The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

16 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Yesterday went and visiting my friends in sittingbourne.. but just leaving town had a strange driving by a bmw driver... were they lost... confused...??

The people in the car speaking have some interesting use of language. 

1 hour ago, stuboy said:

Yesterday went and visiting my friends in sittingbourne.. but just leaving town had a strange driving by a bmw driver... were they lost... confused...??

Are you driving a small 3 pot car? If so, BMW driver has assumed they're more important than you. 

The amount of people who used to pull out in front of our old MX5 because small car was ridiculous. Strangely, the MR2 commands more respect from other road users which I still can't quite understand. 

In the end I decided against driving to the unit today because I realised driving on basically no sleep isn't particularly sensible, but then a friend popped up and asked if he could borrow my engine crane so we went along in his brother's van. While we were there we decided to have a prod at the C2, discovering that the bonnet really didn't want to open we spent a good few minutes fighting with it, eventually we got it open and got the battery out to charge. Other than being a bit grim from sitting it all seemed altogether better than it did when it was parked up, which might just be because I'm feeling more optimistic now than then. Next job there will be photos then listing it for sale/roffle.

My friend also agreed to help with the 205 since I've helped him out with his turbo Civic build by lending him various bits of garage equipment he couldn't justify buying himself, between us we make a single reasonably skilled mechanic* so that's another big relief. It's been entirely too long since it was last on the road and quite frankly I wish I'd just worked on the problems the original engine had rather than trying to stuff an HDI into it but that's hindsight. I'm hoping that by the time I'm "finished" with it it'll be in a better state than it was when I bought it, I think we're more than capable of that.

I feel a lot calmer about the automotive side of life than I did 48 hours ago, obviously staying awake this long has a cleansing effect on the brain or something.

13 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

DSC_1597.thumb.JPG.bef8d24afe02470d9bde4a6ab5cf9063.JPG

No pez shot yet as it had a third of a tank, but I've pulled into a layby on the A57 for a bite to eat.  

I've bought a car with no logbook off a Scouser.  What could possibly go wrong? 

no Police national computer record so thats good LOL but impressive they managed to lose the V5 given the last one was only issued in late march!

image.thumb.png.2500fe4dcb7d79447182947e36748c42.png

(was quite surprised to find that it only has an 875cc engine mind! we need a back to back comparison/review with a singer chamois LOL)

My daily driver Octavia VRS is sat up on axle stands on the driveway at the moment while the alloys are off being stripped and painted.  I took the opportunity to give it it's overdue yearly service last weekend - overdue in terms of my inclination to do it annually, it's on some ridiculous 18,000 mile intervals I think, although I doubt the previous owner stuck to that as she had it 11 years and it's done over 201,000 miles so I think it's been done more frequently than that.  First time I've used my little Lidl oil pump instead of draining the oil via the sump plug and I was impressed at how much it got out.

20210418_183422.thumb.jpg.aef849e9b0ff7d2fb3eb304a01c5adf1.jpg

(Yes it's sat on the (original!) spare on one corner due to the inability to get the very old and very substantial axle stands I borrowed to add to my two into a suitable position under both sides at the back).   

I finished that off today with changing the absolutely disgusting pollen filter which I changed when I got the car in Feb 2019, quite impressive how much muck it'd accumulated in that time.   

One job I have now thrown in the towel on however is changing the secondary air pump, a common issue on the 1.8T VAG engine as when it wear out the plastic rivets holding it together break and it starts whistling when it runs at cold starts.

20210418_170933.thumb.jpg.27ef996eb4c2e333580cad09171fa448.jpg

Thanks to @Coprolalia's suggestion I obtained a cheapo one off eBay a while back, the original is quite literally falling apart and makes jumbo jet noises so has been unplugged for the last year or so.

I can only assume they start with this thing before building the rest of the car around it - after 2 lengthy sessions cramming my hands into nests of pipes and sharp bits of metal and plastic, muttering under my breath, trying all sorts of odd ratchet attachment combinations and getting nowhere fast, I have to admit defeat on the last allen bolt holding the mounting bracket for the pump in place.  This one below was the second to last one and almost impossible to get a ratchet on to in a way which would allow me to actually get it out - it took about 2 hours to finally get this one off.

20210418_170916.thumb.jpg.0a4477f1105ffeceeb4b17955badb6b4.jpg

Then I found the last one was even more inaccessible and when I finally got the socket on it with the use of 3 extensions and a flexible adaptor, it was seized solid and would not turn.

Sod it, it can go to the garage for that job, plus the thought of having to try and get those bolts back in again does not fill me with joy.  The important thing I've found with vehicle maintenance, as with running and DIY, is knowing when to stop.

1 hour ago, LightBulbFun said:

no Police national computer record so thats good LOL but impressive they managed to lose the V5 given the last one was only issued in late march!

image.thumb.png.2500fe4dcb7d79447182947e36748c42.png

(was quite surprised to find that it only has an 875cc engine mind! we need a back to back comparison/review with a singer chamois LOL)

I thought ypsilon were lancia? The gov history site says Chrysler.

So I've decided, very much against any judgment at all, to take the BX to college tomorrow. In fact I'm so confident in it that I'm bringing my toolkit and a full bottle of LHM with me to keep me company. Upon testing it out on the M25 today, I have a feeling my right foot will get cramp pretty quickly.

Am I stupid or am I brave? I suppose we'll find out tomorrow.

2 hours ago, wuvvum said:

DSC_1597.thumb.JPG.bef8d24afe02470d9bde4a6ab5cf9063.JPG

No pez shot yet as it had a third of a tank, but I've pulled into a layby on the A628 for a bite to eat.  

I've bought a car with no logbook off a Scouser.  What could possibly go wrong? 

Bizzarely this might have been in my rear view mirror a couple of days ago as I intitally thought WTF is that then the penny dropped! whereabouts in my fair city did it reside ? 

22 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Another reason to run a banger: kids.

20210418_202543.jpg

Did they go feral? Fucking hell!

4 hours ago, reb said:

In the end I decided against driving to the unit today because I realised driving on basically no sleep isn't particularly sensible, but then a friend popped up and asked if he could borrow my engine crane so we went along in his brother's van. While we were there we decided to have a prod at the C2, discovering that the bonnet really didn't want to open we spent a good few minutes fighting with it, eventually we got it open and got the battery out to charge. Other than being a bit grim from sitting it all seemed altogether better than it did when it was parked up, which might just be because I'm feeling more optimistic now than then. Next job there will be photos then listing it for sale/roffle.

My friend also agreed to help with the 205 since I've helped him out with his turbo Civic build by lending him various bits of garage equipment he couldn't justify buying himself, between us we make a single reasonably skilled mechanic* so that's another big relief. It's been entirely too long since it was last on the road and quite frankly I wish I'd just worked on the problems the original engine had rather than trying to stuff an HDI into it but that's hindsight. I'm hoping that by the time I'm "finished" with it it'll be in a better state than it was when I bought it, I think we're more than capable of that.

I feel a lot calmer about the automotive side of life than I did 48 hours ago, obviously staying awake this long has a cleansing effect on the brain or something.

Would be well up for a wee trip down the road sometime, now that we're allowed, to work on an old French tub.

Mrs SiC has found a picture of said car. Turns out it's a Clubman. Also harvest gold by the look of it - the colour of my BGT that she have never liked
IMG-20210417-WA0007.thumb.jpg.1b759ae30855069e813567418ee291ee.jpg

Mum had a poo brown inverted colours to that one that had a loom fire and melted her tights to her legs.

Then the battery lead shorted out and nearly torched us all.

Final straw was the rocker started leaking badly and it smoked us out. She chopped it in against a copper coloured chevette saloon.

16 minutes ago, bangernomics said:

Mum had a poo brown inverted colours to that one that had a loom fire and melted her tights to her legs.

Then the battery lead shorted out and nearly torched us all.

Final straw was the rocker started leaking badly and it smoked us out. She chopped it in against a copper coloured chevette saloon.

Quirks and imperfections add character to a car!