The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

10 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Look at the fucking state of this 

4F9F7B3A-231D-4154-97A4-547DD245D59C.thumb.jpeg.aeb4769deb889c77936a48fde0b4ebbf.jpeg

Neglected builders van? No, a freshly collected rental from enterprise. 

Are you going to have that stain analysed?

EDIT to add: if the analysis comes back with DNA traces, you might want to demand a replacement vehicle from Enterprise.....

29 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

Look at the fucking state of this 

4F9F7B3A-231D-4154-97A4-547DD245D59C.thumb.jpeg.aeb4769deb889c77936a48fde0b4ebbf.jpeg

Neglected builders van? No, a freshly collected rental from enterprise. 

Is that a Covid-safe stain? I thought companies were stepping up their cleaning efforts due to the pandemic, not ejaculating on the seats and leaving it for the next customer to enjoy*?

Just now, Dick Longbridge said:

Is that a Covid-safe stain? I thought companies were stepping up their cleaning efforts due to the pandemic, not ejaculating on the seats and leaving it for the next customer to enjoy*?

I note that their covid cleaning standards bumf doesn’t say “we’ll make sure there’s no massive cum stains on the seats”

23 hours ago, Fumbler said:

I may* even take [the BX] to college if it continues to behave.

Lolnope. Not this half term anyway. I've still got things that need fixing before I'm taking it across the country.

3 hours ago, Kiltox said:

I note that their covid cleaning standards bumf doesn’t say “we’ll make sure there’s no massive cum stains on the seats”

It sounds like they need to update their wording!

Did you make eye contact when returning the vehicle with the jizzy seat whilst explaining the fluids were already deposited on the seat prior to your time with it? 😂

Had "the conversation" with Mrs SiC about the fleet and the BMW in particular. I explained how the parts situation (cost and supply) dampened my enthusiasm for it. Also as it's a big car, not sure how much fun I'll have. She's has never liked the BMW since it arrived really anyway. Plus as she reminded me, once I've convinced something in my mind, I tend to move pretty quickly and constantly self reinforce it. First question was what was I after to replace it, as I apparently only sell stuff when I'm something else. 

Mentioned that I would really like a Mini. Her remark was that she really liked them and really didn't mind me getting one. Also she thought that was the case as she saw one left up on my computer screen earlier (that may have been deliberate on my part 🤣). This enthusiasm took me back as she never really has any interest in classic cars at all. I did give a warning that they're not cheap though. Her suggestion was that I could sell the Clio too and that would fund for a better one. Then daily drive the Boxster ... or maybe sell that too and buy another MK3 MX-5 (which she also loves). At this point I think she was getting carried away with herself - not least selling all my cars... There was brief mention about selling the MGB, which I quickly shot down bef.

Why don't you get a Countrymans, was the next query. Now Mrs SiC really isn't into her cars but she still has a small knowledge on them. But why a Countrymans? "It's just like Nanny had!", referring to her great grandmother who she held an awful lot of affection for. Aha! That's why she's so enthusiastic for the Mini then. 

Unfortunately Countrymans are quite a bit pricer - far more than I'd want to spend on a mini. But that's ok as Nanny used to love her Minis and had a few over the years.

I think that this really does concrete the fact that I'll be getting a Mini next...! 

Sorry E28, your time with me may not be quite as long as I expected. Haven't even got it through the bloody test yet either.

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Had "the conversation" with Mrs SiC about the fleet and the BMW in particular. I explained how the parts situation (cost and supply) dampened my enthusiasm for it. Also as it's a big car, ....

The E28 isn't actually that big, but it is more upright than the contemporary E24 which uses much of the E28 floorpan and IIRC the E24 is a bit longer. Not big by today's standards; today's 3-series is getting on for the same size and may actually be bigger/bulkier than that.

There was a fella in St. Albans who I used to visit on and off in my E24 days; Duncan was one of a tight-knit band of inveterate E28 tinkerers on the BMW5 Forum who ran a white 535i, and had a garage stuffed with E28 bits in it. I think he still lives there; must take the CX up and see if I can catch him at it one weekend. 

I once volunteered to do a parts collection/swap run for him and another equally mad fella named Tristan who had, in addition to his own E28 528i, had also managed to acquire an ancient E12 M535i with quite a lot of Alpina bits on it. That run took all day and involved fighting the traffic to get to one end of London, and then fighting it again to come all the way back - including getting stuck near the Woolwich Ferry (which had a long queue) and doing a detour coming back via Rotherhithe, by which time it was getting dark....

I digress.

Mr SiC be careful with them there minis. I had about six of the damn things when I had hair and everyone of them was a needy sod.

Noisy bouncy (I did like the wet one I had) and generally you’ll want a 1380 and a SC box too. Then the woodruff will keep popping out the flywheel, or the exhaust brackets will snap, or it’ll die in the rain.

When they work though they’re just fantastic. We used to go night eventing in them, this involved a mile on the speedo and hiding. Managed to flatten a door handle squeezing under a canal bridge hiding from the other teams one night. This was in the days when you deseamed the rear as it saved you buying a bumper that had dissolved.

Yes buy one.

23 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

The E28 isn't actually that big

It's a pretty long car even by modern standards. I expected it to be quite a bit shorter than it is, given it's a 35yr old car.

For comparison:

BMW 5 Series (E28)

Wheelbase 2,625 mm (103.3 in)

Length 4,620 mm (181.9 in)

Width 1,700 mm (66.9 in)

Height 1,415 mm (55.7 in)

Volkswagen Golf Mk7 Hatch

Wheelbase 2,637 mm (103.8 in) 2,620 mm (103 in) (2016 Facelift)

Length 4,255 mm (167.5 in)

Width 1,799 mm (70.8 in)

Height 1,452 mm (57.2 in)

BMW 3 Series (F30)

Wheelbase 2,810–2,920 mm (110.6–115.0 in)

Length 4,620–4,824 mm (181.9–189.9 in)

Width 1,811–1,828 mm (71.3–72.0 in)

Height 1,430–1,508 mm (56.3–59.4 in)

Laguna II

Wheelbase 2,748 mm (108.2 in)
Length Hatchback: 4,576 mm (180.2 in)
Estate: 4,695 mm (184.8 in)
Width 1,772 mm (69.8 in)
Height Hatchback: 1,429 mm (56.3 in)
Estate: 1,443 mm (56.8 in)

So yes, similar size to the one before just released 3 series and similar to our 2010 A4. Width is less on the E28, but that's not a huge difference though. Wider arches and longer wing mirrors will make up a lot of that too. Saying the E28 5-series is not big because the F30 3-series is similar size doesn't get around the fact the dimensions are still large. Those are all big cars and not the easiest to hustle around narrow lanes. Longer than even modern, lardy family hatches like the Focus, Golf, etc.

3 hours ago, chaseracer said:

Hi-po Cummins with damn nearly a thousand torques?  WHERE DO I SIGN??!?

😄

Between 2327 and 2329 rpm you have 900+ lbft. Outside of that you have 212 lbft.

The Renault will beat one of those from 55 to 90, but the Cummins will pull a house down. They're incredibly peaky and people buy them on the peak figures, but the engine is designed as a one-speed hauler.

31 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Between 2327 and 2329 rpm you have 900+ lbft. Outside of that you have 212 lbft.

The Renault will beat one of those from 55 to 90, but the Cummins will pull a house down. They're incredibly peaky and people buy them on the peak figures, but the engine is designed as a one-speed hauler.

Basically intended for installation in a proper big commercial vehicle with about 15 gears then.