The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

To be sure of what was leaking, I soaked some up with some kitchen roll. It's gear oil alright, looks like it's coming from the gear selector on top. Unsure how it can be stopped or if it was overfilled when it has a gear oil refresh.

On 4/12/2021 at 1:37 PM, wuvvum said:

Just spunked out another 32 quid on the Innocenti - I'd found a seller on eBay.it who had an engine mount in stock, emailed them to ask if they'd post to the UK and they came back saying "we don't post internationally via eBay".  That suggested to me that they would post internationally via other means, so I found their "main" online shop and sure enough they offered overseas shipping.  So I ordered one.  The old crate might yet see the road again this year.  Although once it's MOT'd I'll need to do the clutch, which is going to be a pain as I have no idea what clutch it uses and I won't be able to find out for sure until it's in bits, which could be a chore if it needs some obscure part which I have to order from Japan or something.

I'll probably end up spending more in bits than what the car's worth, but I can console myself with the fact that I actually have absolutely no idea what the car is worth, so I can pretend to myself that because it's sort of a Mini it's worth roughly the same as my house.

Had an email this afternoon telling me that my payment for the engine mount has been refunded.  No explanation as to why, but I went on the website and the mount is now showing as being out of stock.  FFS - that was the last place that (supposedly) had any in.

I've now contacted the manufacturer direct to see if they have any available, but I'm not holding my breath...

The curse of ordering parts on Aliexpress has come true. Despite me pointing out repeatedly that I need a front left door lock for a UK spec mg6, I've received a lock for a Chinese spec Roewe 550. 

Which is identical, apart from the wiring connection which is 8 pin instead of the 6 pin on a mg6. Fuck sticks.  Looks like I'm returning this one and trying eBay again.

18 hours ago, wuvvum said:

Had an email this afternoon telling me that my payment for the engine mount has been refunded.  No explanation as to why, but I went on the website and the mount is now showing as being out of stock.  FFS - that was the last place that (supposedly) had any in.

I've now contacted the manufacturer direct to see if they have any available, but I'm not holding my breath...

Presumably the mount is unique to the Innocenti, and no mounts from other cars can be adapted to suit?

6 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Presumably the mount is unique to the Innocenti, and no mounts from other cars can be adapted to suit?

I've been looking for anything similar.  A couple of Daihatsu mounts look like they might fit, but the problem is that they come as a complete unit with the metalastic bush bonded into the metal bracket - I just need the round metalastic bit.  I was looking at mounts for the Daihatsu Move (similar engine, readily available) which look roughly the right size, but the mounting hole is in the middle whereas on the Innocenti it is off centre.

1 hour ago, LabRat said:

The curse of ordering parts on Aliexpress has come true. Despite me pointing out repeatedly that I need a front left door lock for a UK spec mg6, I've received a lock for a Chinese spec Roewe 550. 

Which is identical, apart from the wiring connection which is 8 pin instead of the 6 pin on a mg6. Fuck sticks.  Looks like I'm returning this one and trying eBay again.

Can't you modify the MG loom/connector to suit that lock? Sounds like that's a more plentiful supply option than the correct one. Or if the gubbins are the same inside, swap that between them and make one good unit?