The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

16 minutes ago, Heidel_Kakao said:

That does look lovely, big RWD estates are one of my most favourite things!

If I could afford that and a family daily, I would buy it with no hesitation.  Mrs L1 has said OK.

But that becomes the car for winter.  And France. And ferrying chickens.  And everything.  

I can't do that to it.  Or what would happen to me..

1 hour ago, dozeydustman said:

Is this a grump or a grin?

E8E00C35-8764-4F6A-A2A9-7BA52BC8D61A.thumb.jpeg.c7e9a71f0503a19bc90ed0a4e6a21ef2.jpeg

That doesn't mean the site has been compromised. It means you have reused the password too much and another site you've used it on has been compromised. It'd probably be worth investigating using a password manager and unique passwords for each site. 

57 minutes ago, loserone said:

Yep that's it. Isn't it fuckin wonderful ? Only one 505 beats this and that would be a Dangel one. Just the thought of one makes me have trouser moments.

1 hour ago, Dick Longbridge said:

Love it. Haven't ridden a horse for around thirty years now, but have really wanted to give it a.go again over the last couple of years. Was all set to book a riding morning together with a local company for Mrs L's birthday until she announced that she reckoned she'd 'constantly need a wee'. Bugger. 

Edit: Back in the subject of the Landie, you've got to wonder what sort of ridiculous coin the owner has spent on that setup...

Having a weak bladder doesn't preclude a hack. A friend of mine is notorious for random dismounts and then disappearing behind a wall or hedge, followed by the distinct sound of running water. I think she's marked her territory over several square miles of prime farming land now. Her mare is so used to it that she stands and waits for the remount. Me, I'm like a camel.

The Land Rover camper is comedy. The upper deck extends beyond the roof, with a ladder down to the ground. This leaves a section between the end of the roof and the ladder completely unsupported. God only knows what it cost.

2 hours ago, Jazoli said:

And now part one of the exterior cleaning is done

zUG7dNH.thumb.jpg.aea7826523a618eede103715fb459c33.jpg

These 9-3 floppytops are superb value for money these days, mine is one of my favourite cars I've had. Wife drives it now so it'll be kept untill it dies. 

Incidentally I picked up your old 307cc from Chancer through the week, another cracking machine 👍

3 minutes ago, SRi05 said:

These 9-3 floppytops are superb value for money these days, mine is one of my favourite cars I've had. Wife drives it now so it'll be kept untill it dies. 

Incidentally I picked up your old 307cc from Chancer through the week, another cracking machine 👍

Oh you bought it did you! I hesitated as I was going to buy it back then changed my mind and he posted it as sold, its a great old bus and served us well, we did 50k in it, I'd do the cambelt if it's due as it was the last thing for us to do on it.

I'm really happy with the Saab, and a petrol engine is better for the driving I do.

13 minutes ago, Jazoli said:

Oh you bought it did you! I hesitated as I was going to buy it back then changed my mind and he posted it as sold, its a great old bus and served us well, we did 50k in it, I'd do the cambelt if it's due as it was the last thing for us to do on it.

I'm really happy with the Saab, and a petrol engine is better for the driving I do.

Yep it's still in the fold, I'm pretty impressed with it as well. Bags of torque, nice light clutch. Surprisingly spacious and comfortable inside as well for a small motor.  Been kept in good nick 

This weekend I have mostly been fighting losing battles with brakes.

On Saturday I thought I'd get the front pads done on the Innocenti.  Jacked it up, got the nearside caliper off, levered the pads out (the inner pad was almost down to the metal) to find that they bear absolutely no resemblance to the pads I bought to replace them.  A bit of quick Internet searching revealed that they are in fact standard 12" Mini pads - so at least they're cheap, I've ordered a set off eBay for less than a tenner.  While I was under there I had another look at the exhaust to see if it was repairable - I gave the rusty section a scrub with the wire brush to clean it up and it basically fell to bits.  So that will be a no then.  I've now splashed out £77 for a new centre section - not exactly cheap but the cheapest I've seen one in a long while, and not too excessive given that it's got to come from Italy.  The existing centre section is welded onto the downpipe so I'll have to take the grinder to it, which I'm not particularly looking forward to (I might chicken out and use a hacksaw instead).

Then I thought I'd have a look at the offside front caliper on the Renault 6, to see if I could stop it from sticking.  It'd been a while since I'd had the front wheels off and I'd forgotten what a weird-ass design the calipers are - no slider bolts or anything sensible like that, everything's held together with split pins and spring clips, and reading the manual these have to be replaced every time the caliper is taken apart.  So I left that one and I'll continue with the method I've been using for the last few years, carrying a rubber mallet in the car so I can twat the caliper when it sticks on.  When the car's in regular use it's not too bad anyway - in 2019 I drove 300 miles to the FOTU and back and didn't have to use the mallet once.

Today I had a crack at bleeding the brakes on the Carina E to try and get rid of the spongy pedal.  I've not really done anything with the brakes since I've had the car and the rear bleed nipples are very rusty, but both came undone with a little persuasion.  Bled all four wheels using an Eezibleed stuck in a mug of brake fluid, put everything back together, took the car for a drive and it's made bugger all difference.  There's still a load of air in the system somewhere.  I took it down a little back road and tried doing a couple of emergency stops - it pulls up pretty sharp, certainly a lot quicker than I ever have to stop "in anger", but not quite enough to trigger the ABS on dry tarmac, so I don't know if they'd pass the MOT.  I'll have another go next week with the vacuum bleeder and see if that helps.  I'm still not sure how the air got into the system - I left it standing for a couple of months over the winter, it was fine when I laid it up but when I got back in the pedal was squishy as feck.

I also failed to get the Spacy to start.  I cleaned out the carb earlier in the week (it wasn't actually too bad although there were a couple of bits of crap in the float bowl which could potentially have obstructed a jet), put it back together and it didn't want to know.  I'm not convinced it's getting enough fuel through - taking the fuel line off the carb whilst cranking the engine results in a few rather pathetic drips coming through, although oddly if I take the vacuum pipe off the inlet and suck on it the fuel flows freely, albeit with a bit of a leak from the fuel tap - I think that might be where the issue is, it's a cheap Chinesium job which wasn't  a perfect fit.  I will leave further investigation to warmer weather though.  It's definitely got a spark as it fired straight up on a sniff of Easystart.

Last week I had a voicemail from a mate saying that he'd found a car he wanted to buy and asking me if I'd be able to drive it back for him.  A couple of hours later he left me another message saying not to worry as he'd bought a van.  So Saturday evening I jumped in the Renault 6 and drove up to his place to see what he'd bought.  I took the 6 as I wanted to test out the upgraded headlight bulbs I fitted a couple of weeks ago - the verdict is that they're great but the extra load they put on the alternator was making the belt squeal - turned out it was looser than a whore's drawers so I tightened that up today and all is now well.  I was assuming that he'd bought a Combo or a Berlingo or something, but when I got there I found he'd bought himself a 57-plate 12-seater LDV Maxus minibus.  I obviously congratulated him on his excellent taste in commercial vehicles.  It's the 105bhp version which I've never tried - one of mine was 95 and the other was 120.  It's a MWB so a bit more manoeuvrable than the ones I had, but it's still a high top so plenty of room to stand up inside it.  He's going to turn it into a camper.

It does take up rather a lot of space in his garden though, so he had to get rid of something to make some room - as a result of which an old friend has rejoined the wuvvum fleet after an absence of several years.

DSC_1567.thumb.JPG.b577a30c7de86ce105fab5eeb1e3528d.JPG

9 hours ago, SiC said:

That doesn't mean the site has been compromised. It means you have reused the password too much and another site you've used it on has been compromised. It'd probably be worth investigating using a password manager and unique passwords for each site. 

The data leak only appeared after i signed up to tdw, although agreed it could be from any number of the other sites. Passwords have been changed but since I only lurk at tdw I may just close the account.

I’ve forgotten also how nasty a handful of the membership can be on there.

Felt all smug this morning as the neighbours were scraping their cars in the minus 4 April weather. Opened the Rangey passenger door to chuck my stuff in and fired it up, switched on the heated screen and went to find the dug to stick him in the back. Came back, ready to go and the fucking door mechanism was frozen open. ARSE

Luckily it defrosted after a few miles and latched so I could release the ratchet strap I'd used to hold it shut🙈

10 hours ago, dozeydustman said:

The data leak only appeared after i signed up to tdw, although agreed it could be from any number of the other sites. Passwords have been changed but since I only lurk at tdw I may just close the account.

I’ve forgotten also how nasty a handful of the membership can be on there.

A bit like here then. Or exactly like here.

I'm on both. There's a decent mix on both. The password thing I had from a work site exactly the same as you describe. Changed it, then back and nothing. Odd indeed.

Edited by red5
Line to like. Just incase, you know, he's watching.

3 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Being a Toyota Perv, I'd like to see this.  Has it ever been papped on the hallowed beige pages? (beiges?)

WLTM

It's probably been in the background of a few shots, but I haven't taken "proper" photos of it since the ones I took when I first inherited it - I did post on here at the time but the post seems to have disappeared and Photofuckit has nommed the original pictures.  :roll:

I will take some more at some point - probably after I've given it a wash.

12 minutes ago, red5 said:

A bit line here then. Or exactly like here.

I'm on both. There's a decent mix on both. The password thing I had from a work site exactly the same as you describe. Changed it, then back and nothing. Odd indeed.

The people I think of as nasty, spamming or trolls are invariably ignored on here, either the magic button or just scroll past. Likewise there are more than likely people on here who think I'm a bit of a twunt.

Thankfully I've switched on the random password generator on my MacBook and the issues appear to have gone away, so if the data leak comes back I'll close my account on the affected site(s). I noticed though they only appeared after I signed in on my work laptop on Saturday.

51 minutes ago, red5 said:

Or exactly like here.

I'm on both. There's a decent mix on both. 

Everything here x1000.  

I join in on both (moreso here because I've got pages of my own thread) and there are decent folk there and twats here, just as there are twats there and decent folk here.  It's almost like it's representative of life.  There are nice people everywhere, and there's a twat born every minute.  I miss a few of the old faces from the old days but most of them are over there, one or two on PH and sadly, in the case of @Junkman,MIA.  I hope he's well - perhaps @Conrad D. Conelradcould pass on my regards.

I keep putting off resetting a load of my old passwords even though Chrome repeatedly shouts at me to do so.  I might make that a project for later on.

Just spunked out another 32 quid on the Innocenti - I'd found a seller on eBay.it who had an engine mount in stock, emailed them to ask if they'd post to the UK and they came back saying "we don't post internationally via eBay".  That suggested to me that they would post internationally via other means, so I found their "main" online shop and sure enough they offered overseas shipping.  So I ordered one.  The old crate might yet see the road again this year.  Although once it's MOT'd I'll need to do the clutch, which is going to be a pain as I have no idea what clutch it uses and I won't be able to find out for sure until it's in bits, which could be a chore if it needs some obscure part which I have to order from Japan or something.

I'll probably end up spending more in bits than what the car's worth, but I can console myself with the fact that I actually have absolutely no idea what the car is worth, so I can pretend to myself that because it's sort of a Mini it's worth roughly the same as my house.

Finished the welding on the corner of the van. I've no idea if it's the correct shape but everything fits correctly and it's now all solid. I'm removing all the side strips as well as the reskinned doors didn't have the fixings for the cladding. It looked odd with just the cladding on the van body so I've ground all the clips off and going for the smooth look😀. The intention is to make it look like an earlier van anyway so it will fit in nicely with the pignose front end it's going to get fitted. Just need to get down to Plymouth and pick up the lower front valence panel.

IMG_20210412_131749305_HDR.thumb.jpg.af86b23c861933af25209e1b9073489e.jpgIMG_20210412_132123723.thumb.jpg.77a101c5d378ee329174b29d374f0b0f.jpgIMG_20210412_132146863_HDR.thumb.jpg.3171398e0ee68814d27902bd1d41cc1b.jpgIMG_20210412_131707198.thumb.jpg.cab32fbb28281a95b1c988e6bd22a129.jpg

Some may have seen that my moped was broken for a month, until last Thursday. It resumed commuting duties today. When it snowed!

In other news, if one more person asks if I'm having a good first day back at work .........     I've been back 11 months! 

26 minutes ago, Chris2cv said:

In other news, if one more person asks if I'm having a good first day back at work .........     I've been back 11 months

We never closed and have barely had any days off in over the year. Yet people still ask if  we’re open yet! Brain mush virus has removed many peoples capacity for rational thought.