The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

16 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

I'm not sure,  if I'm honest I didn't check to see if one was there! I kind of assumed there was one.

The Astra used to have a badge like this one. I'm not sure if the facelift ones all had intercoolers.

I can't remember were I put my shoes 10 minutes ago but I remember this obscure detail from 25 years ago.

33034423306_a46e7c58c2_b.jpg

6 hours ago, Austat said:

Came across a pop-up stand for Genesis on my walk in the city today. Not sure if Genesis has been introduced to the UK market, but it appears to be Hyundai's up-market sub-brand. Nothing spectacular, but interesting regardless.

IMG_6199.thumb.JPG.e2d70323d18df0f4e3b44e9b67e4a06b.JPG

IMG_6200.thumb.JPG.03b209e4f9db9f8d549ea80d59a6ccba.JPG

IMG_6201.thumb.JPG.b7ac8013b00f02ed93a97d896991aa63.JPG

IMG_6202.thumb.JPG.eb3dbec8238fb31ede6c41aa62419f58.JPG

If I have had to choose one out of the lineup on display, I'd go for a G70.

What is it with MASSIVE GOPPING GRILLES these days?  😜

(said the man with the Lexarse...)

1 hour ago, trigger said:

For anyone local and interested we are restarting our car meets at Shotley again! Obviously Covid is making it a nightmare but the Pub will be locking it doors as they still need to provide table service  but instead are doing a BBQ on the field and soft drinks.

1892861508_CopyofAUTOSHOW-MadewithPosterMyWall(5).thumb.jpg.4595f407d2d2681e433215c0e2551ab9.jpg

I'm planning on trundling down in the Škoda - should be a good test of whether or not the head gasket is fixed, ahead of the run up to Lincs next month for FOTU.

1 hour ago, cort16 said:

Is the diesel one intercooled? I seem to remember that made a big different to these back in the day.

My mate parents had a early mk3 Astra 1.7 TD intercooled  and it could really shift.

Pretty much all remaining Cav diesels have the (intercooled) Isuzu engine.  There was an n/a diesel, badged 1.7D early on but it was dropped before the facelift I think - and was utterly miserable!  Many were taxis back in their day actually.

The 1.7TD Isuzu in the Cavalier was a brilliant engine; I wish I still had mine.  I can understand why you'd keep it over the 1.8 Pez, Split_Pin!

2 hours ago, cort16 said:

The Astra used to have a badge like this one. I'm not sure if the facelift ones all had intercoolers.

I can't remember were I put my shoes 10 minutes ago but I remember this obscure detail from 25 years ago.

33034423306_a46e7c58c2_b.jpg

I hear ya!

I was out at the shops in it tonight cruised along great.

There's a few things I want to sort:

Temperature needle is sticky, you need to give it a tap like a barometer. Forecast: 85bhp.

Gearstick sometimes fails to comply. A lube of the linkage and a gear oil change will hopefully sort this.

Weld a 5p sized hole in the sill.

1 hour ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

The 1.7TD Isuzu in the Cavalier was a brilliant engine;

That's true, especially comparing it with the engine in its main competitor, first the Peugeot 2.3D in the Sierra, which was durable but archaic, and later the Ford 1.8TD in the Sierra and Mondeo, which was still fairly rough, and not especially long lasting.

Having the two side by side, with the green Cav looking mint and the derv looking somewhat patinated,  I did question if I was doing the right thing. But the derv is just so much more fun to drive (temporary gear issue aside!).

@cort16 great news on the Granada MOT. How is it running now? The key is tremendous!

On 6/14/2021 at 8:52 PM, Cord Forteener aka Tim_E said:

Hurray for safety glasses!

I was strimming weeds from under an electric fence with a brush cutter blade for a customer when the blade kicked a stone the size of my first two knuckles right at my left eye of my safety glasses, and therefore not my eyeball. 

There was a good thunk and much hurraying to myself for being sensible. 

My mate Mark is a gardener. This happened to him. He now only has one eye. 

Still a fantastic batsman though, so all is not lost. 🤷‍♂️ 😉 

36 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

Having the two side by side, with the green Cav looking mint and the derv looking somewhat patinated,  I did question if I was doing the right thing. But the derv is just so much more fun to drive (temporary gear issue aside!).

@cort16 great news on the Granada MOT. How is it running now? The key is tremendous!

It seems to be running okay. Apparently the gearbox mount is really bad and probably the cause of the weird vibration its had since I got i.

Just need to get it off now.

MX5 sold for a price I'm happy with.

Three lads turned up in a diesel Mondeo estate, they were big lads and alarm bells were starting to ring slightly.  Turns out they were sound, buyer asked a couple of sensible questions, quick look underneath and a slight haggle and we agreed a price.  Transferred the money straight away and off they went.

Perfect Gumtree sale shocker.

Looked at the Cavs gear linkage today. There was a small amount of play so I compared it with the green one (which isn't technically mine now and is being collected at tea time) which has a known good linkage and that was the same. So I think the linkage is fine and there's no noticeable free play at the stick either.

I lubed it up with some silicone grease and worked it a bit, felt fine. If it's still the same, the readjustment procedure is fairly simple.