The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

21 hours ago, Yoss said:

I'm not going blind am I? There is no centre cap on this wheel is there? 

IMG_20210527_124932.thumb.jpg.b564e4953e4520c01282ae0dbf1ba3b5.jpg

It was a Peugeot (obviously) 208, I think. How do you balance it if there's no hole in the middle? Does anything else have wheels like this? 

Yes. My Peugeot 407:

20210405_110053.thumb.jpg.cd9154d8b111a1908c2d3801596f22f0.jpg

Some of the other alloys I've seen for the 407 do have a centre cap but some particular alloys don't. 

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Chips, anyone? 

DSC_1629.thumb.JPG.75637f4eee0598f5b15fa727d125447b.JPG

Funny, I was just changing the oil on my own Felicia today and the filler cap looks like this. 

IMG_20210530_104240.thumb.jpg.47eb5b6ec5b72a6e2a8acee8110b0822.jpg

But mine is the VW engine and it always looks like this, often worse and there is condensation steaming out of the exhaust for ages. I often watch Mrs Yoss reverse into the drive and think that really shouldn't be doing that. In winter it's obviously worse.

Trouble is most journeys are no more than five miles so it never clears. I've checked it after long journeys and it's always clean. I don't know why it produces so much condensation, is it just mine or is it a general VAG thing? I don't get it with the Favorit or Triumph.

I spent about two years worrying that the head gasket was going but I've had it 9 years now and it never gets any better or worse so I've stopped worrying. I still take it for a long run before the MOT though just to stop the steam coming out the exhaust. 

1 minute ago, Yoss said:

I don't know why it produces so much condensation, is it just mine or is it a general VAG thing?

It's typical of that generation of small VW OHC engines, and not helped by the poor design of the crankcase breather system.

You're absolutely right not to worry about it.

23 hours ago, Yoss said:

I'm not going blind am I? There is no centre cap on this wheel is there? 

How do you balance it if there's no hole in the middle? Does anything else have wheels like this? 

Balancing machines have adapters to fit these sort of wheels, Citroen, Renault 5-stud old Beetles etc.

As long as the adapter locates the wheel in the same way the car does there is no problem as long as the tyre-fitter can be bothered to find the correct adapter.

Scorchio.
PXL_20210529_152637756.thumb.jpg.bb4cca76b79d9f47ed6ade06b8b1c76f.jpg
A contractor's van went up in flames this morning and this is what's left. Props to the local (volunteer) fire service for putting it out this quickly.

*I forgot to add the doors were open and there was a puddle of melted tools and boxes. Father and I wonder if one of those tools' batteries went up.
Drove past this yesterday afternoon in Tunbridge Wells while out delivering and did wonder what happened.
Also drove past a few prime specimens of chod in Groombridge as well as a few steam/traction engines.

13 minutes ago, louiepj said:

Drove past this yesterday afternoon in Tunbridge Wells while out delivering and did wonder what happened.
Also drove past a few prime specimens of chod in Groombridge as well as a few steam/traction engines.

Ah, did you see the Sierra estate in the village? It's just down the road from me.

4 hours ago, DVee8 said:

Did you head back up the A1? The North bound traffic was something else,It must have been 15 miles of tailbacks from Newcastle up,I'm glad I wasn't stuck in it . As we where driving back south.

Wasn’t too bad thanks, though I was a bit later maybe, back of 8 I left GM

3 hours ago, Yoss said:

Funny, I was just changing the oil on my own Felicia today and the filler cap looks like this. 

IMG_20210530_104240.thumb.jpg.47eb5b6ec5b72a6e2a8acee8110b0822.jpg

But mine is the VW engine and it always looks like this, often worse and there is condensation steaming out of the exhaust for ages. I often watch Mrs Yoss reverse into the drive and think that really shouldn't be doing that. In winter it's obviously worse.

Trouble is most journeys are no more than five miles so it never clears. I've checked it after long journeys and it's always clean. I don't know why it produces so much condensation, is it just mine or is it a general VAG thing? I don't get it with the Favorit or Triumph.

I spent about two years worrying that the head gasket was going but I've had it 9 years now and it never gets any better or worse so I've stopped worrying. I still take it for a long run before the MOT though just to stop the steam coming out the exhaust. 

my clio does the same thing when its cold weather -checked it today and no gunk funnily enough

today we have been doing some routine maintenance on Rodney Mini,

when we had the cylinder head overhauled, we never retorqued the head studs after running the car abit, so with us taking the car down  to Gaydon for the mini and metro show, we thought that was as good an excuse as ever needed to get it done.

well armed with the torque wrench and the Leyland big book of words, i found that the studs were all at the specified torque, so the slight weep on the cylinder head maybe something that we have to live with.

then we set the valve gaps as there was a rattle from the valvetrain on it, well, ok, been an A-series there is always a rattle off of one of  them, but having set the valves we did find that some were definitely looser than others. i think it does sound quieter, so i'm pleased with that.

20210530_134725_resized.thumb.jpg.e59a21bf36737e415a4c88f939a124ec.jpg20210530_134731_resized.thumb.jpg.4a7e5a47d7105cd69c2c3c6a3db6ae0b.jpg20210530_134738_resized.thumb.jpg.bec492ef694c9722d4c3dc5dcc7441ff.jpg

and as an attempt to cure the intermittent function of the indicators, i have wrapped a sliver of tinfoil around the indicator tell-tale in the speedo clock, cause one thing i have found is that nine times outta ten that is where the fault is. well that does seem to have worked, as they have worked fine today. though to maintain the cars balance in odd, intermittent faults this afternoon i did see the temperature and fuel gauges dip away to nothing, and then a moment later they came back on!! now there is voltage stabiliser thing on the back of the clock binnacle that has had a loose connection in the past, so i'm going to have to see if that is where the fault is.

and i also found that the seal  on the Waso locking cap has perished. well actually Kerry did, cause Kerry was following me on one of the motorcycles and each time i went round a right hand bend then there was a visible leak of petrol outta the car! 

20210530_142115_resized.thumb.jpg.959532ea846177c0be26323e995e5d82.jpg

buggeration, now i was thinking that something like that was happening as i did smell the odd petrol smell in the car, so until i can get another petrol cap seal, i have had to put the original petrol cap back on.

20210530_142128_resized.thumb.jpg.fe9267ee66eb6340ca5f05c270981393.jpg

now we had planned to go to Ripley Castle car show tomorrow, it been a bank holiday, only to find out that now cos of the chinese bat flu, you have to book first, we are ones for just turning up on the day, depending on the weather. and of course Ripley Castle is already fully booked.

bugger. 

well we might just go anyway, as the more miles we do in Rodney Mini then the more confidence i have it it!

Re dyed the Audis roof today and then waterproofed it with some Fabisil.

Junior_Pin was on drinks duty because dad was a bit warm in the sun.

The old roof has a lot of tree sap stains from wherever it was sitting unused before it was brought back into use and it comes back after about 12 months.

Half and half to show the difference:

20210530_114417.thumb.jpg.b08d69036e029928dea1034ab67e8c22.jpg

Done and Fabisil applied.

20210530_125804.thumb.jpg.997b6efce33e2830a8a7d321edb523a3.jpg

20210530_125814.thumb.jpg.97d2b2f69e5191a89cb40db71193b8a3.jpg20210530_125822.thumb.jpg.9404a625a7782b063698e3cead55047d.jpg

I felt I should be driving it today due to the lovely weather but I really wanted to get the Cavalier out after Thursdays spin was cut short by the stuck throttle cable. The Fabisil instructions  said it should be left to dry so perfect excuse to use the Cavalier instead.

Went out for a nice drive, I only needed to get a pack of cable ties but I went the long way! Car drove fine too which was good.