The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

9 hours ago, aldo135 said:

Went for a jog earlier (seemed a good idea at the time) and met @Lacquer Peel who had kindly come through with my new car! My first car collection on foot and without kids in tow. Thanks for your help Cal :). Those of you who know this car and commented on the sale thread are right, it’s a brilliant thing! 

48861357-65CE-47D1-A4E6-226934AC7025.jpeg

21596031-C9FB-4B32-BDDF-E3DF4E19BA51.jpeg

5CC04CAE-B6A0-476D-9D19-77BDEA112F04.jpeg

I'm glad you like it! I am always worried when selling that my idea of a good car isn't someone else's idea of a good car. 

The lazy headlight wiper on the passenger side might just be a loose connector at the motor, it's another of those wee things I didn't get around to fixing. 

9 hours ago, SiC said:

Got my Bill Gates jab today. Can hear him speaking in my ear already. 

Unfortunately it's progressively made me feel shitter over the day. Groggy and aching. 

Bloody annoying as I was intending to go to the Haynes Museum pre-80s Breakfast meet tomorrow, but that's looking unlikely if this progressively gets worse. Driving the BGT is physically hard work and it's a good hour drive each way. Been looking forward to it all year too! 😔

Got my letter a couple of days ago, jag is on Friday, not planning anything in case it wipes me out.

11 hours ago, SiC said:

Got my Bill Gates jab today. Can hear him speaking in my ear already. 

Unfortunately it's progressively made me feel shitter over the day. Groggy and aching. 

Bloody annoying as I was intending to go to the Haynes Museum pre-80s Breakfast meet tomorrow, but that's looking unlikely if this progressively gets worse. Driving the BGT is physically hard work and it's a good hour drive each way. Been looking forward to it all year too! 😔

Watched every hour pass on my clock last night. Feel rougher than a Badgers Backside. Haven't felt this bad since I had Glandular fever.

No Haynes Museum breakfast meet for me today. Gutted 😔

13 minutes ago, loserone said:
Happy jaguar day!

[mention=20071]SiC[/mention]are you on the paracetamol?  

I've never looked forward to feeling like shit before..

Just taken some. Paracetamol usually makes feck all difference with me though unfortunately.

Did 190+ miles yesterday to look at a couple of Yarises/Yarii (?) for Miss SL. Looking to spend around a grand. If it works out OK then it can also be used for Master SL when he start driving at the end of next year.

109cbea0f1114d45a1cb1b5bb757672f.jpg

This well-specced CDX was pretty decent, from a trader in cheapies who works from home. Came away thinking that was the one, but felt we need to see at least one other first.

Toyota yaris, Hatchback, 2004, Manual, 998 (cc), 3 doors, low miles, long MOT

This "Blue" model was a touch more expensive but a couple of years newer and only two thirds the mileage, from a private seller. It's now the preferred choice and we've got an offer on the table, will hopefully conclude that today.

When we got back home we found that an ad had just been posted for another good candidate which was not too far from the first one we'd seen - a shame we didn't know about it when we were over that way, but if neither of the above work out then we've got that as a fallback.

It's a while since I've gone around to view cars, it wasn't as unpleasant an experience as I feared but we did weed out several possibilities which didn't feel right for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

This "Blue" model was a touch more expensive but a couple of years newer and only two thirds the mileage, from a private seller. It's now the preferred choice and we've got an offer on the table, will hopefully conclude that today.

Update: Just agreed a price with the pleasant and helpful seller, will collect it next weekend.

It's only a year or so younger than Miss SL. That'd be the equivalent of me having got myself a 1971 Corolla when I started driving.

After the heavy rain last night, it was a good time to check the water ingress issue on the passenger footwell on the Cavalier. Clearing the central drain pipe made no difference and the water was actually dripping out the floor bung.

I was a bit concerned that the bulkhead was rotten there. Although  I do have the means to weld it now, there's wiring behind there so it could get a bit involved. 

First I broke the windscreen washer pump outlet. Great. New one only £8 from ebay so ordered it on the hoof.

20210509_100136.thumb.jpg.bbd625666ef42f4f70882800a22cc711.jpg

Garage that did the timing belt broke this vacuum hose connector which was annoying. I'm surprised it didn't  affect the running. Anyway, I can't get a new one yet as typing it into ebay brings up actual vacuum cleaner stuff!

20210509_081731.thumb.jpg.ac1826c6398586ef5b22ca6cade2a117.jpg

20210509_113256.thumb.jpg.4590d71e4de9ad243f7aaba2260c85b4.jpg

I stripped out the plastic scuttle  panel. Its very fragile and will need some gaffa tape here and there.

The bulkhead looks OK . I reckon if I wanted to make things a WHOLE lot worse for myself I could dig out the bitumen matting and find a hole somewhere but as it stands, resealing the factory joins with Tiger Seal is a better solution. I'll then go over the lot with a couple of coats of Hammerite to seal the bitumen matting up as its cracked in a few places.

20210509_101317.thumb.jpg.f9f083cc6d5480568ab99eec66560819.jpg

20210509_101326.thumb.jpg.02f19428d544f3c0e91cf794d0ef3d15.jpg

One area of grot about an inch long near the bottom of the screen but its not doing anything at the moment so I'll Vactan that up and leave it for now.

Glad I've got a decent garage to allow everything to dry out for a few days before sealing it!

I also had new fuel hose fitted from Hose World as the original was badly perished and definitely a fire risk. New stuff looks pretty heavy duty!

20210509_093543.thumb.jpg.b48877dac54e3600973d38da53bb590b.jpg

1 minute ago, Cookiesouwest said:

Went out to get my tools in an ultimately failed attempt to remove the tow bar from the new purchase and some scroat has tried drilling the locks out :(

20210509_121046.thumb.jpg.076f7185dbfc6dd8ff00d829b3228a35.jpg

20210509_121048.thumb.jpg.1ba6c8027d09c336306c51ddaab84596.jpg 

At least tried and failed, the bastards.

An opportunity to beef up security, although a cordless angry grinder with a thin cutting disc gets through a padlock in three seconds.

4 minutes ago, Agila said:

At least tried and failed, the bastards.

An opportunity to beef up security, although a cordless angry grinder with a thin cutting disc gets through a padlock in three seconds.

The really scary thing is how stupid they are. They just need a screwdriver and unscrew the hinges !

16205603515176003220957848377204.thumb.jpg.cef85438a9763865e1ffc14b8e693ca8.jpg

Three cars on my drive

None of them are working

Thirty years of hurt

Never stopped me dreaming...

On Friday the low coolant light started coming on intermittently in the BWM although the temp gauge stayed in the normal central position. Arrived home to the smell of coolant and a hiss from under the bonnet. A fine jet of steaming coolant was being emitted from the expansion tank - a known weakness on these.

Closer inspection revealed that a fastener was missing from the top of the rad

1119580065_IMG_20210509_1151071.thumb.jpg.501889933eff64b7f1a822ffb399c416.jpg

so the rad rocked backwards allowing the expansion tank to rub against the alternator pulley and belt wearing a groove in it.

1877044391_IMG_20210509_1152121.thumb.jpg.7368c5cde76d3436aefdabe2a7196ff7.jpg

I'm holding the rad in place with some cable ties for now so I can get it to a local garage to sort it. I'm farming the job out as yesterday I had my first FTP in the BX when it failed to start after the Shiteisteddfod and I need to sort that out. It appears to be getting fuel and spark, cranks fine but won't start.

I had my first dose of the AZ this morning and my arm is throbbing and I've got a headache in spite of taking paracetamol.  Oh, and it's just started raining. I might just give up on today and go back to bed.

4 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Did 190+ miles yesterday to look at a couple of Yarises/Yarii (?) for Miss SL. Looking to spend around a grand. If it works out OK then it can also be used for Master SL when he start driving at the end of next year.

109cbea0f1114d45a1cb1b5bb757672f.jpg

This well-specced CDX was pretty decent, from a trader in cheapies who works from home. Came away thinking that was the one, but felt we need to see at least one other first.

Toyota yaris, Hatchback, 2004, Manual, 998 (cc), 3 doors, low miles, long MOT

When we got back home we found that an ad had just been posted for another good candidate which was not too far from the first one we'd seen - a shame we didn't know about it when we were over that way, but if neither of the above work out then we've got that as a fallback.

It's a while since I've gone around to view cars, it wasn't as unpleasant an experience as I feared but we did weed out several possibilities which didn't feel right for whatever reason.

My Yaris gave me very little trouble in the time I had it, but I would get the rear floorpan rust treated as mine had advisories about the boot floor rusting on the last 2 MOTs.

The rear struts cost a bit to replace if they wear out, I was quoted £600 to fit a new set.

Even after 66000 miles the engine was still running smoothly with just regular oil & plug changes.

10 minutes ago, Richard_FM said:

My Yaris gave me very little trouble in the time I had it, but I would get the rear floorpan rust treated as mine had advisories about the boot floor rusting on the last 2 MOTs.

The rear struts cost a bit to replace if they wear out, I was quoted £600 to fit a new set.

Even after 66000 miles the engine was still running smoothly with just regular oil & plug changes.

Mine is sitting at 135,000 miles with no major mechanical issues. Rear shock absorbers can be had new from KYB for around £60 or Kaya for around £25. 

More foutering with the Cavalier.

I removed the wiper linkage to get better access and the mounting fell apart. Helpfully* my spare is also the same. New one on watch on ebay.

20210509_151432.thumb.jpg.5a7f2d88388197f7ca9b30991a263153.jpg

Its definitely still fighting with anyone who comes near it with good intentions.

I managed to unseize the SD1's sticky piston. A tip - turn an old powerfile belt inside out - if you slip it over the piston you can clean the part of the piston you can't see. After a polish it was lubed.

It will need replacing but for now it works - I really want to get it MOT'd and it needs money spending on other things.

I whacked the centre consol while playing with the blower controls and now the blower works throughout the range. Even the boost relay kicks in.

Gearchange has massively improved too. Probably more down to me acclimatising to the car, but some wooleyness has definitely disappeared.

I had a record-breaking run back from Somerset today - left Portishead Sainsburys at 15:08, pulled onto the car park at home at 19:31, including a piss stop at Cherwell Valley services.  I wasn't even driving particularly fast - the roads were just completely clear.  The Ypsilon appears to have done around 50mpg, so not bad but nowhere near the (absurd) official figures.  It's not bad on a long run for such a tiddly car, but it's nowhere near as comfy as the Rover.

My support bubble ( aka sister and family ) visited today. First time they’ve been in another house for over a year! 

We played cricket on my* lawn before going to look at the lambs whilst viscount Severn blasted his shotgun at the Canada geese.

49CF71C5-E925-4DE2-B545-AA23C8289130.jpeg