The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

That's also a new second hand door card in the rear.

Doesn't quite fit at the C pillar end, I wonder if its from a saloon or the pre-facelift car.

I noticed that not only is the rear ns main speaker blown but the driver's door main speaker is dead.

Ordered two new from flyaway, not oem but from JVC so some bodgery will be required to fit them.

I'm amazed the sound is so good with on dead and one rattly though, two more mediocre speakers can only improve the situation!

20210516_154757.jpg

Just bought new front brake hoses for the Cav, £27 for the pair from ECP, hopefully they'll be right.

Once they arrive I'll suss out what bracket type I need and the clips. 

I also bought a brake line spanner from Halfords today.

The hoses should never have.passed an MOT, the crimped ends are rotten.

4 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Miss SL's Yaris collected yesterday without any great incident:

2004 Toyota Yaris 1.0 Blue

There is something of a theme to this half of the driveway. The LS400 is hiding in the corner.

Not perfect, it has a few dinks and scrapes and I'm sure mechanically we'll find a few things, but so far it seems to drive nicely. I'd like to get a matching set of tyres on it before too long and the washer pump is dead. Had to stop at Halfords on the way back as the wiper blades were pretty dire.

Tag on the rear plate for the local dealer who sold it new - by coincidence about that time I did some work for them, doing drawings for the 'retail concept' refurbishment of their showroom.

Had the excitement of a couple of runs out with her in it.

Mrs SL seems to approve too, it's quite similar in feel to her Auris, so should be handy as a back-up car and more so than my '88 Sunny or the Camry which have served that purpose until now.

A shame they ditched the central speedo on later models. MPG is now up to 48-odd.

As you know I have one of these destined eventually for the ovals. Could be next year, could be August, depends how the wind blows.

If you need any interior bits, lights etc along the way let me know. I can't take them off for a while. but when it happens they will be very very cheap.

There's 2 brand new tyres and 2 good ones on it that we will never use.

Where abouts are you?  Big place Norfolk.

I don’t know why I bought it yet but I saw this lovely 90s Kenwood stereo which had never been out of the box on Facebook for £10 and knew I needed it.

I don’t have a car to put it in but if I need to go retro then I think it would look great in my E36 if I decided to get rid  of the iPod/Phone and decided to go back to my CDs.

8212774D-0D2D-49FD-AAEF-324212E96F8A.jpeg

On 5/15/2021 at 6:43 AM, HMC said:

Camper conversion that never happened? Seems he was a bit of a shiter.

no he drove it everwhere, until the fairs campsite officials said it was too big, it had everything and place to store his steam engines safely inside.

It’s been an eventful weekend, springs arrived for the daily A4 Avant and are fairly easy to install. I also fitted new upper shock mounts and damper stops / dust shield. Injectors have now been removed for test / repair to cure a misfire when cold. 
Front end of the Polo TDi refitted but DTC P0088 keeps appearing, which I believe is an ECU software issue - I just need to find a decent tuner to install a new map (recommendations welcomed). 
The MG TF reverse lights were intermittent so a new switch was ordered. Fitted it today and after the fourth time of engaging reverse the reverse lamps remained illuminated, FFS the new Lucas switch is defective. Love their slogan on the box. 

4358867A-5B5B-4CEA-BF93-B4751C4A0AE7.thumb.jpeg.3b2b20d7fe99207e9b8fd6286b121c94.jpeg

The day finished on a sour note by finding out that storage / workspace is going to be lost. 

And that's another ~260 mile round trip to home and back to college done. The journey back today was incredibly relaxing. Getting high 30s for MPG which isn't bad considering it's got a poorly carburettor. I even got an enthusiatic thumbs up from an Audi and a nod of approval from a modded Toyota Silvia.

Starter motor is still lazy when the engine is hot. This only happens on long journeys and hot days by the looks of things, which helps. Access to the thing requires removal of the intake manifold which I don't really want to do, so here's hoping it behaves itself for a little while longer.

2 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Looks tidy, still curtains for it?

The trouble is it has a cracked screen and dented roof,the gearbox/diff has always knocked when turning left,all the tyres are now perished,the brakes etc will need refreshing,fuel pump has failed and there is rust and a couple of holes where water has sat between the doors and the door sills so it's really only good as a spares car.

A "we buy any old tat" company has offered to come and give us £132 for it.

IMG_20210516_202950.jpg

To get Harris the Yaris through the NCT, I need to patch this hole and replace the brake pipe also visible in the shot. I decided to get the wheel loose for a bit more access and sure enough, it was seized onto the hub. I started by kicking it on alternating sides but there was no movement whatsoever, at which point I moved up to a hammer, then a hammer and a pry bar, curbing the wheel six times with the wheel nuts threaded halfway on before finally attempting to use a spring compressor as an improvised puller; at this point, it started to rain, so I'll pick it back up tomorrow evening after I acquire a bigger hammer. I'm also wondering how I'll fish that brake pipe past the top of the fuel tank.

5 hours ago, EightMegs said:

To get Harris the Yaris through the NCT, I need to patch this hole and replace the brake pipe also visible in the shot. I decided to get the wheel loose for a bit more access and sure enough, it was seized onto the hub. I started by kicking it on alternating sides but there was no movement whatsoever, at which point I moved up to a hammer, then a hammer and a pry bar, curbing the wheel six times with the wheel nuts threaded halfway on before finally attempting to use a spring compressor as an improvised puller; at this point, it started to rain, so I'll pick it back up tomorrow evening after I acquire a bigger hammer. I'm also wondering how I'll fish that brake pipe past the top of the fuel tank.

Slacken wheelnuts, drive over potholes/kerbs until loose; tea and medals.

The wonderful little micra I bought from @Cavcraft earlier this year has just passed her MOT. The only structural advise was very minor bit of rust on the offside sill, booked it to be sorted next month. Unfortunately was also advised the original dealer plates are a bit deteriorated so I may have to buy some special MOT only ones for next year. Very pleased with the car, it sips fuel and for such a small thing is really comfy and quiet to drive around. 

IMG_20210517_113154.jpg

Nearly 2 weeks later, the mg6 is finally roadworthy again! Ended up paying a mobile mechanic to come and do the job, £60 well spent in my books.

Its also sporting a nifty new Black Lion brand ditchfinder as the tyre on that side was utterly wrecked thanks to the spring taking bloody great lumps out of it... So shit Chinese tyre, for shite Chinese car. 

IMG-20210517-WA0005.thumb.jpeg.95dd8f493a16e8612836c9a0071ede1a.jpeg

I've done car things today! Not with my own car, don't be silly, that's not seen life for over a month... 

1.6 2004 golf, belongs to a neighbor and the smoll cooling fan was permanently running, and flattened the battery. We gave it a jump and after 0.004 seconds of googling worked out its probably the resistor pack and we pulled the 30a fuse which solved it. The big fan kicks in too as that's a different circuit so we called that fixed*

His work astra van with the ever so reliable 6 speed manual has shat 4th gear too, conveniently  after he had it rebuilt to repair the 6th gear eating itself issues... 

Was a nicer 35 minutes than working anyway! 

Big shout out to @Burnside for sending me an intact plastic scuttle panel for the Cavalier. These are incredibly  brittle and break easily. The old one had split along its entire width and was almost certainly letting in water.

A replacement wiper linkage also arrived today also. The old one had a large amount of play in the nearside spindle, allowing the bottom part of the wiper arm to spring up and the bonnet clouted every time it was lifted.  All nice and tight now, new washer pump has power although water tightness still to be tested.

20210517_174124.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114192913894?epid=1162420221&hash=item1a966d95e6:g:ZPsAAOSwo4pYdGh8

Finally found a carburettor that'll fit my car. Basically an exact clone of what's currently on it but it's in stock in the UK and is affordable. I might just buy it now. I bought it.

...On closer inspection the new carburettor doesn't have the securing bolt location for the air intake hose so I'm faced with either modifying the one on the car (which is already broken) or swapping the new carburettor's choke and lid with the old one. Modifying the hose is at least easy to do because it's plastic. I don't really want to fanny around with changing the float bowl needle, float and whatnot, so modifying the intake it is.

All* I need to do is make a cone piece to create a friction fit/seal with the neck of the carb. This'll certainly be better than what's currently in place as the intake hose is warped and is letting unfiltered air straight in on one side.