The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

20 hours ago, Supernaut said:

What did you put the wheel bolts on with? A flippin' scaffold pole?! :P

Had a look at the fuel flap solenoid, declared it witchcraft, and attached a length of wire to pull it open instead.

I can't say I'm a fan of how it drives, but Brothernaut was peddling it along the back roads at substantial speeds like a natural today. Impressive.

Well hope @Supernaut your Brother enjoys it, as much as my Grandad did in his ownership.

He still asks me about it on his good days, so would be nice to see/ hear any future updates etc. 

I can confirm it does shift well, when required too. 

39 minutes ago, Burnside said:

Well hope @Supernaut your Brother enjoys it, as much as my Grandad did in his ownership.

He still asks me about it on his good days, so would be nice to see/ hear any future updates etc. 

I can confirm it does shift well, when required too. 

Aye, it's definitely not a 90. Feels like at least a 110.

Within 24 hours of buying, it had a boot full of potted plants.

11 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Aye, it's definitely not a 90. Feels like at least a 110.

Within 24 hours of buying, it had a boot full of potted plants.

It's a 110 I'm sure. It used to have the red on the TDI badge, but it faded off as the rear always faced the sun on his driveway. 

One of the reasons my Grandad brought it, was because of the generous boot space. As he was always doing some kind of DIY etc at home.

He brought this off a family member. Who had previously had this at about 2/3 year old, as his reps company car in Aston, Birmingham. For there engineer business.

Although they sacked him as he was skiving off in the Passat down Cornwall etc, when he should have bee working! 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Went to an MX5 meet, number plate fell off... had to improvise using one zip tie and string from a disposable mask... 

57FEAF66-7E7F-44F3-B413-7D556E9EBD7D.jpeg

You know that boot rack is on arse about face, don't you ?  

Walked round garage behind work yesterday to ask about if they be able to quote for drilling out studs and nut/bolt the flange with new gasket, they said come round in week and put up on the ramps, but being a tight fisted bugger should I just do it my self..

Swapped my toys about. Clio needs an MOT this month, so taxed. Gone up to £330 a year ffs.
a85a0ee704773b4ccc6d738513866e84.jpg

I know all my cars are only cheap vehicles and the combined value of all is less than a brand new base spec Golf/1-series/Focus/etc, but I do right now feel very lucky to own and run several cars that I really like.

The BX continues to baffle me. After FTP at the Shiteisteddfod I discovered the dizzy cap and rotor were both very worn. I tracked down NOS replacements and today was the first day I had a chance to fit them.

I'd carefully marked everything up to ensure I put the HT leads on in the correct order but when I went to start it it produced the same symptoms as before - span over fine but refused to start. I checked and there was fuel getting to the carb and I knew all the electrical connections were good as I'd gone through them all with contact cleaner.

IMG_20210606_214213.thumb.jpg.f77ced4fb777370268f5901579835dc3.jpg

It didn't make any sense to me that a car I'd managed to get running with a worn dizzy and rotor two weeks ago now wouldn't start with new parts. I'd wanted to move the car so I could strim around it so decided to do the rest of the garden and come back to it. So half an hour later I tried again and still no dice.

Thinking that perhaps there was something wrong with the new parts I put the old ones back on but still it wouldn't start even after checking and re-checking everything. At this point my lunch guests turned up so I left it for a few hours.

When I came back to it it started on the first attempt which is good but I've no idea why! I moved it and left it running while I did the strimming. Parked it up again and swapped out the old dizzy cap and rotor for the new ones and it started and ran fine!

Completely baffled as to what's going on but glad it's running again.

Had a car shuffle today as I wanted to move the camper van by the house to do some interior bits on it. This meant moving much of the fleet on to the road... 

184AB7C9-98F6-44F9-9DBB-38A162E2BCDD.jpegD09C3EBA-37C6-4F6D-8B15-56BB1720B8CB.jpeg

Nice little line up. (#not my twingo) All was going well (despite a mystery flat battery on the 9000 despite only having been sat a short time) until I tried to move this... 

8511EA65-9AD8-4B86-9EE0-332963DD24D0.jpeg

It started first time off the jump pack, but the shouts of “stop stop there’s smoke” from Mrs brownnova were not expected.

I’d repaired the power steering leak with some putty, however it turns out that the pipe was clearly knackered and by putting putty in one place  all I had done was move the problem further up the pipe and now it was spraying on to the exhaust!

This means a new PAS cooling pipe is necessary. And that is one job I don’t want to do or get done as I don’t want to spend more on it. So it’ll be for sale as is, needing repairs for not that much as I just want it gone now.

Better news on the camper front, even after several months stood the battery was still fine and on the third attempt the van leapt into life. The brakes being stuck on was my worry, but a good bout of revs freed them off easily.

Time to go over it and get back camping! 

1 hour ago, Sunny Jim said:

The BX continues to baffle me. After FTP at the Shiteisteddfod I discovered the dizzy cap and rotor were both very worn. I tracked down NOS replacements and today was the first day I had a chance to fit them.

I'd carefully marked everything up to ensure I put the HT leads on in the correct order but when I went to start it it produced the same symptoms as before - span over fine but refused to start. I checked and there was fuel getting to the carb and I knew all the electrical connections were good as I'd gone through them all with contact cleaner.

IMG_20210606_214213.thumb.jpg.f77ced4fb777370268f5901579835dc3.jpg

It didn't make any sense to me that a car I'd managed to get running with a worn dizzy and rotor two weeks ago now wouldn't start with new parts. I'd wanted to move the car so I could strim around it so decided to do the rest of the garden and come back to it. So half an hour later I tried again and still no dice.

Thinking that perhaps there was something wrong with the new parts I put the old ones back on but still it wouldn't start even after checking and re-checking everything. At this point my lunch guests turned up so I left it for a few hours.

When I came back to it it started on the first attempt which is good but I've no idea why! I moved it and left it running while I did the strimming. Parked it up again and swapped out the old dizzy cap and rotor for the new ones and it started and ran fine!

Completely baffled as to what's going on but glad it's running again.

How old is the ignition module on the distributor? They like to fail and make hell break loose.

Been running around in the Trafic this weekend.  I tipped in the two gallons of out-of-date veg oil that @Stanky gave me, plus 3 litres that I had at the back of a cupboard.  It seems perfectly happy running on the stuff, and it smells like frying.  I need to make a start on doing the bits it needs for an MOT though as it runs out soon.  I've tipped in a bottle of Lucas power steering shiz to see if that stops the leak, but it's also going to need weldage and some attention to the electrics.

I've also done a fair few miles in the Felicia.  So far it is still running fine and hasn't emptied its coolant, although I'm not venturing too far from home until I'm 100% sure it's OK.

Got the brake master cylinder off the Innocenti - that actually turned out to be a surprisingly easy job.  The less good news is that it's not the same as a Mini one - it's made by Bendix Italy so it's Innocenti specific - and I'm not sure whether a Mini cylinder would be a straight fit, although it should do in theory as the calipers are standard Mini as is (according to Wobbler) the pedal box.  I'm not sure if it is the seals that have gone though - the pushrod is very loose so I'm wondering whether it might have come apart inside.  I know there's some movement as there's a ball joint in the linkage, but it's not just pivoting around the ball joint, it's actually moving from side to side.  So I need to work out how to get the thing to bits to check what's going on in there.  It'd be useful not to have to fork out for a new master cylinder...

Had another crack at the rear brakes on the Carina this evening.  Both drums were a pain in the arse to get off, but I'm not sure why as the shoes weren't binding and there wasn't a visible lip.  The adjusters didn't seem to be in particularly great shape - the little spring loaded wedge thing that locks the toothed wheel in place wasn't springing very well.  I manually wound the nearside adjuster out a few notches, and that was enough to make the drum bind very slightly once it was refitted.  I wound the offside adjuster out by the same amount, and the drum went straight back on just with my fingertips, which was odd given how awkward it'd been to get off.  So I pulled it off again and wound the adjuster out quite a lot more.  Once everything was back in place it was still spinning freely so it was obviously well out of adjustment.  The pedal does feel better now but it's still not quite where I'd like it to be, so next time I get some free time when the weather's decent I'll have that drum off again and see if I can get it a bit better.  It's now nearly at the front of the MOT queue,  behind the Mondeo, so I want to get it sorted reasonably soon.

14 hours ago, brownnova said:

You’ve told me before... I did nothing about it that time either 😂😂

Saturday had me start to recomission our mk1 mx5 by putting a new battery and a new positive terminal on the battery, (As the old  one had snapped.) 

When I'd finished it started first time.  

Pumped the tyres up, and then fitted the boot rack correctly. 

Now do I chance an MOT with holes in the front wings and duct tape hidding them or swap them for the silver ones I bought second hand about 7 years ago.  I probably could rattle can them first. 

20210607_062224.jpg

20210607_062241.jpg

12 hours ago, SiC said:

Swapped my toys about. Clio needs an MOT this month, so taxed. Gone up to £330 a year ffs.
a85a0ee704773b4ccc6d738513866e84.jpg

I know all my cars are only cheap vehicles and the combined value of all is less than a brand new base spec Golf/1-series/Focus/etc, but I do right now feel very lucky to own and run several cars that I really like.

Lol my Fleet is less than one ten year old  low spec Golf/Focus/appliance with wheels in some cases 🤣

Better that way round, I think. I'm not sure I'd enjoy sinking large amounts of money into a modern that may still shit itself.

This morning I have entered the Scirocco into the show n shine at the upcoming Camper Jam fest. I know the concours judge & the other judge so I'm hoping that a teeny bit of very light hearted, meat pie based bribery will go an awfully long way towards coming home with best in show.

IMG_4405.thumb.JPG.2a9a8e712801698314422a092f6a4d2a.JPG

...or possibly not.