The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

1302 hours

motorwise.thumb.png.770cdb25299f9ba13b67ab27eb87d84d.png

car cost me £450 two years ago

Parts Emporium from Dewsbury ring - explained alternator seized, battery dead, but does have original cat. 'We'll have someone with you in two hours'

tara.thumb.jpg.9dd3ef44cb97ef10b0391547b752ba0d.jpg

Dignified, if slightly smoky exit. Guy hooked booster pack up, smoke billowing all over place as alt pulley seized. Drove up under own power onto trailer. Goneski.

TLDR Motorwise bloody good.

200 2nite m8

14 minutes ago, omegod said:

Part of me wants to ask you if you removed the Accords cat first but part of me is too scared to ask ........ 

Reasonable question, but no. I did say to the guy I reckon it was worth about £800 and he said that's about right. TBH it's not about the money - £350 for a pile of shite is good for me, and it takes out all the hassle of parting bits out here, there and everywhere. Ordinarily I'd have sold it to Dodgy Paul, the next door neighbour (he gave me Motorwise price for a Rover 45 with original cat), but he hasn't lived there for two years...

Left Fiat X1/9s behind many years ago for a variety of reasons,  but they're ganging up on me and dragging me back.. firstly a garage locally got in touch through a friend because of a 9-5 aero.. message went... I hear you know a bit about X1/9s?..

Went down for a nosey and they have a '77 1300 serie special which is being restored. Its going to be a very,very nice car when it's done, and I'm trying to help source a few parts for it. 

Then I got a call for work to pick up a 79 RS2000. Got to the  chap and recognised the car straight away- used to look after it when I had my garage, for  guy who had one of the best X1/9 1300s in the country. RS2000 is a South African built car and its been made absolutely mint, then

Got a call from a guy who I worked with about 15 years ago... Do you still mess around with X1/9s..........?

He's just moved jobs and his boss has one, along with loads of other rare and interesting stuff..  he asked me to go in and give it a going over, do the belts ,points,carb etc... I got all that done today and its running very nicely, but the fusebox is gubbed, and the pop ups don't work.. 

Kicking myself as I've had loads of X1/9s, and being around them again is reminding me why I love them, and I want one again but the prices are going crazy and I don't have a garage..

I used to have a garage, which was rammed full of X1/9 parts and spares, as well as a couple of complete spares cars and I had all the parts I need for the both of them squirrelled away, but I got rid of the lot.

Why didn't I just shut the door and walk away instead of having a tantrum and basically giving everything away

Lesson learned. 

Bugger.

7 hours ago, clayts450 said:

1302 hours

motorwise.thumb.png.770cdb25299f9ba13b67ab27eb87d84d.png

car cost me £450 two years ago

Parts Emporium from Dewsbury ring - explained alternator seized, battery dead, but does have original cat. 'We'll have someone with you in two hours'

tara.thumb.jpg.9dd3ef44cb97ef10b0391547b752ba0d.jpg

Dignified, if slightly smoky exit. Guy hooked booster pack up, smoke billowing all over place as alt pulley seized. Drove up under own power onto trailer. Goneski.

TLDR Motorwise bloody good.

Think my 900 might go the same way as I’m not sure I can be arsed with Facebook marketplace/eBay for a cheap car sale… and I just want the space now! Would be a shame but… 

8 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Think my 900 might go the same way as I’m not sure I can be arsed with Facebook marketplace/eBay for a cheap car sale… and I just want the space now! Would be a shame but… 

I think because it happened so quickly, I didn't have 'scrapper's remorse' nor time to think about the bad thing I done. TBH, it's a blessed relief seeing the back of it. And £50 saved each month on tax/insurance, which is also a win.

With the value of scrap, both steel and catalysts, as high as it is at the moment, anything less than a £500 car is scrap.  Seems a shame, but that's been true before, and it'll be true again.

I miss the days when scrap 90s catalysts weren't worth it, and light iron was about £15 a tonne.  There were some absolute belting bargains around.

150 miles covered in the Felicia, and it still has coolant in it and the oil is still clean.  At the risk of tempting fate I'm going to declare it fixorated.

Good to catch up with RobT, Trigger, and Brodders and his rather lovely beige Orion.  As usual, a wonderfully eclectic collection of vehicles at the ECR meet.

8 hours ago, Talbot said:

With the value of scrap, both steel and catalysts, as high as it is at the moment, anything less than a £500 car is scrap.  Seems a shame, but that's been true before, and it'll be true again.

I miss the days when scrap 90s catalysts weren't worth it, and light iron was about £15 a tonne.  There were some absolute belting bargains around.

I'd still rather keep a car that's got useful life in it on the road, even if you have to enjoy* a bit of banter with muppets on soshul meadya.

Mostly I end up selling to shitters anyway. 

38 minutes ago, Cord Forteener aka Tim_E said:

I'd still rather keep a car that's got useful life in it on the road, even if you have to enjoy* a bit of banter with muppets on soshul meadya.

The problem these days is if you sell a car that has a £500 catalyst on it and is worth £150 in light iron for £300 on arsebook, the likelihood is that it won't stay on the road, and said arsebook bloke will simply scrap it himself.  Better to simply scrap it yourself and get the cash.

That said, if I owned a car with a £500 cat on it, I'd likely weigh it in myself and put a £100 generic one on.  Saves the ballache of coming out one day to find it gone and nets me the £400 rather than some thieving tosser.

Finally have just clicked "buy" on a proper actual nice real deal MIG welder on Machine Mart (also bought regulator and gas bottle). If I wasn't in solitary confinement self isolating I might be a little more excited and drive the car around for a bit.

Moved the cars about on my lunch break today.

Had a look under the Cav at the brake lines as I know @320tourings similarly aged Toledo  needed new ones however the ones on the Cav have either lasted remarkably well, or are very well made replacements. GOOD CAR.

The Rover obviously got jealous and for its lack of use for the past 2 weeks it chucked its brake pad warning light on. Pads are definitely good,,  my gold 75 was the same. Filed under 'Heritage'. BAD CAR.

Put the Audi in my garage to do an oil change tonight. Tried to crack off the filter to save time tonight, this is always an arse due to its awkward location.  Wouldn't budge, shall reconvene tonight. Investigated the slight exhaust blown that I was convinced was getting louder. The join on the exhaust between the downpipe and middle looks like it's been at the bottom of the sea for a decade. Otherwise not too bad and there are 2 braces across the tunnel it sits in so it's not going to fall off. INDIFFERENT CAR.

DeadGTV.thumb.jpg.670bb2e537950d15738b42fde873c46d.jpg

This went to cartakeback today for £300.  It's been stored some 180 miles from my house and the lacquer peel had got much worse since this photo was taken (and it had lost all it's coolant), seeing as ~£1000 will still buy a decent example it wasn't worth faffing with.

Balls. Looks like my 25 years of clean driving are up. Got done for speeding in a car I hate, when I was running late for something after a monumentally stressful morning. Not even the glory of being done for speeding in something that's either genuinely stupidly fast, or genuinely stupidly slow.  All the more annoying, because as I general rule, I do not speed. 69 in a 60 suggests I definitely did that time. Didn't even see the van. (which suggests I was overtaking something).

9 minutes ago, dollywobbler said:

Balls. Looks like my 25 years of clean driving are up. Got done for speeding in a car I hate, when I was running late for something after a monumentally stressful morning. Not even the glory of being done for speeding in something that's either genuinely stupidly fast, or genuinely stupidly slow.  All the more annoying, because as I general rule, I do not speed. 69 in a 60 suggests I definitely did that time. Didn't even see the van. (which suggests I was overtaking something).

I am patiently waiting on a potential summons from tripping a gantry camera on m25 on way home after my Panda collection.   Do you get offered a speed awareness course ilo points for first offence /minor infringement?