The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, MondeoBlues said:

Booked tix to FoTU in what will be my first ever outdoor car show 

I'll be rocking up in this

20210612_132227.jpg

That is literally right next to Ma_Sterling's house. If you'd varried on walking straight to beyond the trees, you'd eventually have seen a Mk1 or Mk2 Rover Sterling parked at the side of the road.

Windmill motors used to sell a lot of classics and repair cars, but I think the owner wound up the company to retire and rents out the premises. Whoever runs it now occasionally sells a cheap car or two. It definately isn't as it was years ago.

20 minutes ago, High Jetter said:

Yebbut; it tails off after the mane event. At least HE will know the way home after many shandies hours.

Hay man! That is obviously a STRAW man argument***... 😜😜😜😂😂😂

***Wine might be involved in this post... 🍷🍷

Edited by Leyland Worldmaster
Penguins.

Another weekend with not a great deal of fettling done, due to the weather mostly being dismal.  It cleared up somewhat this afternoon, so I spent some time contemplating how best to sort the exhaust on the Innocenti.  I only got as far as getting the back box off before I went to pick up Tim E from the station, and we spent a couple of hours talking about, amongst other things, violins.  Once Tim had headed off westward I had another look at the exhaust and decided that the easiest way to sort it would be to take the whole thing off the car.  The two downpipe-to-manifold bolts came undone easily enough and with the two remaining hangers removed the exhaust slid out quite easily from the front of the car.

Having looked at old and new centre sections together, I'm going to have to use the whole of the new section, with an extension aft of the silencer to bring it up to the required length for my LWB model - the existing centre section is pretty fucked all the way along.  The front and centre sections are currently welded together, and there's no way in heck that the weld is going to come apart whilst leaving the pipe intact, but fortunately there's enough of the front pipe in front of the existing join that the new centre section will slide over it.  So in theory all I need is a 250mm section of straight 38mm pipe and a selection of clamps.  I'll get those ordered and have a crack next week.  I also ordered a standard Mini brake master cylinder - I'm hoping it fits OK...

After that I put my brave pants on and had a crack at fitting the new column stalks to the Ypsilon.  The airbag was a right fiddly bastard to remove, but I got it off in the end.  The wheel came off easily, as did the old column stalks.

DSC_1658.thumb.JPG.290355edbbba5ab97db9bdd186a40d0c.JPG

I had to swap the clock springs around as the new stalks were wired for a multi-function steering wheel so the plug for the horn was different.  Other than that it was fairly straightforward and everything went back together easily enough.

DSC_1660.thumb.JPG.6c8bf3693c29658c7b675f0735223c68.JPG

And the new stalks work!  I now have DRLs, rather than having the headlights on all the time.  With the ignition off I also now have parking lights available - previously no illumination was possible without the key in.

DSC_1661.thumb.JPG.c70887c05274e2553276dfa24e25cba8.JPG

So have I managed to fix a modern?  Not quite.  I've somehow done something not quite right whilst refitting the airbag assembly, so the horn is on all the time.  The left side of the steering wheel centre boss doesn't seem to have any in and out movement.  I've pulled the fuse for now; when I can be arsed I'm going to have to take the airbag out again and see if I can see what I've done wrong.  Or I might just leave it and fit air horns wired up to a separate switch...

8 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

Strange fact, a horse is about 14hp at max output. 1hp is its sustainable output. A human can make about 5hp at max.

5hp would be 3.7kw.  Human output is nowhere near that:

Normal human metabolism produces heat at a basal metabolic rate of around 80 watts.[1]

During a bicycle race, an elite cyclist can produce close to 400 watts of mechanical power over an hour and in short bursts over double that—1000 to 1100 watts; modern racing bicycles have greater than 95% mechanical efficiency. An adult of good fitness is more likely to average between 50 and 150 watts for an hour of vigorous exercise. Over an 8-hour work shift, an average, healthy, well-fed and motivated manual laborer may sustain an output of around 75 watts of power.[2] However, the potential yield of human electric power is decreased by the inefficiency of any generator device, since all real generators incur considerable losses during the energy conversion process.[citation needed]

While attempts have been made to fit electric generators to exercise equipment, the energy collected is of low value compared to the cost of the conversion equipment.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_power

The figure for the horse (14hp) is what I've read several times before.  Apparently the "burst power" of a horse, compared to it's sustainable power is really very high.

1 minute ago, wuvvum said:

So the max output of a high-end MAMIL is about 1.5bhp?  That's not bad, considering.

Seems reasonable. 

It takes two to comfortably power a pop-up bicycle-powered cinema, but one can do it solo for a minute or so. An athlete would have more too.

Bought this last week.

20210620_104520.thumb.jpg.b7a9f16c14734e2a40ad8907f1d1b5b8.jpg

Can't bear another summer without AC, so that was pretty much my only requirement.  Cheap and not dull as fuck were the others.  I decided not to read the horror stories, just making sure the AC was cold and it was being sold by an honest person.  It's a 1.9 dCi, handbrake is inop, and all I ask is it lasts until October.

20210617_140608.thumb.jpg.89c535bb609252463843e6e8f060abbb.jpg

That's seem some action but meh.  I'll take my chances.

4 hours ago, RobT said:

Maybe the previous owners are firm believers in the ability of the hazard light switch to allow you to park anywhere at anytime? It may* not be breakdown related.

*but probably is :)

7 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Strange fact, a horse is about 14hp at max output. 1hp is its sustainable output. A human can make about 5hp at max.

I think 14hp is peak torque for heavy draught breeds like Clydesdales and Suffolk Punches.

Irish Draughts make a bit less than that.

Some tuning* might be possible, but the gains may not be measurable. 

I think James Watt used the higher end of a large horse's output and over stated what most horses are capable of over a sustained period, rest periods and sleep were not included. Effectively he undersold his first machine at 1 horse power equal to more than most working horses could manage.

Some say it's because his sample he used was small, being that of big big hosses, some because he just used the wrong numbers, some because he wanted to avoid being immediately lynched by every horse guy in the country straight away.

Some minor progress this weekend. Sierra brakes are getting there, may need a new pipe section to match up with the new hoses but not a big deal. Front suspension all back together with new hardware. Please excuse the brake calipers, I'm from Essex and I can't help myself.

Washed the mustang, what's that mark on my lovely new wheels? Oh, that will be brake fluid ruining the finish. Fuck sticks. Hopefully just a banjo washer or something simple.

20210620_103613.jpg

On 6/21/2021 at 1:53 AM, wuvvum said:

Had a couple of those Scénics, they're not a bad steer but they do have the usual electrical issues suffered by most Renaults of that era.  I'm assuming it's an electric handbrake?  I think most of them were.

Yep it's electric.  I might remove the switch and give it a blast of contact cleaner, although I'm not sure that's wise.  I'd rather it didn't work at all than give it the chance to engage randomly at any given moment.

On 6/21/2021 at 5:47 AM, Heidel_Kakao said:

Maybe the previous owners are firm believers in the ability of the hazard light switch to allow you to park anywhere at anytime? It may* not be breakdown related.

*but probably is :)

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.  I'm living dangerously at the moment and haven't got any breakdown cover, as I had to splash out on a normal insurance policy for the Scenic (didn't want their RAC cover option, because the RAC seem shit nowadays).  I assume Autoaid are still OK so I'll opt for them.

Beige interior was another plus point, even if it was minging.  Seat bases still need a go with something.

20210620_104549.thumb.jpg.14651ebd5c70a048369c59135f4437e7.jpg

12 hours ago, RobT said:

Bought this last week.

20210620_104520.thumb.jpg.b7a9f16c14734e2a40ad8907f1d1b5b8.jpg

Can't bear another summer without AC, so that was pretty much my only requirement.  Cheap and not dull as fuck were the others.  I decided not to read the horror stories, just making sure the AC was cold and it was being sold by an honest person.  It's a 1.9 dCi, handbrake is inop, and all I ask is it lasts until October.

I had to tow home my cousins one this morning,turbo went bang.

1 hour ago, RobT said:

Yep it's electric.  I might remove the switch and give it a blast of contact cleaner, although I'm not sure that's wise.  I'd rather it didn't work at all than give it the chance to engage randomly at any given moment.

Good point, I hadn't thought of that.  I'm living dangerous at the moment and haven't got any breakdown cover, as I had to splash out on a normal insurance policy for the Scenic (didn't want their RAC cover option, because the RAC seem shit nowadays).  I assume Autoaid are still OK so I'll opt for them.

Beige interior was another plus point, even if it was minging.  Seat bases still need a go with something.

20210620_104549.thumb.jpg.14651ebd5c70a048369c59135f4437e7.jpg

Faulty switch will trigger an error light. Presumably it's thrown a warning up about the handbrake? Error code reader is your friend here (e.g. DS150e). Should put the handbrake on automatically when switched off. Likewise when you pull off, it should auto disengage. 

Btw centre arm rest box can be moved by pushing the button under the handle. Being a 2000 Renault, instead of making it purely mechanical, they use an electric motor to unlock it so it can slide. 🤣