The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

MX5 sold for a price I'm happy with.

Three lads turned up in a diesel Mondeo estate, they were big lads and alarm bells were starting to ring slightly.  Turns out they were sound, buyer asked a couple of sensible questions, quick look underneath and a slight haggle and we agreed a price.  Transferred the money straight away and off they went.

Perfect Gumtree sale shocker.

Looked at the Cavs gear linkage today. There was a small amount of play so I compared it with the green one (which isn't technically mine now and is being collected at tea time) which has a known good linkage and that was the same. So I think the linkage is fine and there's no noticeable free play at the stick either.

I lubed it up with some silicone grease and worked it a bit, felt fine. If it's still the same, the readjustment procedure is fairly simple.

2 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Fuck me I hate the dentist. My mouth hurts afterwards. Not as bad as before but I can see why people go to ends to avoid going. 

Any tips on getting an NHS dentist? All the local ones are not taking on patients. I'd loath to go private especially after paying enough each month on National Insurance. 

I used to think that then I got private dental insurance, now I don't dread the dentist (as much) think I pay 24 a month but its salary sacrifice. 

6 minutes ago, 1duck said:

I used to think that then I got private dental insurance, now I don't dread the dentist (as much) think I pay 24 a month but its salary sacrifice. 

I know the feeling. Had private cover in Ireland including health insurance. Ireland had a public/private system. 

I paid about €600 for health insurance per year and it covered everything, and I could walk into the GP in the morning or see a Dentist at a time that suited me. I'm paying £3000 per year in NI and I can't even see a NHS dentist (as a regular patient) to make use of my contributions. 

I'd actually prefer a subsidised model for improved service here. But it'll never happen as the NHS is a sarcred cow. 

7 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Nice steering wheel. Mine has the big boaby airbag one as its a late model Cabriolet.

Thanks! 

I sourced it very cheap from a wreckers and then was astounded to find out they go for 10x as much on eBay 

1 hour ago, Spurious said:

Any tips on getting an NHS dentist? All the local ones are not taking on patients. I'd loath to go private especially after paying enough each month on National Insurance. 

www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/how-to-find-an-nhs-dentist/

@Spurious, I had a broken tooth and couldn't get a new dentist for love nor money. There was a 10+ week waiting list for an NHS appointment at my usual place and all others weren't taking on new patients. I gave up after phoning about 10 other dentists and had to eat shit (£150 to have my tooth removed that week). 

Insurance renewel time , galaxy tdi and mondeo v6, with missus and me with ability to drive any vehicle under 3rd party cover etc etc comes in at £800 odd fully comp, yeah I could get cheaper but many insurers wouldn't let me add my fiancé as she lives at different address... but I'm happy to pay it..

20210609_124049.jpg

20210613_194513.jpg

Had a go at polishing the paint blowover I did on the wing. Sufficed to say, everywhere apart from the rust repair at the bottom looks rather cack. 

PXL_20210617_200813570.thumb.jpg.db4581c34c6ae952a45cf3b7bdc10b3b.jpg

PXL_20210617_200849208.thumb.jpg.96de468d5ce7b0bc7d796db0e53cfa43.jpg

The images flatter it rather well. If there was an excuse to take it off again and repaint it, this would be it.

1 minute ago, SiC said:

They don't 🤣

Trust me, you wouldn't like to see it in person. It looks awful! The shine messing with the camera really does flatter it as it conveniently obscures most of the heavy paint areas, scrapes, wrinkles in some areas and other sins.

On 11/06/2021 at 18:54, Cord Forteener aka Tim_E said:

Sounds like a holiday!

I have been a little secretive about my week away. I come home late Saturday.

I am currently abroad. Not for a holiday nor for work purposes.

In 1984 my maternal grandparents moved to Spain but ran their garage business remotely until 1987 when they sold up. My maternal grandmother passed away last year and we’ve carried out their wishes as per their wills and testaments. Where they moved to was part of the Graham Maynard timeshare scandal of the 1980s and was featured on The Cook Report.

basically the place they moved to was largely incomplete and granddad finished off his apartamento and those of his neighbours and landscaped the barren ground which became the common gardens for all the resident.

33EFBCFD-919C-4E9C-8E0E-4F10CB4BE3AC.thumb.jpeg.d0c51ce9a0dd9967474842426ed364a8.jpeg

My mum, my aunt, me, my brother and my 4.5y/o niece scattered their ashes this morning in the gardens they created.

28F4DD3B-606D-44FD-85B0-3F2F6CD04B42.thumb.jpeg.af2d484d10c0baa65c274d2ce6893356.jpeg

I am willing to put money on a number of you saying that I’ve been totally irresponsible by travelling abroad during a pandemic. This was booked on nan’s passing last April as we thought C-19 would have been over. If it was a normal holiday I would agree; This time I think not. (Aside from the church service and the interment of my grandparents ashes we’ve remained isolated in our villa save the occasional trip to a Mercadona and taken LF tests daily.)

Descanse en paz abuela y abuelo.  Estás descansando en la casa de tus sueños y te extrañamos mucho.

On the plus side I spotted this in the car park on the way back from the church.

B4732E5B-076F-4F3E-8DFF-51848958CC59.thumb.jpeg.243f7b6fd2574cae5702685b2673db67.jpeg

Glad you were able to finally get there.  I don't think you're being irresponsible at all, but then I'm more in favour of opening things up than perhaps some people are.  Nice Renner Eight - a bit* shinier than the one on eBay (which I'm definitely not* the high bidder on at the moment).

For some reason Google Translate seems to struggle with the different forms of "you" in Spanish - it often seems determined to use the singular when it should be obvious from the context that the plural is required.