The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

My evening involved... 

6E768FEA-A6A1-4B04-9BB0-6DD7B8368734.jpegB2921243-B271-40AA-A2BB-E7CAF2A9247D.jpeg

Moving my friend’s Zafira to his new house. It’s misfiring (looks likely to be an ECU fault) and has been off the road a while, so needed towing. So we borrowed an A-Frame and proceeded to tow it with his 4x4... but this is Wales so there were hills... which was erm... fun. 

18 minutes ago, Stanky said:

What does it need exactly? Would either a silicone hose elbow or a piece of rubber strap work? I assume the intake comes over the top and then goes through a 90 degree turn down the barrel of the carb? What is the diameter of the carb barrel and the diameter of the intake hose?

Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224464982346?hash=item344327d14a:g:N-cAAOSw3-BgdE1v

with a reducer from intake hose diameter to carb barrel diameter, plus a plain ali connector like:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222224898335?epid=1347460992&hash=item33bda2d91f:g:UDMAAOSwNphcD5xh

measure the stock intake hose, match the ali connector to that, then get a 90 degree reducing elbow to match the ali connector diameter to the carb barrel diameter.

It's this:

image.png.e5704491f77f77077afe68452738e896.png

It's basically a flat U shape which incorporates the crankcase vent and an intake manifold vent.
On the carburettor side, there's a rubber flange on the carb neck which butts up to the intake hose thing. A seal is made via bolting it to the carb with a 10mm bolt. On the air filter side, the U piece slides over and is held in place with friction. The weird thing is that I haven't found this type of U piece on other cars using the TU3 engine. This type of carburettor was also used on the AX whose intake has a rubber cone fitted to the U piece to provide a strong connection and seal. This A: makes air filter replacement wholly toolless and B: is just a better idea for longevity. Trouble is, I can't find a single one anywhere!

The new carburettor doesn't have the bolt leading to a small issue with securely fitting the air intake to it. As my current intake is warped and broken, I think I may be able to get away with modifying it. It shouldn't be all that hard to do.

Failing that, I'll measure the bonnet clearances and see if something like what you suggested works.

8 hours ago, brownnova said:

My evening involved... 

6E768FEA-A6A1-4B04-9BB0-6DD7B8368734.jpegB2921243-B271-40AA-A2BB-E7CAF2A9247D.jpeg

Moving my friend’s Zafira to his new house. It’s misfiring (looks likely to be an ECU fault) and has been off the road a while, so needed towing. So we borrowed an A-Frame and proceeded to tow it with his 4x4... but this is Wales so there were hills... which was erm... fun. 

These early Zafiras are starting to look very tasty indeed. I did try to find a nice one last year but they are cars that get the shit crayoned out of them by kids and happy meals. 

Really need to find one owned by a practical retired type who wanted the extra boot space for tip runs and garden centre visits. 

Get your mate signed up 😉 

20 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

These early Zafiras are starting to look very tasty indeed. I did try to find a nice one last year but they are cars that get the shit crayoned out of them by kids and happy meals. 

Really need to find one owned by a practical retired type who wanted the extra boot space for tip runs and garden centre visits. 

Have you driven one? Awful to sit in.

When my mum met my stepdad he had a v reg Zafira as his current company car. Had a couple more A's before a few B's and the A's were always more comfy, especially as he chose boggo spec cars bar his insistence on only owning red cars, so they were all flame red and velour (no sport shit) . 

Bar the back 2 seats, fuck those seats

1 hour ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I’ve been eying this one quietly as it has festered on the driveway... 1.8 petrol automatic though! Needs a few hundred quid spending but it’s in decent condition otherwise! 

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

I wasn’t needed for jury service yet again, so I’ve rented a BROWN* VAN

CECE9466-2AA2-479B-B23A-BB040993E02C.thumb.jpeg.22c3642680c426dafb60059a0217b948.jpeg

*may be another colour but I’m colourblind

Verdict. Uncomfortable, clutch and throttle are digital and the brakes are snatchy. Transits are better.

I've just been staring blankly out of my window (as I often do) and I believe I just saw you drive past!

10 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

There's a song about that:

...If I could see something...

(You could see anything you want, boy) 

...If I could see @dozeydustmandrive a brown van past my window...

No, the rhythm falls apart on that one I think...

Ironic you've mentioned Supertramp as this is the album I'm currently playing (quite loud):

544399929_Screenshot_20210518-1730472.thumb.jpg.62d71221826b1bb3fae43fa86c47c4ad.jpg

4 days in with the Civic, There's a lot to like.

I don't think i've ever seen a car more capable of carrying and hiding more crap.

With all the stuff i carry, the Vectra estate have pretty much all cabin storage full and a third of the boot.

The civic, most of my stuff fits under the boot floor with room to spare and all the inside quick to get to stuff fits easily under the armrest. Have a virtually empty proper boot, the door bins, the cupholders, the dash pocket and entire, huge glovebox sitting empty.

And that's not touching on the magic rear seats you can store stuff under or flip up to make a second boot.

Really impressively packaged.

Fkin puncture. 

At least my Passat B5 is old enough and shit enough to carry a full size spare.

Also, I made a point of torqing up the wheel bolts properly when I bought a torque wrench for my Volvo.

So a painless change was done, shame the spare has next to no tread. I may get part worn if I can for wheel and spare, depending on how much the remaining three have left. 

Anyway, spare had pressure in too  that's always a bonus.

All well that ends well, even if I have to get two new tyres rather than just one.

20210518_213828.jpg

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

New cars and coffee style event about 5 minutes up the road... 

083E0355-6282-445A-BAD8-9420C3260EA6.jpegB8052DE0-BB8B-4DBA-A5B0-AC022C0A7F1B.jpeg27AF9C64-72C2-4C09-83A1-467674854764.jpeg57448315-E424-4E20-A23E-313F384345BF.jpegF9803527-8D14-4F02-9BCB-62CC4DE86560.jpeg4CBAB525-AE69-44D1-9610-ED164D518D05.jpegD9C1393F-54FC-4524-AEA1-1A3099DAB55E.jpeg7FFA105B-0BAC-4E25-949C-EFA3C49FBF25.jpeg93937477-B039-4B8E-BD3D-0FB80E434D8D.jpegD6453A3E-5E6C-43DA-B631-85026DAB6122.jpeg5FF5C2F1-E765-4965-A1D6-0E1C2D4717C5.jpeg

It’s every week apparently... think I’ll be back! 

I even overtook another vehicle on the way home... series 1 Land Rover being overtaken by a 2CV! 

Where???? I wanna come! Unless I'm taking kids to sports event, which all of a sudden after lockdown seems to be every day. 

I saw a bright coloured Open Manta the other day, I think it was orange. 

But then, on my road, I see everything drive past. I'm on car tourist road No.2, second only to Burford main road I think.

6 hours ago, Tim_E said:

Where???? I wanna come! Unless I'm taking kids to sports event, which all of a sudden after lockdown seems to be every day. 

I saw a bright coloured Open Manta the other day, I think it was orange. 

But then, on my road, I see everything drive past. I'm on car tourist road No.2, second only to Burford main road I think.

It’s a place a called Mavericks Wales in Llanerch-y-Môr (Between Holywell and Prestatyn) https://motorcyclemavericks.co.uk and they hosting weekly car nights at their venue. This was the first post lockdown. I think it will grow and grow. 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

It’s a place a called Mavericks Wales in Llanerch-y-Môr (Between Holywell and Prestatyn) https://motorcyclemavericks.co.uk and they hosting weekly car nights at their venue. This was the first post lockdown. I think it will grow and grow. 

Nice, yes hopefully, and maybe I'll make it along.