The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, SiC said:

I was hoping I hadn't missed the boat. The boat appears not to have sailed away yet, just got a whole lot rustier!

Thankfully panels are readily available. Panels that I could only dream of for my Dolomite. I mean you can get whole frickin' bulkheads for not a lot!

image.jpg.40055391fd846d60edb79ce9380f55b1.jpg

http://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/CZH3216.aspx

Hence it makes sense (somehow!) to buy one that is rather rotten and then weld it up. At least I know its been done all properly then. Unfortunately cheap panels also mean that project cars still go for a fair old bit too. :(

If I do, maybe I'll save my pennies and go all out by getting a mk1. restoring cars takes a lot of time and energy so it makes sense to buy one that is the extra special one to do up. Even though my Dolomite has been a big project, I'm glad I got a grotty Sprint than a mint 1300/1500 which my budget would have got at the time - even if its not necessarily in the AutoShite way!

I have to agree with the "has to be worth while" part, my Allegro is never going to be show winning, the panels are expensive and rare and value of the car is quite low, I've got to sort the suspension out so that will cost me quite a bit so I might break even in the end, I'm enjoying the experience of putting it back together with solid metal

after the success of paying someone to come and put new hydragas displacers on the metro,  

today it was the turn of the mini 1000 to be subjected to some spanner waggling.

see that car has of late been running like a bag o' shite, it would tick over, but as soon as any throttle was applied it would splutter, and die, or try to die, only for the car to pick up and then a few minutes later it'd want to splutter to a halt again.

kerry thought it was fuel that was the issue, but first off we did check the ignition side over.

having tried both a known good coil, and plug leads and even a different rotor arm, all with no improvement, today kerry decided to look in the carb at the jet and needle. we had previously looked at the float and the checked it was working, after first cleaning it up. 

so today while i continued with painting and buggering about with the front guttering at home, kerry took the carb off,

20210512_135317.thumb.jpg.c264986f1514de7ff1687ad94dcd4e14.jpg20210512_142517.thumb.jpg.8fd3f6b3df8f6cbac830aa2d599a7afd.jpg

and took it apart. and yep, it was full of gunk.....

20210512_135342.thumb.jpg.f901e3d5980250d1c848076973a27bc1.jpg20210512_135555.thumb.jpg.3e20bb265dc9f3abcf5d4d6f67513f35.jpg

anyhoo, once cleaned up, put back together and put back on the car, the running issue has gone, well on the short run about the village it certainly seems to have gone anyway!

tomorrow will be the acid test however, as kerry is going to bring the car up home for the first time this year.

i cannot wait.

House buying is not an experience I would call stress free. 

There's issues with the title of the property we'd like to buy, our solicitor seems to think it's messy, perhaps due to the vendors previous solicitor who did a presumed remortgage and now there's a different charge on both titles.  There's a Leasehold and a Freehold which is in both the vendors name which isn't unusual, it seems to be there to facilitate an easement access route that's existed for the past century. And the vendors current solicitor doesn't seem to be any use either. We keep getting wrong paperwork off them. 

Fucks sake. I feel like pulling my hair out, it's bad enough with work, my tenancy lease being terminated and now all this. 

9 hours ago, MJK 24 said:

I thought I may have spotted @worldofceri this morning approx 10am give or take on the M6(N) in the roadworks around Stafford.  I was heading south on my way to Alconbury.

My suspicions were confirmed approx 7pm this evening when I was heading north back home around Sandbach services when @worldofceriwas spotted heading south with what looked like an Ice Cream booth on the back of his trailer!

I am guessing a nightmare was had around the Jct19/20 south closure?

🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Yes, that was I.

Had a fuggin’ nightmare yesterday frankly.   One of those days where you really wish you’d stayed in bed! Took best part of two hours to get this on and strapped down. And today I’ve got to somehow get it off again...

D7DCDC7D-D9F6-4DA7-8C43-9B699F034DB4.thumb.jpeg.67dec37259fdc7c989e120650a6a7ffc.jpeg

32 minutes ago, worldofceri said:

Yes, that was I.

Had a fuggin’ nightmare yesterday frankly.   One of those days where you really wish you’d stayed in bed! 

Jeepers Ceri. Started to read this and though you were talking about the EOS. Scrolled down and saw it was your later pick up.

Day started badly with brakes stuck on, and seemed to end even worse.

53 minutes ago, worldofceri said:

Yes, that was I.

Had a fuggin’ nightmare yesterday frankly.   One of those days where you really wish you’d stayed in bed! Took best part of two hours to get this on and strapped down. And today I’ve got to somehow get it off again...

D7DCDC7D-D9F6-4DA7-8C43-9B699F034DB4.thumb.jpeg.67dec37259fdc7c989e120650a6a7ffc.jpeg

Unstrap it from trailer. 

Chain it to a tree. 

Drive away. 

You're welcome. (Saw a Scirocco unloaded thus at a scrapyard once) 

2 hours ago, worldofceri said:

Yes, that was I.

Had a fuggin’ nightmare yesterday frankly.   One of those days where you really wish you’d stayed in bed! 

Did you also go near the M56, M6 or Northwhich where crashes closed the roads (according to the Travel bulletins on BBC radio Miseryside and Mankcrapster) 

@gadgetgricey I must admit the brief panic over the Eos brakes didn’t help my frame of mind, but really it was barely an issue!

@New POD Yeah, the road closure cost me about two hours. I was just passing Charnock Richard when they shut the M6 at J20a.

@Amishtat It’s a tilt bed trailer, so it will be something like that... Tip it up and wherever it lands, hope it’s still on it’s wheels.

@Talbot It’s got no brakes at all, no working lights and the hitch isn’t properly attached. And I wouldn’t get involved in towing it myself anyway as my insurance doesn’t cover it. This is the safest and legal way to move it even if it is a pita.  

The old 1999 Ford focus developed some drivetrain shunt yesterday while out doing a few errands. 

A quick check around the wheels,suspension revealed nothing out of the ordinary, but on lifting the bonnet the engine looked at a slight angle. 

Gave it a rock,and sure enough it was moving freely.

The bolt on the bottom gearbox mount had sheared and fallen out!!

20210513_113105.thumb.jpg.422264437f7f51d8ba9528fdde070ff4.jpg

A gentle drive home was in order,fortunately it was only 10 miles or so.

Today I put it up on the ramps.

20210513_113722.thumb.jpg.f28dc2350bc41d6a579130c6aeaa79fc.jpg

The bracket with the broken bolt is removable. 

20210513_114043.thumb.jpg.09f348fb06b8d974493a07fd2b487b21.jpg

Tried welding a nut onto it,but it didn't work,so had to drill the broken bit out.

20210513_122609.thumb.jpg.18c21aea0b60935d0fa906885bda35f2.jpg

Found a suitable nut and bolt from my stash. 

20210513_122633.thumb.jpg.f681b379bf8a0151b1ef766d40b07439.jpg

And all back together again. 

20210513_123305.thumb.jpg.3e868ffc65abe560490529966b965222.jpg

Hopefully the old girl will trundle on for another few miles yet.

Ambled through [mention=18190]fatharris[/mention]'s BX thread and it turns out he was suffering from a random cut out thing similar to mine. Consequently I've added "change coil ignition module on the distributor" to the fix list.
I can't take credit for the diagnosis - there's a reason why@twosmoke300 is the man to look after my fleet when my fault diagnosis skills desert me

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, worldofceri said:

Yes, that was I.

That used to be by the canal near me, didn’t it?

6 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The closest match I can find is a Lancia Astura. I think this one has been rebodied into a limousine by a coachworks, but on an Astura chassis. 

Sorry, it was in the truck when I saw and took the photo, then had to do some work* and next time I looked up it was into the hanger. I think both were only off the truck to allow the new mclaren longtail to get off. They were both reloaded soon after along with a black two door bmw ( no uk plate on this, but looked like a pre war bmw in rhd).

13 hours ago, worldofceri said:

Yes, that was I.

Success:

BFFAF431-8C47-4231-9FF9-831EF74843B7.thumb.jpeg.a3e6c83a6502b46642f50cc5cfa13cf3.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The wheelbase is long enough to be an Astura. None of Lancia's other cars of the period are a match for what you saw.

The hanger by the way is, according to a local farmer I spoke to some years ago in Lidl, where the London Goodyear blimp was kept in the 1980s.