The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

50 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I spy my workplace in the distance. Did you take the road through Lydd, Camber and up to Rye? It fantastic to blat along.

I drove along the A259 this time after a trip to Rye Harbour.  I was following a winner in an F-reg Bedford Bambi, and he lost me a couple of times through the bends.  But I was in waft rather than blez mode.

52 minutes ago, RobT said:

I drove along the A259 this time after a trip to Rye Harbour.  I was following a winner in an F-reg Bedford Bambi, and he lost me a couple of times through the bends.  But I was in waft rather than blez mode.

There is a good cafe at Rye Harbour,The Bosuns Bite where good grub is available.

25 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Thanks to @jamescarruthers' recommendation, I've mangaed to sort myself out with a spare wheel basket, wheel brace and hanger from Edwards & Son in Essex.

Cheers man, you've saved me a fair bit of hassle.

No problemo. They are really nice there and very helpful. I’ve even returned parts without hassle. 

If you ever drive there to collect though, be careful, the roads outside have moon sized craters in them. I wonder if people go to pick up parts, find their car destroyed and then leave it for scrap?!

I went in the freshly restored Avantime last year and was having kittens on the last off road part to get in!

Also, it is in Billericay, Essex and I amuse myself no end shouting “Biwwewikkaaaayyy” to myself when I see the village/town sign. 

Balls.  My pressure washer has just expired quite spectacularly (pump seized by the sound of it).  So I've now got a 1/2 de-mossed front path.  To be fair this one has lasted me seven years, though it's leaked like a sieve since about six months in.

Need to do some research before picking up another one...fed up of plastic consumer grade tat.  Would really like to get the one we used to use at the garage which is about as simple as it gets...a tubular frame with a couple of wheels on and a pump bolted on the end of a stinking great induction motor.  That's about £500 though for the base unit though and I'd need to probably spend half that again for a hose etc...pricey.  Also complete, total overkill.

I'd also really rather go down the petrol powered route as I have a seething hate for tools like that trailing wires behind them.  Especially something like this which has two boxes also involved for it to get tangled around.  Time for some research.

1 minute ago, Zelandeth said:

Balls.  My pressure washer has just expired quite spectacularly (pump seized by the sound of it).  So I've now got a 1/2 de-mossed front path.  To be fair this one has lasted me seven years, though it's leaked like a sieve since about six months in.

Need to do some research before picking up another one...fed up of plastic consumer grade tat.  Would really like to get the one we used to use at the garage which is about as simple as it gets...a tubular frame with a couple of wheels on and a pump bolted on the end of a stinking great induction motor.  That's about £500 though for the base unit though and I'd need to probably spend half that again for a hose etc...pricey.  Also complete, total overkill.

I'd also really rather go down the petrol powered route as I have a seething hate for tools like that trailing wires behind them.  Especially something like this which has two boxes also involved for it to get tangled around.  Time for some research.

If you can stomach the wires at all get a Kranzle. Petrol ones that sit around always take too long to start when you do need them.

26 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

shame its the pump thats gone, was hoping you could abuse it to make a pulse jet :) 

(its seriously something id love to try/do at some point, it just blows my mind how simple they are!)

Nah buy a shite one from Argos

It’ll have a hose trailing off it anyhow unless you get one of those cordless ones.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

shame its the pump thats gone, was hoping you could abuse it to make a pulse jet :) 

(its seriously something id love to try/do at some point, it just blows my mind how simple they are!)

Even better 

1 hour ago, bangernomics said:

Nah buy a shite one from Argos emoji6.png

It’ll have a hose trailing off it anyhow unless you get one of those cordless ones.

True... though the hose doesn't care if I lose track of it and blast it with the pressure washer, whereas the cable reel takes exception to that and trips out the RCD which takes out most of the house electrics. 

Last one was a Nilfisk which has outlasted it's predecessors by a factor of about three.

Found this stain on the path where it expired...if it's left oil behind that suggests to me that something pretty spectacular went wrong.

IMG_20210505_152713.thumb.jpg.5e3358db81142b7607df843693208884.jpg

Will definitely need to pull it to bits to figure out what happened.

I can't see lack of use with a petrol one being an issue given it'll be used pretty regularly - longest gap is likely to be a couple of months in the winter.  The only thing which I've tended to have a bit of a fight to get going in the spring is the hedge trimmer...though that was a £50 Amazon cheapie so I kind of knew that going in!  Don't know...I need to have a think. 

Just topped off the tyres in the van...I always forget how much of a difference it makes.  Feels like I've gained about 10bhp and had power steering fitted.  Bit different to your average car though... they run 56psi on the front and 65 on the rear.

3 hours ago, Zelandeth said:

Aldi have a petrol one online just now. £210 delivered with 3 year guarantee. 

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

Would anyone know why my new-to-me refurbished Samsung Galaxy S9 won't upload pictures?

I get the 'add file' button and it looks like it's trying to start the upload but no progression happens 🤔

Is this using Firefox? @Talbothas noted the same issue - I just haven't gotten around to plugging my phone in to find out the problem. Seems to only get upset with images over 2MB and only with Firefox.

58 minutes ago, tobyd said:

Is this using Firefox? @Talbothas noted the same issue - I just haven't gotten around to plugging my phone in to find out the problem. Seems to only get upset with images over 2MB and only with Firefox.

Nail on the head, I'm using Firefox whereas before I wasn't!

Parking sensors have been playing up  on the Focus for a few weeks, and it's been doing my head in, as it shuts down all the sensors, self parking etc, and gives a warning on every start, so decided to fix it tonight. Forscan said left rear outer sensor. Swapped it with another and still the same..

Took the back bumper off, removed the loom which is also the BLIS loom. Stripped all the tape off and found s tiny nick in 1 wire, and green copper inside. Replaced the bad section   and taped it all up again. Sorted 😀

Blood everywhere though. Seems every time I go near a car just now I cut myself, and my nose was running like a tap.. and I got shit in my eye.

Parking sensors. Blood, snot and tears 😕

+1 for Firefox being a dick, I was trying to search content on a page with it yesterday and it wouldn't search for shit. 

Fired up chrome, spent 10 minutes navigating our system back to where I was and boom 2 seconds done