The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

7 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

This is kind of where I was when I picked up my 107 back in 2009.  Yes it was a lot of money down the drain (about £200pcm, but with no deposit and the finance was on 0% interest) but it meant I knew exactly what I was spending on it each month so it made my budgeting so much easier - even though it was more than I'd probably have been spending on cars in a normal month, just knowing it was a fixed number simplified things.

Plus it was so much of a weight off my mind to just have a car I knew was just going to work as an car.  Especially as my tinkering spot at the time was at my parent's place 40 miles away.  After the three years we paid the £3k or so that was left (rather than part exchanging it for another car which is what they *wanted* me to do), and we had it for another seven years.

Was an absolutely cracking little car and I don't regret buying new for a minute. 

DSCF7102_edit_376693110785229.thumb.jpg.28cc0c5add79bdc31591b88142402a01.jpg

DSCF7115.thumb.jpg.b37d0c07e6d001f774a30de16f6c26a5.jpg

During that time (was a couple of months short of ten years) she needed a clutch, radiator, air con condenser and a driveshaft.  Other than that was just normal consumables...if I'd got the space I'd still have the car to be honest.

If you're going to buy new i suppose this is the way to do it. 

One set of neighbours has each bought a new car and seem intent on eeking every possible year out of the cars. Seems sensible.

For me I've worked out that for our dailies, between me and Wifey equate to about £80 or £100 a car. That includes repairs that are non-service items.

If it were more I'd consider a nearly new commuter for wifey (though she's happy with older at the moment) but for a large estate for me it would cost more, so therfore I buy cheap for both and we're happy.

After many weekends cleaning up electrical contacts with absolutely no response whatsoever, today the courtesy light in the CX has decided to work.

The conclusion that I have drawn from this exercise is that I don't understand women. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe "look but don't touch" is better.

20210619_131047.jpg

I welded* the Cavalier sill today. I did not enjoy it.

The slightly rusty bit above the hole also developed after I'd welded the bottom bit and was happily grinding it back. Fuck. Off.

20210619_100024.thumb.jpg.b4db6236641d93e0f802684e44113b28.jpg

This was my first time welding a car. The metal used in the sill was expectedly incredibly thin so getting any kind of nice weld run was impossible without blowing holes. Both settings on my MIG were turned right down. Then the wire feed started playing silly buggers and slipping even when the adjuster was screwed right down.

Eventually I managed to get it all done in a 'point and shoot' fashion.

20210619_124339.thumb.jpg.d3acd732776948519adb5ec27e9485dd.jpg

It looks like utter dog shit in the above picture. I ground it down more and made more holes where the weld was shite. Eventually I got everything metal that should be metal and it the 2 plates didn't fall off.

Then another small  hole in the very bottom corner of the inner wheel arch decided to show up late to the party.

20210619_131423.thumb.jpg.efd613d02a0fcf1363698f1b5905a3af.jpg

There is a lot of factory sealant here and digging it all out would have been a right old a war. In the pictures below you'll see I ground the hole back to decent-ish metal. There are already 2 bungs here and lots of factory sealant so another round hole with more 'factory- style'  Tiger Seal was opted for. 

20210619_132903.thumb.jpg.949da572b8bd6b21ceb13ed8f2871c31.jpg

I then painted it with some 'special stuff'. Some frost blue is in the post.

20210619_131250.thumb.jpg.edcaefb02691bcdea737ea9c6ce45063.jpg

It's better than it was.

I also ground back and painted other small stone chips on the sill at the same time, together with some rust on the door bottom.

Any tips on sorting out a slipping wire feed or indeed welding thin metal are welcome.

1 minute ago, tooSavvy said:

@Fumbler... ".it'll become clear what I want the oil for later on."

Ahh... 3-in-1 never goes in a SturmeyArcher 3speed bicycle hub.

I boughted 'bestest longmarch sewmeole' sewing machine oil... GR9!

;)

😂 It's definitely not going to be on moving parts, that's for sure.

4 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Any tips on sorting out a slipping wire feed or indeed welding thin metal are welcome.

Try to have a similar thickness of new metal going in, the Acclaim is made of tinfoil so most of it's repairs were done in 0.8mm steel, aside from chassis legs which were in 1.2mm I think. Also rather than trying to run a weld just tack in alternating corners and slowly fill in the gaps. Gives the metal more time to cool and less chance of blowing holes.

If the metal isn't welding because it's rusted thin from the inside the best course of action is to just hack it out. It's easier to weld big square patches on to good steel than to try and weld tiny patches on to compromised steel, just a bit daunting to chop big chunks out of your car... Just think of it as doing next year's welding as well as this years...

20 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

Try to have a similar thickness of new metal going in, the Acclaim is made of tinfoil so most of it's repairs were done in 0.8mm steel, aside from chassis legs which were in 1.2mm I think. Also rather than trying to run a weld just tack in alternating corners and slowly fill in the gaps. Gives the metal more time to cool and less chance of blowing holes.

If the metal isn't welding because it's rusted thin from the inside the best course of action is to just hack it out. It's easier to weld big square patches on to good steel than to try and weld tiny patches on to compromised steel, just a bit daunting to chop big chunks out of your car... Just think of it as doing next year's welding as well as this years...

Cheers chap, good to see that the multiple tacking method is unanimously agreed upon. That's what I did latterly and it worked slightly better.

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

I welded* the Cavalier sill today. I did not enjoy it.

The slightly rusty bit above the hole also developed after I'd welded the bottom bit and was happily grinding it back. Fuck. Off.

20210619_100024.thumb.jpg.b4db6236641d93e0f802684e44113b28.jpg

This was my first time welding a car. The metal used in the sill was expectedly incredibly thin so getting any kind of nice weld run was impossible without blowing holes. Both settings on my MIG were turned right down. Then the wire feed started playing silly buggers and slipping even when the adjuster was screwed right down.

Eventually I managed to get it all done in a 'point and shoot' fashion.

20210619_124339.thumb.jpg.d3acd732776948519adb5ec27e9485dd.jpg

It looks like utter dog shit in the above picture. I ground it down more and made more holes where the weld was shite. Eventually I got everything metal that should be metal and it the 2 plates didn't fall off.

Then another small  hole in the very bottom corner of the inner wheel arch decided to show up late to the party.

20210619_131423.thumb.jpg.efd613d02a0fcf1363698f1b5905a3af.jpg

There is a lot of factory sealant here and digging it all out would have been a right old a war. In the pictures below you'll see I ground the hole back to decent-ish metal. There are already 2 bungs here and lots of factory sealant so another round hole with more 'factory- style'  Tiger Seal was opted for. 

20210619_132903.thumb.jpg.949da572b8bd6b21ceb13ed8f2871c31.jpg

I then painted it with some 'special stuff'. Some frost blue is in the post.

20210619_131250.thumb.jpg.edcaefb02691bcdea737ea9c6ce45063.jpg

It's better than it was.

I also ground back and painted other small stone chips on the sill at the same time, together with some rust on the door bottom.

At least you're giving it a go! My welding is far from good. I only got into a rythym about 3/4 of the way through welding the Manta jig together, I'm not looking forward to starting on the manta itself. More practice is needed! If the jig doesn't collapse first...

I jumped about 25 years in tv tech today. I had a Philips huge box thing with a digi box which died suddenly of, probably, old age. I was having a chat with a mate today and happened to mention it, I was thinking about not bothering with one anymore coz most of it is quite crap and getting worse, and he said his sister had done the upgrade thing to one of these massive things and I could have her old one. For FREE ! I thought it might be a huge one but it's a 32 inch and fits fine in my little hovel. So I now have my first flat screen, where I can put you toob and stuff on and it's HD and all that.  I'm suitably impressed.

2 hours ago, MondeoBlues said:

Booked tix to FoTU in what will be my first ever outdoor car show 

I'll be rocking up in this

20210612_132227.jpg

That is literally right next to Ma_Sterling's house. If you'd varried on walking straight to beyond the trees, you'd eventually have seen a Mk1 or Mk2 Rover Sterling parked at the side of the road.

Windmill motors used to sell a lot of classics and repair cars, but I think the owner wound up the company to retire and rents out the premises. Whoever runs it now occasionally sells a cheap car or two. It definately isn't as it was years ago.