The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Oh, I've also discovered why the engine is so oily and why I needed to top it up a couple of days ago.The rocker cover gasket has essentially split apart at both forward facing corners and are very wet with oil, which is why I was seeing golden drips on the bottom of the accumulator and gearbox bell housing. While I'm changing that I might as well adjust valve clearances as it sounds rather tappety.

While the timing belt is new, as is the waterpump by the looks of things, I'll probably opt to get them replaced at some point once I hit 110,000 miles. At that moment in time, I may as well fit the surfaced and cleaned cylinder head I have, complete with the valvetrain and camshaft.

Mine has just smoked all the way past Preston thanks to 1 hour journey taking 3 hours ... Engine did not like idling for hours , cleared up when up to speed .

Bung some 10/40 in next week to stop the smoke signals .......

49 minutes ago, cms206 said:

Holiday over. Home sweet home.

FB_IMG_1622828988750.jpg

Love the proton. Anyone called dibs on it yet? I used one same colour as that as a private hire car in Glasgow back in the day. Called it triggers brush as it had everything replaced by the end. Reckon it had well over 300k on it when it was replaced. Far better car than they got credit for

1 hour ago, chancer said:

Love the proton. Anyone called dibs on it yet? I used one same colour as that as a private hire car in Glasgow back in the day. Called it triggers brush as it had everything replaced by the end. Reckon it had well over 300k on it when it was replaced. Far better car than they got credit for

This hasn't hit 55k yet; TBH if I could keep the water out the sodding sunroof I'd use it more often! Could be doing with a couple of rear shockies but otherwise isn't too bad bar what I assume is an old accident repair getting grotty.

Turbodiesel so punchy and decent on fuel too

1 hour ago, cms206 said:

This hasn't hit 55k yet; TBH if I could keep the water out the sodding sunroof I'd use it more often! Could be doing with a couple of rear shockies but otherwise isn't too bad bar what I assume is an old accident repair getting grotty.

Turbodiesel so punchy and decent on fuel too

Didnt realise it was a TD! They were few and far between when new, cant be many left on the road now. Mine was a 1.6 petrol, think i paid 4.5k for it at 3 year old 😅. I didnt have the luxury of a sunroof

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

This fella has driven past my house several times in the space of an hour... not sure if he’s touting for business or looking to make a delivery! 

BCA373A8-BB76-4539-8BFF-16814212B68E.jpeg

There was a tasty but damaged looking Renault Koleos on there... 

Maybe he fancies you? Or yours...

12 hours ago, chancer said:

Didnt realise it was a TD! They were few and far between when new, cant be many left on the road now. Mine was a 1.6 petrol, think i paid 4.5k for it at 3 year old 😅. I didnt have the luxury of a sunroof

From what I've been able to find out, they sold less than 1300 diesels of all models in the UK - 479 TDi, 107  TDi GLS, 5 Trio TDi. 579 SDi and 93 Wira TDi. They all used the 4D68 or 4D68T Mitsubishi diesel, 68bhp in the SDi and 80bhp in the TDi.  I think road legal survivors are down to low single figures.

Your 1.6 would have been an XLi? Aircon instead of a sunroof? The TDi was more or less equivalent to the 1.8SEi but with a sunroof instead of aircon, no ABS and rear drums.

Threw some paint on the van as I got fed up sanding. I'll never make a bodywork man but at least it's one colour. Hopefully in a few weeks I can flat it back and polish it up. Considering it was a twenty quid spray gun and painted outside I'm pretty happy with my first attempt at painting a whole vehicle. 

IMG_20210605_154633723_HDR.thumb.jpg.50c12c4366570ad48df98d3cc4d4eb60.jpgIMG_20210605_154633723_HDR.thumb.jpg.50c12c4366570ad48df98d3cc4d4eb60.jpg

IMG_20210605_154642216_HDR.jpg

22 hours ago, cort1977 said:

Said goodbye to the ex- @Lacquer Peel passat today. Gone to a shiters brother though so may still see it around.

20210604_123239.jpg

What did you put the wheel bolts on with? A flippin' scaffold pole?! :P

Had a look at the fuel flap solenoid, declared it witchcraft, and attached a length of wire to pull it open instead.

I can't say I'm a fan of how it drives, but Brothernaut was peddling it along the back roads at substantial speeds like a natural today. Impressive.

I was told that unless you know who it coming from, don't buy second hand.

I bought a new one in April, Clarke Pro90.  Its probably not up to really intensive welding jobs but it was recommended to me by a trusted shiter for my occasional use. Ive got on OK with it so far under practise conditions.

8 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Started looking at used MIG welders on eBay. Some very good ones which are now rather affordable to me. I think I know what I'll be buying later this month.

Nobody sells a welder because it's working well

The "upgraded to a bigger machine " just means they bought the wrong 1 to start with