The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 hours ago, wesacosa said:

had this on my eBay watch list for about a year.  Last week I decided there was no point keeping something I would never buy on my watchlist as it was in Latvia and not particularly cheap

a nice Latvian man has just dropped it off at my house. Its massive and weighs a ton and I have no fecking idea what I am gonna do with it. Its rather cool though. Need to convince Mrs Wesacosa how nice it would look in the back garden ;)

20210507_205240.jpg

what sort of lighting is inside that?

if its got some soviet incandescent lightbulbs or fluorescent tubes installed still

please save them for me! :) 

I have a dire lack of Soviet/eastern European  shite in my lightbulb collection which I really need to sort out

and yes its very fitting, given the recent eastern block activity on the forum! :) 

26 minutes ago, LightBulbFun said:

what sort of lighting is inside that?

if its got some soviet incandescent lightbulbs or fluorescent tubes installed still

please save them for me! :) 

I have a dire lack of Soviet/eastern European  shite in my lightbulb collection which I really need to sort out

and yes its very fitting, given the recent eastern block activity on the forum! :) 

Not sure to be honest, haven't got as far as to open it up. Will have a look at how it all comes apart 

3 hours ago, wesacosa said:

had this on my eBay watch list for about a year.  Last week I decided there was no point keeping something I would never buy on my watchlist as it was in Latvia and not particularly cheap

a nice Latvian man has just dropped it off at my house. Its massive and weighs a ton and I have no fecking idea what I am gonna do with it.

20210507_205240.jpg

I've been watching similar Lada bits and bobs on eBay, hoping that they drop a tad and come into budget.

If you see any similar items, do give me a nudge

Timing belt all done on the Cavalier,  picking it up later this morning. Traditionally he has said he has marked the mileage on the belt cover in white which I approve of.

The ride is shit on the 16 inch Speedline wheels with 195/45/16 tyres though. I don't remember the Corsa being affected by them like that. Anyway, I've finally decided to sell them and I am collecting a set of MK1 Tigra wheels on Tuesday. They will need tyres so I'm going for the highest possible profile within Cavalier tolerances and that is a common size, I think 195/60 should be cheap enough. Ideally I'd like 185/65 but I think those might be dearer. Its not the first time its worn this sort of wheel either, here is a picture I found of it about 10 years ago.

michaelspictures2365.jpg

Yesterday a kid arrived at school just after we were locking the back gates. Normally if they’re late they have to go to the main entrance to sign in (a 2 minute walk round the corner)

However, as he had arrived to school in a Rover 600 I made them unlock the gates to let him in, and informed him that this was purely because he had arrived in a Rover. 

1 hour ago, Split_Pin said:

Timing belt all done on the Cavalier,  picking it up later this morning. Traditionally he has said he has marked the mileage on the belt cover in white which I approve of.

The ride is shit on the 16 inch Speedline wheels with 195/45/16 tyres though. I don't remember the Corsa being affected by them like that. Anyway, I've finally decided to sell them and I am collecting a set of MK1 Tigra wheels on Tuesday. They will need tyres so I'm going for the highest possible profile within Cavalier tolerances and that is a common size, I think 195/60 should be cheap enough. Ideally I'd like 185/65 but I think those might be dearer. Its not the first time its worn this sort of wheel either, here is a picture I found of it about 10 years ago.

michaelspictures2365.jpg

I had a set of Calibra wheels in our Old mk3, which went on the Astra mk3 later, and had come off a calibre (note the E. The CalibrE was given the proper mk2 Sri130 style alloys which had been on the mk3.

The mk3 also wore steel wheels, mk3 Astra gsi fan blades. 

It's not often car insurance can raise a smile but the Princess policy was due for renewal next week and my current insurer have been bombarding me with renewal reminders by post, email and text which annoyed me intensely, especially seeing as they put the price up by £30.  I'd been recommended Hagerty by a couple of friends with old cars so I got a quote off their website, got an instant and fairly decent price, called them up and got straight through to a thoroughly pleasant chap - he asked the usual questions, managed to match the Lancaster price with extra bits like breakdown cover included and I had the new policy set up in a few minutes.    

37 minutes ago, phil_lihp said:

It's not often car insurance can raise a smile but the Princess policy was due for renewal next week and my current insurer have been bombarding me with renewal reminders by post, email and text which annoyed me intensely, especially seeing as they put the price up by £30.  I'd been recommended Hagerty by a couple of friends with old cars so I got a quote off their website, got an instant and fairly decent price, called them up and got straight through to a thoroughly pleasant chap - he asked the usual questions, managed to match the Lancaster price with extra bits like breakdown cover included and I had the new policy set up in a few minutes.    

I recently got insured with Hagerty on my MGF, I was happy with the price they quoted me and impressed with the thoroughly excellent customer service I received,  it was nice to able to speak car stuff with the gentleman on the end of the phone instead of just going through the process 

I cleaned my ring... no one likes a dirty ring.

Admittedly it's been way overdue as I've had the  car a year and a half but I feared the metal disintegrating given the apparant rust.

20210502_130954

And after. Not rusty at all but, a lot of nicotine and cigarette smoke staining and thick gunge... nice 🤮

20210508_112722

Went for a jog earlier (seemed a good idea at the time) and met @Lacquer Peel who had kindly come through with my new car! My first car collection on foot and without kids in tow. Thanks for your help Cal :). Those of you who know this car and commented on the sale thread are right, it’s a brilliant thing! 

48861357-65CE-47D1-A4E6-226934AC7025.jpeg

21596031-C9FB-4B32-BDDF-E3DF4E19BA51.jpeg

5CC04CAE-B6A0-476D-9D19-77BDEA112F04.jpeg

1 hour ago, aldo135 said:

Went for a jog earlier (seemed a good idea at the time) and met @Lacquer Peel who had kindly come through with my new car! My first car collection on foot and without kids in tow. Thanks for your help Cal :). Those of you who know this car and commented on the sale thread are right, it’s a brilliant thing! 

I like 👍 

Got my Bill Gates jab today. Can hear him speaking in my ear already. 

Unfortunately it's progressively made me feel shitter over the day. Groggy and aching. 

Bloody annoying as I was intending to go to the Haynes Museum pre-80s Breakfast meet tomorrow, but that's looking unlikely if this progressively gets worse. Driving the BGT is physically hard work and it's a good hour drive each way. Been looking forward to it all year too! 😔

9 hours ago, aldo135 said:

I'm glad you like it! I am always worried when selling that my idea of a good car isn't someone else's idea of a good car. 

The lazy headlight wiper on the passenger side might just be a loose connector at the motor, it's another of those wee things I didn't get around to fixing. 

9 hours ago, SiC said:

Unfortunately it's progressively made me feel shitter over the day. Groggy and aching. 

Bloody annoying as I was intending to go to the Haynes Museum pre-80s Breakfast meet tomorrow, but that's looking unlikely if this progressively gets worse. Driving the BGT is physically hard work and it's a good hour drive each way. Been looking forward to it all year too! 😔

Got my letter a couple of days ago, jag is on Friday, not planning anything in case it wipes me out.

11 hours ago, SiC said:

Watched every hour pass on my clock last night. Feel rougher than a Badgers Backside. Haven't felt this bad since I had Glandular fever.

No Haynes Museum breakfast meet for me today. Gutted 😔

13 minutes ago, loserone said:
Happy jaguar day!

[mention=20071]SiC[/mention]are you on the paracetamol?  

I've never looked forward to feeling like shit before..

Just taken some. Paracetamol usually makes feck all difference with me though unfortunately.

Did 190+ miles yesterday to look at a couple of Yarises/Yarii (?) for Miss SL. Looking to spend around a grand. If it works out OK then it can also be used for Master SL when he start driving at the end of next year.

109cbea0f1114d45a1cb1b5bb757672f.jpg

This well-specced CDX was pretty decent, from a trader in cheapies who works from home. Came away thinking that was the one, but felt we need to see at least one other first.

Toyota yaris, Hatchback, 2004, Manual, 998 (cc), 3 doors, low miles, long MOT

This "Blue" model was a touch more expensive but a couple of years newer and only two thirds the mileage, from a private seller. It's now the preferred choice and we've got an offer on the table, will hopefully conclude that today.

When we got back home we found that an ad had just been posted for another good candidate which was not too far from the first one we'd seen - a shame we didn't know about it when we were over that way, but if neither of the above work out then we've got that as a fallback.

It's a while since I've gone around to view cars, it wasn't as unpleasant an experience as I feared but we did weed out several possibilities which didn't feel right for whatever reason.

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

This "Blue" model was a touch more expensive but a couple of years newer and only two thirds the mileage, from a private seller. It's now the preferred choice and we've got an offer on the table, will hopefully conclude that today.

Update: Just agreed a price with the pleasant and helpful seller, will collect it next weekend.

It's only a year or so younger than Miss SL. That'd be the equivalent of me having got myself a 1971 Corolla when I started driving.