The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Work took me to Newmarket this morning - the Headquarters of British horse racing.  Had a wonderful morning on Warren Hill Gallops and at some rather prestigious stables in town, learning all about "horsing" and the like.

Best bit?  One of the owners running an A reg Toyota Tercel 4WD!!  It would have been improper to take a photo but a quick internet sleuth suggests it is owned by Sir Mark Prescott- the most prestigious of Newmarket trainers.

What a wonderful look.  In a sea of Disco 4s and RRs, a white Toyota Tercel on an A plate.  Marvellous.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:13 AM, HMC said:

image.thumb.jpg.e87bef10c53059044d0ff22218f602f3.jpg

Lots of standing on back seat of convertibles (ZIL?)

That's a brace of Aurus Senats. They replaced the ZILs in 2018 or 19. They were developed by NAMI (The Central Scientific Research Automobile and Automotive Engines Institute) and built by Aurus, a new state owned  enterprise. Putin himself was directly involved in developing it.  The state limousines have  4.4 litre hybrid engines developing 590bhp; but there are plans to sell them privately, these will not have the armoured bodies of the state limousines but will have the option of a 6.6 litre V12 engine developing 848bhp!

24 minutes ago, martc said:

That's a brace of Aurus Senats. They replaced the ZILs in 2018 or 19. They were developed by NAMI (The Central Scientific Research Automobile and Automotive Engines Institute) and built by Aurus, a new state owned  enterprise. Putin himself was directly involved in developing it.  The state limousines have  4.4 litre hybrid engines developing 590bhp; but there are plans to sell them privately, these will not have the armoured bodies of the state limousines but will have the option of a 6.6 litre V12 engine developing 848bhp!

They're an imposing looking vehicle.  And they look absolutely nothing* like a Rolls Royce.

19 hours ago, EightMegs said:

I've accidentally nicked the CV joint boot on the Yaris with a cold chisel the day before my NCT >_<

Get a blob of superglue on it before it becomes a tear, it might just get you through without having to faff with replacing the boot until after the test.

On 5/9/2021 at 11:52 AM, Split_Pin said:

After the heavy rain last night, it was a good time to check the water ingress issue on the passenger footwell on the Cavalier. Clearing the central drain pipe made no difference and the water was actually dripping out the floor bung.

I was a bit concerned that the bulkhead was rotten there. Although  I do have the means to weld it now, there's wiring behind there so it could get a bit involved. 

First I broke the windscreen washer pump outlet. Great. New one only £8 from ebay so ordered it on the hoof.

20210509_100136.thumb.jpg.bbd625666ef42f4f70882800a22cc711.jpg

Garage that did the timing belt broke this vacuum hose connector which was annoying. I'm surprised it didn't  affect the running. Anyway, I can't get a new one yet as typing it into ebay brings up actual vacuum cleaner stuff!

20210509_081731.thumb.jpg.ac1826c6398586ef5b22ca6cade2a117.jpg

20210509_113256.thumb.jpg.4590d71e4de9ad243f7aaba2260c85b4.jpg

I stripped out the plastic scuttle  panel. Its very fragile and will need some gaffa tape here and there.

The bulkhead looks OK . I reckon if I wanted to make things a WHOLE lot worse for myself I could dig out the bitumen matting and find a hole somewhere but as it stands, resealing the factory joins with Tiger Seal is a better solution. I'll then go over the lot with a couple of coats of Hammerite to seal the bitumen matting up as its cracked in a few places.

20210509_101317.thumb.jpg.f9f083cc6d5480568ab99eec66560819.jpg

20210509_101326.thumb.jpg.02f19428d544f3c0e91cf794d0ef3d15.jpg

One area of grot about an inch long near the bottom of the screen but its not doing anything at the moment so I'll Vactan that up and leave it for now.

Glad I've got a decent garage to allow everything to dry out for a few days before sealing it!

I also had new fuel hose fitted from Hose World as the original was badly perished and definitely a fire risk. New stuff looks pretty heavy duty!

20210509_093543.thumb.jpg.b48877dac54e3600973d38da53bb590b.jpg

@Split_Pin I have a spare scuttle panel here if you want it?

I meant to include it with the Cav, but missplaced it prior to selling! 

2 hours ago, Floatylight said:

Nah, I was going with...

A Horse walks into a bar, the barman asks, why the long face?

A white horse walked into a bar and  asked for a whisky, the barman said "we have a whisky named after you" The horse replied "What, Nigel?"

2 hours ago, Burnside said:

@Split_Pin I have a spare scuttle panel here if you want it?

I meant to include it with the Cav, but missplaced it prior to selling! 

Yes please! I have devised a repair to the plastic involving a scrap length of door seal rubber but a better one would be perfect. I shall PM you!

Spent last week camping in the T2 in the Lake District. To say that the weather was changeable would be an understatement. The new gearbox was very pleasantly silent, the old van/new engine ran smooth & swift and the Propex heater was toastie warm, but burnt a shitload of gas.

DSCN5889.thumb.JPG.5923b7c6940495195069e366658d4421.JPG

In other exciting news, the Scirocco has become surprisingly brisk for a babby 1600.

7 hours ago, vulgalour said:

Get a blob of superglue on it before it becomes a tear, it might just get you through without having to faff with replacing the boot until after the test.

I put some electrical tape over it and then the jubilee clip on top. It ultimately failed the test on corrosion, so I got some 1.5mm plate on the way home 👍

4 hours ago, anonymous user said:

A white horse walked into a bar and  asked for a whisky, the barman said "we have a whisky named after you" The horse replied "What, Nigel?"

It was a race-horse. Late evening, wanders up to the bar. 

Barman: Sorry, you're just too late.

Horse: But you just called me in!

Barman (confused): I didn't!

Horse: You did! My name is Time Gentleman Please.

(...puts coat on)

I made an interesting discovery today. 

I've always wanted to know what my Grandad's first company car was knowing that he had a Ford Consul L in the mid 70's. Well I got chatting with my dad this morning and he told me that before my Grandad had the Consul (which was the second company car he owned), the first company car he had was a Silver 4-door Datsun saloon in around 1973/74. At first I thought it could be a Laurel C130 as my dad describes it as one of the top end spec models, but after looking through some photos on the internet, he said it was a 260C saloon. My dad recalls the grill with the two square chrome pieces in the centre, and that it was silver with a black vinyl interior, so something similar to this:

Ei2uGptX0AAfxp5.thumb.jpeg.7f127fb6eb0874f221333463a9d2a507.jpeg

That's my news for today, I might ask my uncle if he's got any photos of it.

20210510_115348.thumb.jpg.0ccd1bdc7baa3d0337a1b0a34370a4f7.jpg

This was up for sale at my local auction, I used to see it from time to time in town and even spoke to the elderly owner a couple of times. 

It's tidy,  but short MOT so I lobbed a £500 commission bid on and thought I was in with a shout. 

The hammer has just gone down at £2K!

That's £2326.80 with auction fees. 

Insane. 

2 hours ago, holbeck said:

This was up for sale at my local auction, I used to see it from time to time in town and even spoke to the elderly owner a couple of times. 

It's tidy,  but short MOT so I lobbed a £500 commission bid on and thought I was in with a shout. 

Insane. 

I guess the ex-owner's happy.

4 hours ago, holbeck said:

Insane. 

Catalytic converter is a good £5-600. Before you even consider it's a lovely Honda that's been well cared for with 3 doors etc.

However, it's about twice what I thought it might be.  Someone really wanted it though.

2 hours ago, reb said:

Off to ECP to return my old starter for the surcharge. It's not exactly the same part as the new one but it's equivalent, hopefully that doesn't matter because it wasn't a small surcharge!

20210511_131339.thumb.jpg.60fa93adbfca99fee56ca4a8cd6c63df.jpg

I'm not sure many people at euros know what the right part for anything is, so I wouldn't be too worried... 

The sun's starting to come out, So I though I'd go and give the Golf a look over (I still have it) at the parents and to check a few things. Thankfully all I can see it should need for test is a patch of duct tape over a small bit of rust, and to secure part of the NS door trim back on. On top of that I'm going to finally get it serviced, as well as do the fuel filter to see if that'll cure the mysterious cutting out issue. 

Then hopefully have a few summer fun days with it, roof down and maybe have a white van driver shout "poof" at me while driving it. It'll be 2019 all over.  

13 minutes ago, 17-Coffees said:

Thankfully all I can see it should need for test is a patch of duct tape over a small bit of rust,

Ah yes, structural MOT-spec duct tape. Just like another dark blue slightly rusty shed in the local area. :D