The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

On 4/3/2021 at 9:07 PM, somewhatfoolish said:

Late registration madness with the X1/9?

The last year of X1/9 sales was on a "G", and as far as I know they were all "Gran Finale" models.  I had two, both Blue and both on a "G", exactly like the one in the picture.

I've never seen one on an "H" though.  That would be late registration.

Not sure where best to share this but spotted this handy list of planned 2021 car shows, which might be of interest to some people:

https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/events-articles/motoring-events-in-2021-relight-your-fire-with-automotive-goodness-every-weekend/?fbclid=IwAR3-9r229Egw24FXn97ZDDPtFf27jTyglu5ChfFK6IsfARTGDg9jKfzJsxI

Polished up the headlamps a treat. Wet and dry sandpaper and then plast x with a drill attachment. They weren't bad just needed doing and looks miles better. Acetone on the middle grille has brought it back to chrome which also look better, but I may just get another as the Saab lettering has its silver paint wear off. Unfortunately the wind tipped over my whole bottle so I can't do the other 2 but another bottle is on order. Loving this car.

IMG_20210405_134821.jpg

This hose reel holder has been attached to the side of our house, certainly since we bought it nine years ago, and I suspect an awful lot longer than that. 

IMG_20210404_150223.thumb.jpg.dcfc0dd8e039de5cbb85bb2381fff7cc.jpg

It's been getting fragile for a few years and finally let go last week. 

IMG_20210404_150230.thumb.jpg.5eb12cc0cefe5cca0c7e1105b57b62b0.jpg

What was left on the wall looked like some sort of medieval torture device. 

IMG_20210404_151910.thumb.jpg.574ec6990c9ca13e1ad7861451fa984d.jpg

So I needed a replacement and had a little rummage in the garage. 

And came out with this. 

IMG_20210405_142534.thumb.jpg.c67998bfd54c9a2998a098bcc3ae238a.jpg

I hope to clean and polish it in the next few days. What could be cooler than having a Dolomite Sprint wheel stuck to the side of your house, and actually serving a purpose too. 

Even better, it's held on to the wall by two Triumph 1300 sump bolts. 

IMG_20210405_140706.thumb.jpg.9d2b0458d2601ab143996d7e9dc56c6b.jpg

These were the longest bolts I had. They still don't quite stick out the other side but there's enough length to keep the wheel in place quite happily. If I turned the wheel round they would poke through but then it wouldn't look like a Sprint wheel would it? 

I have tried drilling a slightly bigger hole on the inside of the wall (it's only a single skinned porch) to recess nuts into. 

IMG_20210405_142548.thumb.jpg.b39678626fc97298e04c09dccc5a1d11.jpg

This is a trial fitting. I'm not going to do it properly until I've cleaned the wheel up and even then I might not bother as it seems to be sitting there quite happily as it is. 

Thank fk that’s over Not surprisingly I found more work was required but done now. I also have a list to tackle over the next few months....but it is at least ready for work this week.

By way of a change I finished the machining of my cylinder head holder. This will allow me to hold the cylinder head from an old pedal and pop moped I’m building up, and skim it in the lathe. 

Too many projects and not enough time.

51246573-A9FA-463D-9ECF-CE5B9CB6F08B.jpeg

019E46D4-0DE5-4A32-9E84-E39330846234.jpeg

16 hours ago, ruffgeezer said:

Had a go at starting this big metal slag today... 

IMG_20210404_172225.thumb.jpg.3615e9ad9a15124dca2d90ebf672af08.jpg

With the decompression lever open, it turns quite freely, and is a lot tighter with it shut which is positive. 

It doesn't appear to draw any fuel from the overhead tank, but that may e as the level in it is low. 

I can't see anywhere on it to set it to a starting position as mentioned in the manual, so I might have to clean it up some more tomorrow before I give it another go. 

IMG_20210404_172219.jpg

IMG_20210404_171400.jpg

IMG_20210404_171353.jpg

IMG_20210404_172230.jpg

Still no real joy, there's a thud through the exhaust but no real sign of life. 

7 minutes ago, ruffgeezer said:

Still no real joy, there's a thud through the exhaust but no real sign of life. 

Have you bled the fuel system through? There is not much else to go wrong with these. Make sure there is fuel in the tank and wind over with the decompressor lever engaged a few dozen turns. Crack off the fuel supply line a couple of turns or so and wind over until fuel comes out from the joint.  Close up the pipe fitting almost all the way, then wind over whilst nipping it up. Wind up to a fair speed and drop the compressor lever and sit back in a cloud of smoke and noise.

Had a reasonably productive weekend, though Saturday was a write off due to Covid jab reaction. 

Got rear differential installed, new fuel lines run and most of rear suspension back in place. 

Did manage to find a leaky brake pipe so that's another job to add to the list.

Even had a helper for some of it, though he disappeared before the fun* bit of installing a 34 year old composite spring which require more jacking tension than seemed reasonable.

PXL_20210405_132931646.MP.jpg

PXL_20210405_141534202.MP.jpg

PXL_20210405_114156649.MP.jpg

1 hour ago, Saabnut said:

Have you bled the fuel system through? There is not much else to go wrong with these. Make sure there is fuel in the tank and wind over with the decompressor lever engaged a few dozen turns. Crack off the fuel supply line a couple of turns or so and wind over until fuel comes out from the joint.  Close up the pipe fitting almost all the way, then wind over whilst nipping it up. Wind up to a fair speed and drop the compressor lever and sit back in a cloud of smoke and noise.

Yeah I think it'll benefit from some more fuel in the tank, I might grab a can of fresh diesel as the nearest place to get red is a fair way out of my way. 

12 hours ago, Lord Sterling said:

Hmmm. I might* be able to sort out the clicking check-strap on the drivers door of the 407. Out of interest I was looking at it yesterday and noticed that one of the 10mm nuts were missing and other was very loose. I tightened up one with a handy 10mm spanner I keep in the car and the closing and opening the door was much quieter. I have some spare 10mm nuts so will try and fit one after work.

Edit*

Replacement wheel has just arrived:

20210405_110053.thumb.jpg.0fedac785e16312b4343349e3fe5a286.jpg

The tyre is better than one currently on it.

Sadly the badge is missing but I could probably grab one off the current wheel or something. Its not important and can wait. This means I can take the car for a wash too on my next day off.

Yep! Sorted out the door. No more clicking for the check strap! All it needed was one nut tightening and another added and tightened. Silver nut at the bottom is the newly added nut.

20210405_173821.thumb.jpg.b35ec0e99496c0703307c9d697804a48.jpg

Silent door opening and closing now in motion.

Wheel has been unwrapped, cleaned and put into the boot. I haven't got my breaker bar so will grab on my next day off and swap the wheel over.

The tyre on it is almost like new but one of those craply named 'Goodride' tyre. Its a lot better than the one on the incorrect alloy which is starting to crack along the sidewall.

Should anyone have watched top gear yesterday, the two lancias are looked after by All Italia in wrexham that now do my x1/9.

also, this is a link to car sos on the jenson interceptor that I saw at goodwood last November. Not watched it yet, but I may be in the background on the track.

https://dai.ly/x801mds

https://dai.ly/x801mds

Looks like we've nearly got us a racing car...

Shell (with aluminium roof) painted and permanently attached to the chassis, suspension connected, steering functional, braking system complete, gearbox checked and in, wiring well on the way, instrumentation mostly done.  That's a week's leave accounted for!

What else do we need?  Ah yes - an engine...

image.png

7 minutes ago, chaseracer said:

Looks like we've nearly got us a racing car...

Shell (with aluminium roof) painted and permanently attached to the chassis, suspension connected, steering functional, braking system complete, gearbox checked and in, wiring well on the way, instrumentation mostly done.  That's a week's leave accounted for!

What else do we need?  Ah yes - an engine...

image.png

Brilliant-you can now send me lots of information for the 2cv column due tonight! Otherwise it’s going to be very panda heavy!