The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

1 hour ago, HillmanImp said:

We're putting our house up for sale and they're coming round to take photos today. 

I feel really bad as I've had to move Meg to make the place look tidier. 

I mean its not that Meg is unsightly but I just need less cars on the drive and the Mazda does look a bit better in pictures for the average Joe I guess. 

I've heard that the first impression is the most important to many buyers. Eg, Only having one car on the drive can make the front look more spacious. Space = good. 

8 hours ago, SiC said:

Hopefully you don't get as much hassle selling as we did! Different market now though.

The purple, rotten in progress 1100 had to go because of the "clutter" on the drive it caused was affecting viewings. I still regret not being in a position to have bought your GT6. Those now seem to have sailed away from me price wise. 

Hopefully should sell quite quickly, like you say its a bit mental the housing market at the moment. However there's naff all for sale if it does. There's only one house we like and if that goes its back to square one unless something else comes to the market. 

Not heard anything of the GT6 yet. Not sure what the lads plans were. His mate had a MGB with a diseasel engine from a montego in it so it could be interesting. 

7 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

I've heard that the first impression is the most important to many buyers. Eg, Only having one car on the drive can make the front look more spacious. Space = good. 

If they do a recce they'll be disappointed but if they turn up on the day it'll just be the 944 and Mazda on show with the Subaru and Visa parked down the road. 

20 minutes ago, SiC said:

If you were more local and not the other end of the country, I'd have popped over and done than within a couple of hours tops. That's me at my super slow working speeds too. 

Cheers Si,  it hasn't crept into the surrounding bodywork and its literally the most accessible bit of the car with nothing in the way!

The nice thing about the Mini in question is that it looks completely standard, and is in a good colour outside and in. Obviously, whoever buys it can do what they like, but it may end up turned into a Cooper S replica with all its history obliterated if it is sold.

I've only had one Mini, also a 1000 , but in Citron, bought off my brother sans MoT for £30  and sold to a friend of his, with an MoT about  6 months later for £175. That was in 1988. 

26 minutes ago, Split_Pin said:

He's now said he can sort it no problem, he just couldn't have welded it with the towbar in place. Why the tone of the original message?

Im having a beer!

It's probably the text message version of '(stands back, shakes head slowly and tuts) ooh that's a big job, that is'.

42 minutes ago, louiepj said:

The other half was on phone with her friend who was moaning as her husband wants to get her a Saab 9-3 convertible 2004 with 90k miles, mot till September for £250 off of a work colleague.
I cannot see the problem myself emoji848.png

Me either I just paid 5 times that for one :)

Next time I will believe/double check  the google sat nav hints

it told me about the M6 north bound  pile up near Jtn 26 ,here is a new route , which I ignored ....

I was south bound ,  then I saw the q to get off at my junction !!!!!, it was .. interesting

but all was not lost , thanks to my memory used the outside lane after the slip road to get to the M58 and overtook hundreds of cars/vans/trucks  trying to go south on the M6.

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

The nice thing about the Mini in question is that it looks completely standard, and is in a good colour outside and in. Obviously, whoever buys it can do what they like, but it may end up turned into a Cooper S replica with all its history obliterated if it is sold.

I've only had one Mini, also a 1000 , but in Citron, bought off my brother sans MoT for £30  and sold to a friend of his, with an MoT about  6 months later for £175. That was in 1988. 

it nearly got "cooperised"! 

i bought it off a young lad, Ryan, who bought it in 2011. he paid a whopping £450, i think for it, running with an MOT.

the body was good save the 2 doors, which were pretty poor.

he then spent the next 2 or 3 years buying "cobra" seats and daft wheels for it, the roof painted white before his father said to him "no, leave the car as it is, there aren't any unmolested ones left...." and so it got the roof repainted, the the door bottoms replaced and painted and then-

and then Ryan discovered drinking in pubs and dancing with girls, and the car was abandoned in its shed until i got it in December 2017.

when i put the car back together the look i was after was how a mini looked like back in the late 1970sand 1980s, when they were just common second cars and general runabouts, so the steel wheels stayed, with early version full hubcaps, as did the big steering wheel, and the original seats.

the carpet isn't upto much, i put it in, and next time i'm going to pay someone who knows what they are doing to fit it! getting a maroon carpet was hard enough, i found that while it was trimmed to fit there were no holes for the likes of the gearstick and the like. i had to cut them out! the seats are pretty good, especially for 47 year old vinyl, save the top of the back seat which is jiggered, hence the blanket over the seat back. and the dash trim has been in and put, in and out, so its not like some cars where those bits are like new. but, it all falls into the look i was after, that of a loved mini when they were common second cars like i remember from the olden dayz!

1 hour ago, louiepj said:

The other half was on phone with her friend who was moaning as her husband wants to get her a Saab 9-3 convertible 2004 with 90k miles, mot till September for £250 off of a work colleague.
I cannot see the problem myself emoji848.png

my folks, especially me mam, would be horrified at such a car! 

i can hear it now "its soooooo old" and "its done soooo many miles" and "its sooooo old......."

my mam asked about the Rover earlier in the new year, when it was in dock for an alternator.

my reply, that it was an October 2001 car with 205,000 miles on the clock, had her go pale!

38 minutes ago, juular said:

@Split_Pin That really does look trivial. If he was feeling particularly lazy he could have cut up a bit of 2mm angle iron and glued it on. 

How many other professions turn away easy money like garages do? 

Hopefully that does mean it's getting fixed?

If he wasn't up for fixing it I have had several kind offers from fellow shiters. I'm still visiting them for some welding tuition in any case.

I've ordered the Mig welder I have had my eye on too, so this silly situation can be avoided in the future!