The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Completely loving being back in a scruffy 90’s Mercedes. These cars are simply amazing and after owning every version over the last 20 years I’ve settled on a saloon as a keeper. This one sat for years unloved in a garden about 60 miles from my home. Went with a basic kit and got it started and drove it home.. every day I drive it, it gets better. 

CFD 

A5F8EBA7-7DDB-4A21-B535-E38E46596C75.jpeg

The mystery of the abandoned Golf appears to have been solved as the owner(?) has come round to ask if it'll be OK to leave it where it is until they can get a recovery truck, which is what they were trying to do yesterday. Apparently it was involved in an accident which damaged the wheel. suspension and, from the sound of it,  possibly the steering. Hopefully they'll be back to collect it later.     

1 hour ago, BL Bloke said:

The mystery of the abandoned Golf appears to have been solved as the owner(?) has come round to ask if it'll be OK to leave it where it is until they can get a recovery truck, which is what they were trying to do yesterday. Apparently it was involved in an accident which damaged the wheel. suspension and, from the sound of it,  possibly the steering. Hopefully they'll be back to collect it later.     

Good to know, better than nothing. 

The rheostat - is that still a word? Appears to have packed up on the 944. The blower works, but only on speed 4. Porsche sent me this less than dynamic illustration, the bit I'd guess that I want appears not to be numbered, but second from the right. Does anyone know any more than me? The Parts Advisor told me that he'd never even sat in a 944...430503282_Screenshot2021-06-22at16_57_55.thumb.png.b4253b1eac7f2cd7d10d3a0d7101a9d3.png

45 minutes ago, barefoot said:

The rheostat - is that still a word? Appears to have packed up on the 944. The blower works, but only on speed 4. Porsche sent me this less than dynamic illustration, the bit I'd guess that I want appears not to be numbered, but second from the right. Does anyone know any more than me? The Parts Advisor told me that he'd never even sat in a 944...430503282_Screenshot2021-06-22at16_57_55.thumb.png.b4253b1eac7f2cd7d10d3a0d7101a9d3.png

Can't speak for the 944 but usually the setup with heater blowers is that the switch is indeed just a multi-pole switch.  The actual resistor (or resistors if there are more than two speeds available) are usually mounted elsewhere, commonly on or inside the blower housing.  Maximum speed usually works by completely bypassing the resistor network, so even if the resistor fails generally full speed will still work.  So given you've got off and 4, I'd tend to be looking at the resistor pack.

I'd be looking for a diagram of the blower housing and seeing if it's visible there.

EDIT: Just did a quick Google for photos of the blower housing...Without doing a more in-depth analysis and never having worked on one of these cars, this I would expect to be the resistor pack.

1848334600_fanresistor.png.1b02963fda319140698b3de9c795f31c.png

Edit to the edit:

Yep!  Linky...

A rheostat is a variable resistor, usually wirewound, to take a fairly high current.  But is your fan speed control a rotary switch?  If 2 is the knob for the fan speed, 8 would be the bulb that fits inside the knob. Follow the dotted line through the panel (with numbers for fan speed) onto the square thing with the spindle sticking out of it. That square thing would be the switch that connects to a resistor pack.  If one or more of those resistors goes open circuit,  the speed control goes wrong  except for the fastest speed.    

Resistor pack:    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162918455066

31 minutes ago, cort1977 said:

You should buy a Mk 3 Cortina just to fit those wheels.  Then put some blocks between the axle and the leafs, chrome the diff cover and put a fog light above that to highlight the awesomeness after dark.

I remember seeing Cortinas like that when I was a lad, my father would take me to the local custom car show in Staines Middlesex I think it was once a month, all jacked up at the rear with a red light as you say, epic stuff1216499364_Screenshot_20210622-1851052.thumb.png.5ddfc8f6ad6a87ca6fae04f14b9c7149.png

Another Tuesday another Mavericks car gathering…. 
CA6A56F0-FC52-4D00-9D89-8AA52FE4B148.jpeg5EEE7A8E-1469-4CCD-AFBF-687F345D68EB.jpeg840F3665-BC63-4DBD-970C-216CC31DDC59.jpeg19178BD8-A6A0-4094-9547-F562C471F4B6.jpegBF2CB780-3883-44EE-B405-61EBCB541258.jpeg1FB125B1-4718-4BB2-B7E6-8BF5297F4815.jpegBD8732D2-4E19-48E3-81B3-867ED950EB6F.jpeg

Star of the show…

0E099643-68DE-41AD-BD73-F8D3EF622AEE.jpeg

But half way through… I had to move my car so we could create this situation… 

7CF99061-DC5A-4BA4-AB4C-22936A979A07.jpeg

However everyone suddenly starting leaving saying they needed to be home for 8… I thought the zoom might be very busy tonight… but apparently it’s some football kickabout or other… 

There's a rather complete  Rover 200 BRM at my local scrappy just now. Whole but scabby, rusted, smashed windows, hiab crane damage and a few plants growing in the passenger footwell sadly...

IMG_20210622_161408370.thumb.jpg.edaa34d2ff3bfa3db890adcdb362c6f4.jpg

Also doesn't have front seats anymore either.

They were in great nick for condition of the car, I have plans for them involving the Minor. 🙃

On 6/22/2021 at 8:20 PM, cort1977 said:

You should buy a Mk 3 Cortina just to fit those wheels.  Then put some blocks between the axle and the leafs, chrome the diff cover and put a fog light above that to highlight the awesomeness after dark.

I can't believe I'm the first to point out that the Cortina 3 didn't have leaf springs...

49921189681_d66d91ec1d_b.jpg

That red Plymouth is particularly lovely...

In other news...

I was working on my bike this morning, and when I took the reassembled wheel to the Volvo, parked in the front street, so I could use my electric pump to inflate the tyre, a police van pulled up in the street that runs past the end of mine.  Two officers got out and walked down to the far-end house on the opposite side to me.  They knocked, but didn't get any more answer than some barking from her little doggy.  (This is the woman with the white Audi TT convertible, with parking issues...) 

A couple of hours earlier, two women in a white Merc had been doing the same.  They were wearing a nurse/carer-type uniform, which I've seen Sian wearing so I guessed they were from her work.  So, she hasn't turned in?  It seems she went out at the usual sort of time.

After the police left and I had reassembled my bike, I was trying it out in the alley and came across a neighbour's mum, walking his dog for him.  She was most interested, having arrived while the police were still here, especially when we noticed the back gate was open.  Like, wide open.  Then we noticed one of the ground-floor back windows was smashed.  So mum went to try the back door, and it opened.  She closed it again immediately, before Sian's dog had a chance to leap out and bother the one she was walking.

Curiouser and curiouser, as Alice said.

Someone has been in the house since, as the front bedroom window has been opened; but no sign of the Audi.  Or of Sian.  No further visits from the police either. 

It is, as Toyah sang, A Mystery.  Right there in my street!

11 hours ago, Leyland Worldmaster said:

I might be experiencing an FTP. Lower Damper Bracket may have sheared off. 

Handling may have been rather interesting* before I was able to get into a safe place to check the cause of the wallowing and knocking... 

Still, not my vehicle... 😎

Look at Reliant Kitten posts !! 

https://autoshite.com/topic/45356-reliant-kitten-watch-this-space/?tab=comments#comment-2300906

Page 1 and 2