The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

6 hours ago, Lankytim said:

The switchgear is semi-intact. I tried to remove a couple and I think they've been effected by damp ingress. When I go back ill take them all out and have a look. 

The interior is all there but again, decades of damp have badly effected it all. 

Any trim bits are worth having. Hardest to get. Not relevant for me in this case but I've been looking for about 2 years for chrome windscreen trim for a PC Cresta. Nothing yet and I'm not holding out much hope.

21 hours ago, Bren said:

I didn't even enquire - and i'll tell you why.

The car suffered with a burst hose which I knew would be main dealer only. When I rang up my local dealer and told them the model and age they stated they had little to do with them anymore. In fairness they got me the part - forty odd quid - but you can see they are about selling finance and throwing a BMW in. I felt a bit embarassed getting a part for a 17 year old car.

Meanwhile you can still ring Mercedes and buy half a W203. Both BMW and Audi are lacking in that unfortunately

Hurray for safety glasses!

I was strimming weeds from under an electric fence with a brush cutter blade for a customer when the blade kicked a stone the size of my first two knuckles right at my left eye of my safety glasses, and therefore not my eyeball. 

There was a good thunk and much hurraying to myself for being sensible. 

3 hours ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Micra ran great for 24hours, then back to all over the place on the idle.  

I give up, it's in the local mechanics tomorrow if they cannot sort it, they can squash the ungrateful little shit box.  

Apologies if this has already been tried and done, but has the ECU been interrogated? There's the LED strip on the side and the OBD1 port as well to approach it. Also, MAF sensor, but I'd expect this was already done.

3 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Laptop I had I was forced to part with recently, so no it has not been, the garage it's going to handles all the work for a K11 softtop (yes it's a thing) so I am hoping they can handle the problem.  I suspect it may end with another throttlebody as it seems k11 consumes them like bloody petrol. 

Of course finding one for a N-CVT is interesting as afaik they are unique and different from the manual versions.

I'm rather surprised it's lasted so long its shat its throttle body as opposed to its gearbox. My HBOL showed what light combos on the LED strip meant what. The MAF suggestion was from my dad's experience with the family K11 which went all kangaroo when the MAF went on one journey. Reading into it a bit, the fact your car sounds fine when revved suggests something else though.

Don't give up on the wee thing just yet. There aren't many really early K11s bimbling about anymore. Besides, yours has just been welded so has a much better chance of surviving the weather.

2 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

It's off to a local shop tomorrow as it's downright irritating to drive, with a rattling calliper and this idle issue.  They fix a soft top K11 so I have some hope they can sort this.   

And knowing we never got soft top K11s, I'm willing to bet it's an auto as well. I remember seeing a JDM import for sale last year.

On 6/7/2021 at 10:40 AM, barefoot said:

This morning I have entered the Scirocco into the show n shine at the upcoming Camper Jam fest. I know the concours judge & the other judge so I'm hoping that a teeny bit of very light hearted, meat pie based bribery will go an awfully long way towards coming home with best in show.

IMG_4405.thumb.JPG.2a9a8e712801698314422a092f6a4d2a.JPG

...or possibly not.

I've completely re-arranged my trophy cabinet in anticipation of at least a 'Best Scirocco' trophy & that fat bumbling bastard Johnson has only gone & caused the fucking show to be cancelled!

Bought some new calipers last month, trying to return the old ones for surcharge refund.

Can't take them to the shop myself, as they're "closed due to covid - mail order only".

Tried to post them, can't. "It's all privatised now and they won't take car parts". What if I described it as a metal casting? "Well if it goes on a car we won't take it".

Maybe I could turn up to the shop wearing a hi vis and headphones and grunt "courier" and chuck it at them...

15 hours ago, Cord Forteener aka Tim_E said:

Hurray for safety glasses!

I was strimming weeds from under an electric fence with a brush cutter blade for a customer when the blade kicked a stone the size of my first two knuckles right at my left eye of my safety glasses, and therefore not my eyeball. 

There was a good thunk and much hurraying to myself for being sensible. 

A good friend of mine explained in one sentence why council workers and similar maintainers of open spaces always wear visors: "Nothing beats the taste of freshly strimmed dog shit."

I can't find the shitely thread so I'll post here.

Tomorrow I shall be driving from Tamworth to Northampton, then to Preston.

Thursday will involve Preston - Biggar - Aberdeen.

All to be done in a modestly sized mid-2000s 5 door hatchback (can't reveal the car before the collection thread).

If anybody does need anything not too ridiculously large moved along that route, let me know. Said car is sans parcel shelf at the moment, and it will be parked overnight in a Travelodge car park in central Preston, so security is a bit eeeeeeeh.

2 hours ago, 3VOM said:

A good friend of mine explained in one sentence why council workers and similar maintainers of open spaces always wear visors: "Nothing beats the taste of freshly strimmed dog shit."

It is with great sorrow and massive regret that I can say with authority that cat shit is quite a bit worse. 

the ex @Cookiesouwest vectra continues to surpass its vauxhall status. MOT pass today with  minor advisories for slightly perished Chinese ditch finders on the rear, small split in one wiper blade, rear brake pads about 75% used and some very slight play in a lower anti roll  bar linkage. Nothing structural so happy days.

50 minutes ago, cobblers said:

What job did you apply for? On the bikes?

It was a sales advisor job, it didn't specify but it did transpire to be a position on the bikes, and I think they were looking for someone primarily to sell and assemble bikes. 

No pics but that's yer Volvo 850 diesel's timing belts changed, it was a bit of a pain in some ways - the crank sprocket came away with the crank pulley when it was not at TDC but it started first time once we got it retimed and all done up, albeit with the fuel pump timing seriously retarded, it was smoking out the neighbourhood. It's closer now and running well. I also changed the hydraulic valve lifters and rebuilt the brake vacuum pump recently so it's about as un-tappy as one of these can be. Fuel pump timing still needs adjustment but really chuffed it's done. Thanks to @Split_Pin and @juular for their assistance.

I put the Granada in for it's MOT yesterday and it failed on floppy mirrors (yes that's a thing), 1 head lamp bulb and bolt I forgot to tighten back up on the power steering pump when I was pissing around with the valve adjustments.

It also had an advisory on a gearbox mount, which it definetely needs but could be challenging to find and an inner track rod end.  Not bad really.

I dealt with the failures last night (by wedging screwed up bin bags behind the mirrors) so hopefully it should be mot'd today. Looking at the mot history it's done 3500 miles in the last 15 years!

I'm probably going to do a few things then sell it TBH as I never use it. I'm also thinking of giving up my lockup as it's quite a lot of money every month for damp storage.

Came across a pop-up stand for Genesis on my walk in the city today. Not sure if Genesis has been introduced to the UK market, but it appears to be Hyundai's up-market sub-brand. Nothing spectacular, but interesting regardless.

IMG_6199.thumb.JPG.e2d70323d18df0f4e3b44e9b67e4a06b.JPG

IMG_6200.thumb.JPG.03b209e4f9db9f8d549ea80d59a6ccba.JPG

IMG_6201.thumb.JPG.b7ac8013b00f02ed93a97d896991aa63.JPG

IMG_6202.thumb.JPG.eb3dbec8238fb31ede6c41aa62419f58.JPG

If I have had to choose one out of the lineup on display, I'd go for a G70.

28 minutes ago, Austat said:

Came across a pop-up stand for Genesis on my walk in the city today. Not sure if Genesis has been introduced to the UK market, but it appears to be Hyundai's up-market sub-brand. Nothing spectacular, but interesting regardless.

IMG_6199.thumb.JPG.e2d70323d18df0f4e3b44e9b67e4a06b.JPG

IMG_6200.thumb.JPG.03b209e4f9db9f8d549ea80d59a6ccba.JPG

IMG_6201.thumb.JPG.b7ac8013b00f02ed93a97d896991aa63.JPG

IMG_6202.thumb.JPG.eb3dbec8238fb31ede6c41aa62419f58.JPG

If I have had to choose one out of the lineup on display, I'd go for a G70.

Only ever seen one Genesis here in that London. 

For me, Genesis will always be the brand that Tiger Woods had a bit of a crash in. 

On 6/14/2021 at 11:25 PM, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

Used Nissan Micra 1.3 litre for Sale - RAC Cars

Google image for reference, but i think so, will have a word with them tomorrow,  I believe from the number plate shape it would be a JDM import. 

There is an even better/worse version of these that has the Mitsuoka mock Jaguar front added

d2c8dc58e9310e96557caac802809863.jpg