The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

30 minutes ago, cort16 said:

That is taking the piss a bit. How long are you going to give them?

Not sure but my patience is running thin now. Will give them a call tonight or tomorrow as it'll be 4 weeks and 3 or 4 working days. Problem is that they're waiting on the DVLA and they are still on strike with the backlog getting worse. So I can't moan at the seller for taking so long. 

Thing is, he's said that he didn't pay tax as he thought it was exempt. However it's not as that's a separate form + process as we know. So it'll definitely come back without the plates off. But I want to know if they'll then resubmit it. That'll be another 4 weeks at least to sort on top. 

If I don't go for this, I'll have to find another. I liked this one as it had the 1275 engine retrofitted and had solid floors. Anything else in this price bracket is much more of a project. So basically I'd be getting more work for my money. Or I spend a whole lot more (like £4k) to get one that's road ready. 

In other news, the Clio 172 is in for an MOT tomorrow. Providing it passes reasonably easy, I think I'm going to sell it. If it would get into the Bristol Clean Air Zone without charge, it would have stayed. However given a choice between the very useful A4 and preferred to drive Boxster, the Clio is the least favourite. Especially as Mrs SiC finds the steering heavy to use and doesn't particularly enjoy driving it. Currently looking at the Mini Cooper S R53... Will have to be a facelift (54 plate on) by the looks of it to get into the CAZ exempt. 

I want to get something sorted before a mad rush in/around October when people suddenly realise and then panic buy a replacement - pushing up prices. 

Battery for the 480 finally turned up. Great, I thought, I'll put it in the car now and try fitting it at lunchtime. I reached into my pocket to where I thought the one key I have would be and it wasn't there. Shit! Must have fallen out of my pocket last night - onto a large car park surfaced with slate chippings that several cars had driven over this morning. Bugger!

IMG_20210623_110907.thumb.jpg.282a68965f203d906fdaffa663c3ea51.jpg

Got some help from the pros who happened to be on site, gridded the area and found it after 20 minutes.

IMG_20210623_111010.thumb.jpg.6aded247eb79135ec4286b9da67bc7d1.jpg

IMG_20210623_110922.thumb.jpg.8b3b7451566ad97a52fef34edd5326a5.jpg

Getting a spare cut this afternoon, until then it's on a BFO key ring.

IMG_20210623_120220.thumb.jpg.d27cdb0e484a4cf76a4546b3b55bd0a8.jpg

1302 hours

motorwise.thumb.png.770cdb25299f9ba13b67ab27eb87d84d.png

car cost me £450 two years ago

Parts Emporium from Dewsbury ring - explained alternator seized, battery dead, but does have original cat. 'We'll have someone with you in two hours'

tara.thumb.jpg.9dd3ef44cb97ef10b0391547b752ba0d.jpg

Dignified, if slightly smoky exit. Guy hooked booster pack up, smoke billowing all over place as alt pulley seized. Drove up under own power onto trailer. Goneski.

TLDR Motorwise bloody good.

5 minutes ago, clayts450 said:

1302 hours

Parts Emporium from Dewsbury ring - explained alternator seized, battery dead, but does have original cat. 'We'll have someone with you in two hours'

Dignified, if slightly smoky exit. Guy hooked booster pack up, smoke billowing all over place as alt pulley seized. Drove up under own power onto trailer. Goneski.

200 2nite m8

14 minutes ago, omegod said:

Part of me wants to ask you if you removed the Accords cat first but part of me is too scared to ask ........ 

Reasonable question, but no. I did say to the guy I reckon it was worth about £800 and he said that's about right. TBH it's not about the money - £350 for a pile of shite is good for me, and it takes out all the hassle of parting bits out here, there and everywhere. Ordinarily I'd have sold it to Dodgy Paul, the next door neighbour (he gave me Motorwise price for a Rover 45 with original cat), but he hasn't lived there for two years...

Left Fiat X1/9s behind many years ago for a variety of reasons,  but they're ganging up on me and dragging me back.. firstly a garage locally got in touch through a friend because of a 9-5 aero.. message went... I hear you know a bit about X1/9s?..

Went down for a nosey and they have a '77 1300 serie special which is being restored. Its going to be a very,very nice car when it's done, and I'm trying to help source a few parts for it. 

Then I got a call for work to pick up a 79 RS2000. Got to the  chap and recognised the car straight away- used to look after it when I had my garage, for  guy who had one of the best X1/9 1300s in the country. RS2000 is a South African built car and its been made absolutely mint, then

Got a call from a guy who I worked with about 15 years ago... Do you still mess around with X1/9s..........?

He's just moved jobs and his boss has one, along with loads of other rare and interesting stuff..  he asked me to go in and give it a going over, do the belts ,points,carb etc... I got all that done today and its running very nicely, but the fusebox is gubbed, and the pop ups don't work.. 

Kicking myself as I've had loads of X1/9s, and being around them again is reminding me why I love them, and I want one again but the prices are going crazy and I don't have a garage..

I used to have a garage, which was rammed full of X1/9 parts and spares, as well as a couple of complete spares cars and I had all the parts I need for the both of them squirrelled away, but I got rid of the lot.

Why didn't I just shut the door and walk away instead of having a tantrum and basically giving everything away

Lesson learned. 

Bugger.

7 hours ago, clayts450 said:

1302 hours

Think my 900 might go the same way as I’m not sure I can be arsed with Facebook marketplace/eBay for a cheap car sale… and I just want the space now! Would be a shame but… 

8 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Think my 900 might go the same way as I’m not sure I can be arsed with Facebook marketplace/eBay for a cheap car sale… and I just want the space now! Would be a shame but… 

I think because it happened so quickly, I didn't have 'scrapper's remorse' nor time to think about the bad thing I done. TBH, it's a blessed relief seeing the back of it. And £50 saved each month on tax/insurance, which is also a win.

With the value of scrap, both steel and catalysts, as high as it is at the moment, anything less than a £500 car is scrap.  Seems a shame, but that's been true before, and it'll be true again.

I miss the days when scrap 90s catalysts weren't worth it, and light iron was about £15 a tonne.  There were some absolute belting bargains around.

150 miles covered in the Felicia, and it still has coolant in it and the oil is still clean.  At the risk of tempting fate I'm going to declare it fixorated.

Good to catch up with RobT, Trigger, and Brodders and his rather lovely beige Orion.  As usual, a wonderfully eclectic collection of vehicles at the ECR meet.

8 hours ago, Talbot said:

With the value of scrap, both steel and catalysts, as high as it is at the moment, anything less than a £500 car is scrap.  Seems a shame, but that's been true before, and it'll be true again.

I miss the days when scrap 90s catalysts weren't worth it, and light iron was about £15 a tonne.  There were some absolute belting bargains around.

I'd still rather keep a car that's got useful life in it on the road, even if you have to enjoy* a bit of banter with muppets on soshul meadya.

Mostly I end up selling to shitters anyway.