The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

13 hours ago, wuvvum said:

I've been up on Brean Down and up to the fort, but I haven't ever tried driving on the beach...

First time I have ever visited Brean beach, we arrived at the beach gates paid for the parking (£5 all day) and decided to go right on the beach to be near the fort and facilities ( toilets and café) was a really nice day all round

19 minutes ago, N19 said:

Occasionally, 'normal' friends think I'm very odd for having 3...!

I don't have many 'normal' friends, but some think I'm weird just for my two.

I remember telling a mate about the Saab when I bought it and his first question was "Did you get rid of the BMW then?"

Err... no! That's not how this works!

3 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

My wife thinks its normal for me to have 4 cars, most of my neighbours accept it too.

A few people still ask what do I need 4 cars for and my usual answer is 'just because.

When I moved into my new flat, a neighbour who's a bit of a Hyacinth asked "how many cars *do* you have at this address?". But it seemed to go down well when I explained and she realised that it's useful to have someone who k knows their way around a car nearby. 

20210421_204241.thumb.jpg.9ae24a9e333772ff70d8df6074390f5f.jpg

Finished up this fuel/vacuum pump as far as I can for the guy in Texas; waiting on a different diaphragm and a replacement main spring.

20210421_211933.thumb.jpg.084cd1de6410db6bd10f4d171be60512.jpg

Farkd about with the clock I'm rebuilding, tweaked it so it would start itself but now that means it doesn't tick evenly so back to square one with that; despite that it's accurate to about a minute or two a day which isn't bad going.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

A few people still ask what do I need 4 cars for and my usual answer is 'just because.

I often used to get that at work, normally from women.  "Why do you need so many cars when you can only drive one at a time?"  My standard response was "How many pairs of shoes can you wear at a time?", which normally worked.

2 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

My wife thinks its normal for me to have 4 cars, most of my neighbours accept it too.

the last place i worked at found it utterly mind blowing that kerry and i have 6 cars and 2 motorcylces between us.

the fact that the youngest car, the 20 year old Rover was almost the same age as a couple of folks i was working with passed them by.

my reasoning for the number of shitboxes in our ownership?

well it always pays to have a "backup" just in cast.

and also only 3 of those cars and none of the  motor bikes were road legal at that time was also  a consideration.

New car in analogue speedo shocker news...😄

BL never ran out of canteen chips - they kept those fat fryers running 24/7...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56841946

When is a Jag factory shutdown not a factory shutdown...when...

"We have adjusted production schedules for certain vehicles which means that our Castle Bromwich and Halewood manufacturing plants will be operating a limited period of non-production from Monday 26th April."

😄

Who writes this stuff.. 

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Even my dad was questioning why on earth I have six of them! I did point out that their main car is depreciating every year more than each of mine are worth. But mine aren't depreciating.

Usually my response to anyone asking is that "I like old crappy cars". If people question the financial element of it, I just point out "They're old and not worth a huge amount but are appreciating in value. They do cost me a lot less per month than a PCP car too. I'm old enough now that insurance costs bugger all and I enjoy fixing them myself." 

Usually that is enough to satisfy peoples curiosity. 

31 minutes ago, MarvinsMom said:

the last place i worked at found it utterly mind blowing that kerry and i have 6 cars and 2 motorcylces between us.

the fact that the youngest car, the 20 year old Rover was almost the same age as a couple of folks i was working with passed them by.

my reasoning for the number of shitboxes in our ownership?

well it always pays to have a "backup" just in cast.

and also only 3 of those cars and none of the  motor bikes were road legal at that time was also  a consideration.

At the last place I worked at in the UK there were a couple of lads who were amazed I could afford to run a V8 Discovery as a daily driver

1 had a Kuga on pcp,another had a Corsa vxr thing on a personal loan.

Yet neither could understand that for less than 6months of their payments I had bought,insured and pretty much paid the fuel costs of my lpg'd Disco

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

In my old house my neighbour asked if I was starting a used car dealership when I got to 4.... 

Now I’m at 10 I’m glad I don’t have close neighbours and an understanding wife 😂 

But my friends and colleagues often struggle to see why I have so many, my boss said he must be paying me too much, until I pointed out that all my cars combined did not cost as much as my colleagues brand new Merc! 

Nervous knot in my stomach for the next few days. 

Mortgage provider is doing the valuation on the house we're buying.  It was for sale at offers between 145-150 and we offered on the lower end of things. 

It's slightly cheaper than surrounding houses, in great condition and when looking at Zoopla etc and property prices are going up again but fucks sake this process takes time.

Can't wait for it to be finished. 🤞

Just now, loserone said:

£5 you're not in by June.. sorry!

I'm starting to think that. 

The Solicitors only requested the draft contracts there.  They took my initial money 3 weeks back nearly. 

The Mortgage Broker is the only one that's prompt by the looks of it. I'm hoping once the approval comes through (going well) that I can start prodding the solicitors to get off their hole. 

3 hours ago, brownnova said:

But my friends and colleagues often struggle to see why I have so many, my boss said he must be paying me too much, until I pointed out that all my cars combined did not cost as much as my colleagues brand new Merc! 

I found it funny that I bought and ran a BMW and a Porsche for less than a decent small second hand 5 year old supermini.

Problem:

20210422_201313.thumb.jpg.f2a722f2a8d116ef83a61cfbcbb561f2.jpg

Solution:

20210422_201320.thumb.jpg.e7b057b0cd92c94d84a5b932f7276c7a.jpg

Result:

20210422_201532.thumb.jpg.748f4774f6e49b4b8c74e35e797e4a83.jpg

Actually this is just for the weekend. I have an ebay special second hand door card coming, though I did toy with the idea of stripping this one and re-upholstering it. But that would be more of a PIA than spending £25 on the second hand one.