap shite for years, and they managed to get enough of a purchase on the <1mm of rounded bolt head that was sticking out the top of the remains of the old hanger, to allow me to hold the bolt still and wind the nut off.  The other hanger which had been slowly rusting into the floorpan actually came away quite easily, to my surprise, and all the nuts turned out to be reusable, which was handy as the new hangers didn't come with any.  So the exhaust is now nice and secure again.

The next job was to fit a flap wheel to the angle grinder and have a go at the driver's floorpan inside the car, to see just how much metal will actually need replacing.  To my surprise, the bit that is actually rotten is a fairly narrow strip - maybe 4" wide - the central section of the original floorpan still being solid and the outer section having already been replaced with a bit of metal that still seems fairly intact.  I was able to get back to nice shiny metal fairly easily on quite a bit of the surrounding floor, which should make welding in a new bit rather more straightforward.  Unfortunately the interior of the car is now covered in rust thrown up by the grinder, so I'm going to have to clean that at some point - fortunately the seats are vinyl so should wipe clean.

I haven't got a great deal more done on the Innocenti beyond yesterday's update, but I did go around checking all the essential bulbs - the nearside front indicator had stopped working because the bulb was corroded tae feck, so that's been replaced with an LED bulb - the car has an electronic flasher unit so fitting LED bulbs doesn't make it go mental.  I also replaced the main beam telltale in the dash, which involved taking out the instrument cluster - that was relatively straightforward, but when I put it all back together I realised I'd managed to pull the speedo cable out the back.  The cable wasn't long enough to reach with the cluster out of the dash, so I had to refit it, then pull off the radio blanking plate and shove my hand in behind the dash to try and wangle the cable back into place.  I got it in (not without getting covered in grease) but I'm not sure it's gone in quite right - the speedo works but the needle flickers, which it never did before.  So I might have to have another crack at it at some point, but that's rather a long way down the priority list at the moment.

The Toyota's brakes continue to baffle me.  I had the drum off again and as far as I can see everything is moving as it should, so I have no idea why it's suddenly decided to start binding on.  I might end up having to admit defeat and hand it over to the garage to sort.  I fugging hate brakes.

9 hours ago, omegod said:

Not sure how to dispose of the 20-30 litres of contaminated fuel as the local tip won't take it, any ideas  ??????  

I have a few full containers of old engine oil. I also have a few containers which have nothing in.  Come and take them all and fill them 50/50 oil/petrol. Take them.to the tip, (Sefton meadows) and pour them in the waste oil container.  Technically it's all a byproduct of crude oil.

Or. Get some old paint tins. Put them.in.the paint recycling bin. Its all solvent. Right. 

Alternatively, get some milk bottles, and rags, and start a riot. 

Or take it down the sand dunes and when it's dark, draw a picture with it in the sand, and set fire to it, photo it as art. 

Other legal and more environmentally friendly ideas may be available. 

2 hours ago, bobdisk said:

Yes.  Did you know that Hoover was a brand of vacuum cleaner?

My parents never hoovered when I was a kid. They had an Electrolux, and vacuumed the carpets, the term I still use today. 'I'm just going to henry the bedroom' doesn't sit right, to me.

Another sunrise and as always more to add to the life tapestry, a 1981 Ital which I didn't predict I'd be looking at upon the garden by any stretch of the imagination this week.

Huge thanks to the combined efforts of the Walgrave transport team for delivering it with consummate professionalism and for a perfectly good price, excellent work!

20210705_084026.thumb.jpg.19976283f4d27e5d99ebefe5dd5f21c8.jpg20210705_084902.thumb.jpg.0ce85c4bfb01e98cd014bed24d322319.jpg

I'm instantly at home in an AR product! 

13 hours ago, omegod said:

Not sure how to dispose of the 20-30 litres of contaminated fuel as the local tip won't take it, any ideas  ??????  

Mix with waste oil and turn into home made fence preservative? That’s what the guy at work who restores vintage motorcycles does

The number of household waste recycling places which do not take small quantities of car fluids is either increasing or are so few and far between that everyone on here is unlucky.

The smaller sites here in West Sussex don’t take oil/antifreeze/fuel but the major ones do - tip at your next town along might take it, your local county council should have a link to all household waste sites

34 minutes ago, Jikovron said:

Another sunrise and as always more to add to the life tapestry, a 1981 Ital which I didn't predict I'd be looking at upon the garden by any stretch of the imagination this week.

Huge thanks to the combined efforts of the Walgrave transport team for delivering it with consummate professionalism and for a perfectly good price, excellent work!

20210705_084026.thumb.jpg.19976283f4d27e5d99ebefe5dd5f21c8.jpg20210705_084902.thumb.jpg.0ce85c4bfb01e98cd014bed24d322319.jpg

I'm instantly at home in an AR product! 

Is that the manky beige one from the eBay thread?  Well done that man, I tip my Stetson!

38 minutes ago, eddyramrod said:

Is that the manky beige one from the eBay thread?  Well done that man, I tip my Stetson!

I spotted it on the Marina group on Facebook and decided for reasons unknown that it was ticking boxes I didn't know I had, must be that austin rover badge,,gets me every time! 

I decant my used oil into other small bottles and hide one or 2 a week in the black bin when needed, especially with my local tip being very far away atm thanks to covid... 

Although the weeds in the communal car park are looking terrible, I might loose a few litres over it all in the autumn... 

51 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

I decant my used oil into other small bottles and hide one or 2 a week in the black bin when needed, especially with my local tip being very far away atm thanks to covid... 

Although the weeds in the communal car park are looking terrible, I might loose a few litres over it all in the autumn... 

Into land fill ?  

I'm not sure what to say. I'm not a saint. And therefore won't throw the first stone, but I think....no... That's what I think...no..don't...think of the fish... 

31 minutes ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

Nothing a bit* of detailing can't fix... 😁😁😁

The detail where our erstwhile delivery driver should have been given an address that was similar to crap yard but with an S.  

A braver man than me...

In summary it's a badly facelifted mk2 cortinaesque car with slightly crap-er front suspension yet is likely considered drastically worse than a Ford or vauxhall et al of the time ,,,imo all are similarly dynamically poor compared to 2020s automotive standards but some brands have had better marketing brainwashing backup historically and in essence I'll be motoring around in this loving scrubbing the front sidewalls on the road and maybe just about getting some feeble axle tramp from that 1275cc muscle motor! Progress will occur when I can manage ,, my mind and body isn't that willing currently but still got to plan ahead regardless!