The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

16 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

That is literally right next to Ma_Sterling's house. If you'd varried on walking straight to beyond the trees, you'd eventually have seen a Mk1 or Mk2 Rover Sterling parked at the side of the road.

Windmill motors used to sell a lot of classics and repair cars, but I think the owner wound up the company to retire and rents out the premises. Whoever runs it now occasionally sells a cheap car or two. It definately isn't as it was years ago.

I remember all the classics at Windmill. In about 2014 they had a lovely postbox red Daimler V8 250 on the forecourt for £2,000

4 hours ago, SiC said:

Faulty switch will trigger an error light. Presumably it's thrown a warning up about the handbrake?

Yes, together with an injector error too.  I'm just ignoring both.  Seller said the latter has been there a while, so I'll play error message roulette until the summer is over then it's a case of 'see ya!'.  Or sooner of course, depending how things go.

6 hours ago, MondeoBlues said:

I remember all the classics at Windmill. In about 2014 they had a lovely postbox red Daimler V8 250 on the forecourt for £2,000

Ah! I was on France at the time. I remember oddly, they had a 1987 Daimler Sovereign in grey. It was up for something like  £2k then a week or ao later it was shoved to the side of the garage for £250 so I guess some sort of engine or gearbox failure.

I've taken quite a few photos over the years as the shops by there were my locals.

Fun fact: There was also a 2 episodes of Boon filmed by there in the late 80s using the corner shop and the other local shop resepctively.

Yes, together with an injector error too.  I'm just ignoring both.  Seller said the latter has been there a while, so I'll play error message roulette until the summer is over then it's a case of 'see ya!'.  Or sooner of course, depending how things go.
Seller might just had his local garage reset them for the MOT and they stay off long enough to get through?

10 minutes ago, 3VOM said:

To confirm - paid money got docs in reasonable timeframe.

Yeah, but I have had my plate almost 11 years, MrsV8 has had hers 12 years and she bought her dad one for his 70th 2 years ago. We are looking to get N01  son one for his 18th in October.

Things have changed a little since as they seem more interested in the auction side than a outright sale.

That is still possible though.

I’m working towards getting my Volvo 145 steering serviceable and today had lots of fun using a knotwheel in my grinder to remove scale (scale sounds better than rust) from the spindles and steering arms before treating them to red oxide primer and Hammerite top coat. I was going to buy a tin of black Hammerite but after seeing the price I dug around in the garage and found dark green, which will do the job nicely. All the ball joint rubber covers are split and need replacement, I’ve never replaced them before, is there a place that sells them separately? 

Moving on, the broken bolts that were seized into the donor steering box were finally removed with heat and sheer brute force and after a cleanup it’s ready to fit. There’s virtually no wear in the box but while ducking about with it I messed the adjustment up meaning it now needs to be  properly set again. I’ve watched a few YouTube videos and it seems pretty straightforward. I could just swap the pitman arm over the box that I already have fitted but it looks like a massive ball ache so I’m planning on just swapping the whole steering box over. 

838DF86F-E662-4421-AB01-98D3853B8619.jpeg

A91F87D9-3DC4-4AF6-8B09-D0DDB89A8BCC.jpeg

A47FEC2D-59D6-449D-B527-BB6E3AD5BCDA.jpeg

C3FB2781-785B-4F7D-B3D8-5D104185B67F.jpeg

9D70100E-C08C-4A50-AE02-B0D6DAB7BB75.jpeg

8D01F4A6-6281-4995-AFE6-8DA4520A7451.jpeg

44 minutes ago, SiC said:
1 hour ago, RobT said:

Seller might just had his local garage reset them for the MOT and they stay off long enough to get through?

Probably yes, the MoT was last November.

Someone's left me an accident damaged Golf Plus.  Unfortunately it's right across my driveway so the Rover and Saxo are blocked in. ☹️ Presumably the rest of the empty road was an unsuitable spot for its abandonment.image.png.52da4f2d7a6a170d50fc831e74096607.png

I suppose I should have gone out and found out what was going on during the two hours that someone was sitting in it but I thought they might have broken down and were waiting to be recovered. I've checked online and although it has an MOT the tax expired April 1st, which may be why it wasn't left on the road. Interestingly the last V5C was issued two days ago, a coincidence? I don't know anyone immature enough to dump a car across my driveway but who knows what goes on in the minds of men and it's certainly aroused my suspicions. 👿

You get a registration certificate with the entitlement to the number and you can say who is the nominated recipient. They send it back with the reg doc, it gets processed you get a new registration document and told to get the plates made and fitted.

18 minutes ago, BL Bloke said:

Someone's left me an accident damaged Golf Plus.  Unfortunately it's right across my driveway so the Rover and Saxo are blocked in. ☹️ Presumably the rest of the empty road was an unsuitable for its abandonment.image.png.52da4f2d7a6a170d50fc831e74096607.png

I suppose I should have gone out and found out what was going on during the two hours that someone was sitting in it but I thought they might have broken down and were waiting to be recovered. I've checked online and although it has an MOT the tax expired April 1st, which may be why it wasn't left on the road. Interestingly the last V5C was issued two days ago, a coincidence? I don't know anyone immature enough to dump a car across my driveway but who knows what goes on in the minds of men and it's certainly aroused my suspicions. 👿

Have you got a friend with a heavy vehicle like a hilux or other large (heavy) pickup or van?

I'd get it dragged just far enough so it's not blocking you in.

12 hours ago, 3VOM said:

You get a registration certificate with the entitlement to the number and you can say who is the nominated recipient. They send it back with the reg doc, it gets processed you get a new registration document and told to get the plates made and fitted.

thanks, i need to get it sorted

6 minutes ago, BL Bloke said:

Unfortunately not. I'll see if anyone comes back for it tomorrow, if not I'll have to see about getting it moved.

I don't know where you live but every other person drives a crew cab pickup where I live 🤣

Yes anyway sounds sensible. I hope you get it sorted before long. 

13 hours ago, Lankytim said:

All the ball joint rubber covers are split and need replacement, I’ve never replaced them before, is there a place that sells them separately? 

I think I have a bag of them you're welcome to take what you need from? I can post them up to you and then send back what you don't use? I bought a bag of twenty or fifty or something about 5 years ago.

I'll check in the morning.

EDIT - yes I do still have them, PM me if you like and I'll post them up to you. its a bag of small, medium and large ball joint dust covers including retaining clips, there are probably 15 or so left in a mixture of sizes. Use what you need and send back what you dont.