The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Got the Cav back.

Guy showed me some more pictures of the job and some extra fabrication which was required, all looks good. Price 

We chatted for a bit and it turns out he is a bit of a fan of these cars as his dad had a fair few of them. So I may be back, but not for welding.

The battery is on its last legs so he took it off to charge it for a bit. The immobiliser seems to have disarmed itself and the led is pulsing really fast. You don't seem to need the chip  in the dash to start it any longer. Weird.

Onwards this afternoon with a new distributor  and rotor arm. Its still not 100% happy and you can feel it want to misfire if you go up a hill.

Sold a car 3 weeks ago, had the confirmation slip through that in no longer the keeper but the DVLA have kindly taken a direct debit for road tax for it. Does it refund automatically or will I have to crush my soul on the phone to them? 

14 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

The immobiliser seems to have disarmed itself and the led is pulsing really fast. You don't seem to need the chip  in the dash to start it any longer. Weird.

Is the immobiliser an aftermarket unit? I invariably rip out any aftermarket alarm or immobiliser where I can as they invariably cause problems and are shit. Almost always badly installed back in the day - whether professional in a dealer/dockside/shop or DIY.

16 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

Sold a car 3 weeks ago, had the confirmation slip through that in no longer the keeper but the DVLA have kindly taken a direct debit for road tax for it. Does it refund automatically or will I have to crush my soul on the phone to them? 

It should refund automatically. 

Apparently they can get a bit angry if you cancel Direct Debits. 

28 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

Automatic refund I believe.

Goes quite fast that car if it's the same one.

38 minutes ago, SiC said:

Is the immobiliser an aftermarket unit? I invariably rip out any aftermarket alarm or immobiliser where I can as they invariably cause problems and are shit. Almost always badly installed back in the day - whether professional in a dealer/dockside/shop or DIY.

Yes its an old Foxguard item.

I'm not good enough at electrics to go ripping it out but apparently its an easy job for an auto sparkie to do. I don't really want to spend any more money on it until it gets an MOT so something for later perhaps.

1 minute ago, Stanky said:

Asda own-brand wiper blades are both reasonably long-lived, and very cheap. My go-to source for these things now.

The BX's Goodyear front tyres were sourced from Asda, funnily enough.

4 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

The BX's Goodyear front tyres were sourced from Asda, funnily enough.

I think some of the thinking of Wal-Mart from over the pond has been good for Asda - their automotive section actually isn't bad, and is competitively priced compared with the equivalent items from the mainstream factors.

I often check Asda tyres, but for whatever reason they haven't had what I need or I can get them cheaper from the likes of Tyreleader or Camskill - still worth a sniff though.

11 minutes ago, Stanky said:

I think some of the thinking of Wal-Mart from over the pond has been good for Asda - their automotive section actually isn't bad, and is competitively priced compared with the equivalent items from the mainstream factors.

I often check Asda tyres, but for whatever reason they haven't had what I need or I can get them cheaper from the likes of Tyreleader or Camskill - still worth a sniff though.

Indeed, they were my saving grace when I couldn't get a matching set of tyres. I'll definitely use them in future if Camskill or Oponeo doesn't have anything to offer.

1 hour ago, davehedgehog31 said:

It should refund automatically. 

Apparently they can get a bit angry if you cancel Direct Debits. 

I can confirm this, having had one of my bank accounts blacklisted for doing that very thing.

40 minutes ago, PhilA said:

Modern rubber parts are terrible.

Yep.  I don't find that expensive Bosch wipers last any longer nowadays than the £2.79 jobs from Roys of Wroxham.

17 hours ago, MikeR said:

on a happy note , I am in the dog house again .

got my first covid jab and my 2nd was booked some 11 weeks ago ....

today , her indoors splashes lots of sacks of dosh on a new static tin box and is ready to pick up the keys ...

except my 2nd covid jab is booked when the deal can be done ....

if I go for the jab ..I die

if I dont go for the jab ..... I die

its my fault

And she's not happy with her sister, either, it seems. 

Who said, we couldn't look after your kids, because we have to go and look at Kitchens.   

45 minutes ago, Stanky said:

Asda own-brand wiper blades are both reasonably long-lived, and very cheap. My go-to source for these things now.

I bought a pair of slightly too big arm assemblies for the Pontiac, so I could strip the rubber out and fit it to the car; $1.99 each

For that price if they only last a couple months it's not terrible.

They won't last even they long, probably. The first set I put on have gone all hard and chatter across the screen already.

New dizzy and rotor arm has cured the misfire under load.

20210413_135038.thumb.jpg.6bafdfba31c0b78b15a0042c20595930.jpg

I don't like this though.

20210413_135042.thumb.jpg.05bb65cda26ef64120fcb3da4c288db0.jpg

New stepper motor on order and I have a spare loom now so I'm just going to replace everything from the scotchlock up to the motor.

Now for an oil change and filter, 15 w 40. 

16183188209124638756009694453560.thumb.jpg.263cae623771d121c6984e4ea1f4c5cb.jpg

3 hours ago, PhilA said:

I said to the wife that it would fit. She said it was too expensive to do.

It's a '66

Doing a little research shows that the poly-head 318 can be fitted with modern "magnum" heads (they just bolt on) for a significant computer designed improvement to the engine.

That also means the fuel injection manifold fits.

Mmm.

Phil

Picked up the right filter from ECP, it was twice the size of the original which I think was for a small block GM unit. I'll do the filter tomorrow afternoon as I'm on holiday all week.

Washed, waxed and polished. Good to see it and the Corsa next to each other.

20210413_170303.thumb.jpg.4cfd496dafaaa629e35d041eaba3dbaa.jpg20210413_170421.thumb.jpg.fe358f03ddc4cca22d61ce4a8a8fad9d.jpg20210413_170602.thumb.jpg.61c21264749c129cf294be00e112eca2.jpg20210413_170610.thumb.jpg.006200c7bd67454cc76c9f61d0af87c2.jpg

..and one of the whole fleet together.

20210413_170406.thumb.jpg.5073504185349de7a6137643c24efacd.jpg

3 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

New stepper motor on order and I have a spare loom now so I'm just going to replace everything from the scotchlock up to the motor

Pendant mode, that’s not a scotchlock. 

51lbGheSIPL._AC_UL160_.jpg.ac49be1c2636eed847435e7ca0f7e6ac.jpg

That is a scotchlock,  and as a connector is even worse than the block in your loom.

You are probably better off without it either way.

5 hours ago, Fumbler said:

Micra's rear wiper split this morning and the fronts are going the same way. Lucas wipers which are just over 1 year old too. Happily, though, the new brake pads have completely solved my cooked brake issue. Win.

I think I get 3 months out of wipers on the Acclaim if I'm lucky. They start squeaking after a couple of weeks, suspect the screen might be pitted enough to be mildly abrasive...