The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

13 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

edit: ordered a Varta off eBay. 44 quid delivered next day? That'll do. 

063 is one of the cheapest sizes going. 

At least it was a simple and easy fix!

Might be worth checking you don't have any large parasitic drains. Whether radio, immobiliser or even the alternator. 

The fact that it's at 2v suggests that it's not a single cell failure in the pack. I'd expect ~9v or even open circuit if that was the case. 

To follow on from Ghosty's battery woes, how do I tell what size of battery I need for my C2? I tried looking up the numbers on it but it just brought up that specific Halfords battery rather than the general type.

26 minutes ago, reb said:

To follow on from Ghosty's battery woes, how do I tell what size of battery I need for my C2? I tried looking up the numbers on it but it just brought up that specific Halfords battery rather than the general type.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/

These guys are brilliant, cheap, next day delivery, and a good search function and options too.

48 minutes ago, Ghosty said:

Back home. The battery (Lion, go figure) had completely drained to 2V and wouldn't charge, so jumped of the cheerful Brummie AA man's booster pack while chatting about the car, then drove home on the alternator. 
All my spare batteries are too big - it's an 063 and the battery tray is the exact size of the footprint, tucked in next to the airbox so no additional clearance. I'll order an Exide or Yuasa from somewhere. 

Good job it was something simple. Lion batteries are just not worth it. 

24 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Next door. I guess if you know what you like, why change, but a bit of colour would be nice. 

IMG_20210608_130354.thumb.jpg.a40acd9fec94f577d8a1a5a8f475d86e.jpg

The one in the road isn't theirs but visits sporadically. His brother lives over the road and has a white 1 series. 

White is probably the best colour for keeping off the sun.

What I can't understand is why black is absurdly popular when it absorbs heat and turning a car into an oven.

Just now, Ghosty said:

That's the second recommendation I've had for Tayna, I bought one from them on eBay and it's already been sent. 

I've bought several batteries from them over the years and always been impressed by the service and prices. The onl;y time I didn't was when I needed a new battery RIGHT NAO after it died just before I was due to go away with the family for a holiday in Quornwall and the old one gave up. I got a Lion one then and it was fine for several more years actually.

8 minutes ago, Stanky said:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/car-batteries/

These guys are brilliant, cheap, next day delivery, and a good search function and options too.

Excellent, it'll be cheaper than I expected to just get a new battery for it versus getting one from a scrapyard.

I could even get one for £25, but I think that would be doing it's next owner a disservice.

I've never had a problem with Lion batteries either. It's possible to cheap out on the production of a battery, but given they have a warranty on them, ECP would have to factor that cost into their calculations too. I suspect they don't try to cheapen it that far and relying on the lack of middleman + their own supply chain to keep the prices low. 

There isn't anything revolutionary about car batteries either, especially flooded wet cells. Mostly the cost of materials and assembly makes up their value. 

9 hours ago, Amishtat said:

Same here. Freshly waxed and taxed, a boring supermarket trip was its first journey of more than three miles for about a year. Odometer, speedo and fuel gauge all part timers, I'm guessing at around  25ish mpg. Also encountered this lovely chap at the petrol station, who couldn't entirely grasp why I wanted to photograph his car, but was happy to let me. 

IMG-20210607-WA0001.jpeg

IMG_20210607_161749.jpg

My odometer, speed and fuel are dead. I got occasional flickers earlier in the year but I'm going to need new units from a dealer, if not from fleabay. TADTS, apparently. 

I have been told how to check the fuel sender but its very likely the guage. 

On some cars the pcb on the cluster can be at fault but apparently not on mine, mine has the early Bosch pcb that's later than the Japanese one.

Yes I was very confused for a long time about all this.

Car goes, I'm happy. Its all on a list of stuff to do, as is headlining and the wonky sunroof 

Popped down to the family house today. As I was turning in to the street, a police car passed me. 

As i got out of my car, a neighbour shouted to me that he had just been fined €200 as he had washed his car in the street. It is illegal here and the fine can be up to an eye watering €3,000

I wonder how the police knew?

20210608_201735.thumb.jpg.04ffafa965b9d950e846ef5e90330f49.jpg

32 minutes ago, Jerzy Woking said:

Popped down to the family house today. As I was turning in to the street, a police car passed me. 

As i got out of my car, a neighbour shouted to me that he had just been fined €200 as he had washed his car in the street. It is illegal here and the fine can be up to an eye watering €3,000

I wonder how the police knew?

20210608_201735.thumb.jpg.04ffafa965b9d950e846ef5e90330f49.jpg

Crumbs! Why is it illegal? Excessive water use or something else?

I was raking around in the garage at me mam’s house and found an old Halon fire extinguisher - so I brought it home and hung it up in my own garage (still shows pressure but I doubt I would rely on it, it’s probably illegal to use one these days anyway)

EA2432F4-4A71-4E76-AF9C-83940366E19A.thumb.jpeg.b9797e9ba2b6710c58cb75be6a2a6f7a.jpeg

also found this tiny multi tool spanner thing

ED8869C3-2947-415E-BB13-5385D8FFA4EA.thumb.jpeg.042143f46d4d8f18058017e117cf0220.jpeg

Some kind of spark plug tool ? 

I’ve had a really confusing day courtesy of the dvla.

First thing I got an e mail About a direct debit of a car I’d sold a while ago. I tried calling but there was an automated message saying basically they were on strike and nobody was going to answer the phone.

I went onto dvla web chat where an automated bot attempted to answer questions but didn’t really understand why I was making contact. It kept asking for clarification of my clarification and ended up in a never ending loop of misunderstanding.  Eventually I was put through to a waiting list for a person

4E8E7A3D-395B-4051-945C-00D06E7671D8.thumb.png.35de547cd5d858a3aaa5594422731489.png

After which I was informed no people were available.  Repeat x6. Anyway eventually it was sorted.

TL:DR DVLA on strike so avoid having to need to speak to a person.

10 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Crumbs! Why is it illegal? Excessive water use or something else?

There seems to be a few reasons, mainly due to stuff going down drains. 

Probably the reason why commercial car washes are everywhere, whether it's mechanical, hand wash or jet wash. They all filter and recycle the water they use. They are cheap too, and the jet wash I use runs for 5 minutes for €1, and is very good indeed.