The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

I've delegated lawn mowing to my son.  Meanwhile taking care to stay local, and avoiding any areas that tend to attract crowds during good weather, I drove my distinctly grubby Tipo to a nearby lane and stopped for a walk, also taking a few shaky photos (attached) to remind me what 'outside the house' looks like.  I'm disappointed that the cosmetic repair to the Tipo's offside rear door that I did about 15 months ago has laughed at my thorough wire brushing, rust converting, zinc priming and superbly matched top coat. It's now bubbling and will have to be done again. For the moment (i.e. anything up to a year) it has got a bit of Bilt Hamber Dynax daubed over it to slow it down.

100_2353.jpg

100_2357.jpg

100_2367.jpg

Well shit in my hat. 

Power steering pipe has gone pop with the family in the car. Just some groans from the rack and a trail of power steering fluid for scoob and the gang to follow.

IMG20210331170417.thumb.jpg.124202acf756b4039a2bb813166b6185.jpg

Put it up on the jacks and give it a rock to make sure it's stable aaaaand I dent the wing

MVIMG_20210331_182932.thumb.jpg.94ff9498ac2114b33ee224fcfabb2689.jpg

Check out under the car and figure there's no way I can save that metal pipe but perhaps I could bodge it until a garage or money comes my way.

As a YouTube certified master technician I decided to use plumber's tape, JB weld and tiger seal. This did not solve the problem but it's slightly less leaky.

Cool.

Time to give up.

Lowering the car down and I realise that I've driven onto the parking post and ripped it up by turning the wheel. Super. No way I can lower the car without fucking the tyre up so I rip the whole thing out.

IMG20210331185017.thumb.jpg.209ed27b7c094ddb5d17fdf8c8825fac.jpg

Then I text and ask my dad if I can get back my Honda for a few days...nah

Oh and my ABS sensor wire is fucked too

IMG20210331173949.thumb.jpg.909c8acec7ed263f2d646f8cec9b973f.jpg

2 hours ago, bangernomics said:

How big is the grass area? It’s the size of the cut that matters and I bought a 42” ride on and wish I’d just gotten a big self propelled one. I’ll probably buy a robot mulching one when they come down to a grand. I just can’t face the best part of two bags for a tiny thing.

I’ve never measured it actually... that might be a job for tomorrow... 

57 minutes ago, sdkrc said:

Well shit in my hat. 

Power steering pipe has gone pop with the family in the car. Just some groans from the rack and a trail of power steering fluid for scoob and the gang to follow.

IMG20210331170417.thumb.jpg.124202acf756b4039a2bb813166b6185.jpg

Put it up on the jacks and give it a rock to make sure it's stable aaaaand I dent the wing

MVIMG_20210331_182932.thumb.jpg.94ff9498ac2114b33ee224fcfabb2689.jpg

Check out under the car and figure there's no way I can save that metal pipe but perhaps I could bodge it until a garage or money comes my way.

As a YouTube certified master technician I decided to use plumber's tape, JB weld and tiger seal. This did not solve the problem but it's slightly less leaky.

Cool.

Time to give up.

Lowering the car down and I realise that I've driven onto the parking post and ripped it up by turning the wheel. Super. No way I can lower the car without fucking the tyre up so I rip the whole thing out.

IMG20210331185017.thumb.jpg.209ed27b7c094ddb5d17fdf8c8825fac.jpg

Then I text and ask my dad if I can get back my Honda for a few days...nah

Oh and my ABS sensor wire is fucked too

IMG20210331173949.thumb.jpg.909c8acec7ed263f2d646f8cec9b973f.jpg

Can you remove the drive belt for the power steering pump and continue with manual steering for the time being? @captain_70s 740 ran like that for some time last year. Steering was a bit heavy but not as awful as you'd imagine. It was only one vee belt that had to be removed on that one IIRC but not sure if your car would be the same. 

15 minutes ago, blackboilersuit said:

Can you remove the drive belt for the power steering pump and continue with manual steering for the time being? @captain_70s 740 ran like that for some time last year. Steering was a bit heavy but not as awful as you'd imagine. It was only one vee belt that had to be removed on that one IIRC but not sure if your car would be the same. 

Yes, but you need to allow all the PAS fluid to drain out too, as otherwise the steeringwheel becomes the pump to force all the fluid about, which isn't fun.

That said, it looks like most of the fluid is out already and the rest is making a fairly good bid for freedom.

44 minutes ago, Talbot said:

Yes, but you need to allow all the PAS fluid to drain out too, as otherwise the steering wheel becomes the pump to force all the fluid about, which isn't fun.

This.

After I pulled the belt and reverted my 740 to PROPER STEERING (entirely usable) it continued to dribble PAS fluid for days, including leaving a big fuck off puddle on Girlfriend_70's parent's driveway. Marvellous given that this was the first she knew of the car and my buying it without telling her nearly ended our relationship even without it staining the mono blocking...

5 hours ago, RayMK said:

I'm disappointed that the cosmetic repair to the Tipo's offside rear door that I did about 15 months ago has laughed at my thorough wire brushing, rust converting, zinc priming and superbly matched top coat. It's now bubbling and will have to be done again.

Try pouring some of the magic rust converting potion of choice inside the door when you do the outside.  It's probably gone a tiny bit porous where the rust is showing so it's pulling moisture and rust through from the back.  The rust will likely be hiding in the seam where the outer skin folds over the inner frame, but sometimes you get lucky with really thin rust converters and capillary action when you tackle it from both sides.  It can also help to wire brush, rust treat and then wire brush and rust treat a second time before putting paint on.

Looked a pleasant spot to park up at any rate, isn't it nice now the weather is improving and we're starting to be allowed out again?

Oh happy, happy days. The door lock I've had to order from AliExpress has been returned to the seller because "it contains magnetism". 

Now begins the fun task of trying to get it either resent or get a refund. 

I can seriously see this car getting scrapped shortly if this is the future of getting parts for it. Bloody cars.

Screenshot_20210401_054715.thumb.jpg.74d9e30eddac45c207ee8cbb33b1b0e5.jpg

2 hours ago, LabRat said:

Oh happy, happy days. The door lock I've had to order from AliExpress has been returned to the seller because "it contains magnetism". 

Now begins the fun task of trying to get it either resent or get a refund. 

I can seriously see this car getting scrapped shortly if this is the future of getting parts for it. Bloody cars.

Screenshot_20210401_054715.thumb.jpg.74d9e30eddac45c207ee8cbb33b1b0e5.jpg

I'm sure Mr. Default Name will be very helpful. 

Dropped the Cavalier off at a different, more local garage today. Even with the Easter weekend he said it would probably be ready by Tuesday. Seemed a decent chap and wasn't fazed by the rust I showed him.  Recommended to me by word of mouth.

New dizzy and rotor arrived yesterday so will bosh those on when I get it back to see if it makes a difference. Its not happy at cold idle, definitely looks as if the throttle position sensor is getting a bad signal so I'll cracked on with the wiring as well.

Drives incredibly well, wafts almost as well at the 75, just doesn't have the grandeur. Really swithering on what one to let go. Now that I realise my wife doesn't mind me having 5 cars, I realise its one too many. The driveway is crowded and I forgot a job which needed doing on the 75 which is fitting of the new rain sensing wipers. The Mini is basically my wife's so thats staying as is the Audi as it gives family fun on sunny days. Its between the Cav, 75 and the Corsa and at present I don't want to let any of them go!

lock.jpg

Replaced the rear door module of the passat. Not a bad job but a lot of old, fragile clips to break on the way.

Door now opens from the inside AND outside. Imagine that. Not sure what actually failed, the turning the child lock on make the action much lighter so i don't think was that.

Might investigate the state of the intake manifold tomorrow, I suspect its full of crap. For a 1.9 derv i'm not seeing much more than 41mpg combined which seems a little low. Maybe not, its a heavy car.

5 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Dropped the Cavalier off at a different, more local garage today. Even with the Easter weekend he said it would probably be ready by Tuesday. Seemed a decent chap and wasn't fazed by the rust I showed him.  Recommended to me by word of mouth.

New dizzy and rotor arrived yesterday so will bosh those on when I get it back to see if it makes a difference. Its not happy at cold idle, definitely looks as if the throttle position sensor is getting a bad signal so I'll cracked on with the wiring as well.

Drives incredibly well, wafts almost as well at the 75, just doesn't have the grandeur. Really swithering on what one to let go. Now that I realise my wife doesn't mind me having 5 cars, I realise its one too many. The driveway is crowded and I forgot a job which needed doing on the 75 which is fitting of the new rain sensing wipers. The Mini is basically my wife's so thats staying as is the Audi as it gives family fun on sunny days. Its between the Cav, 75 and the Corsa and at present I don't want to let any of them go!

I'm not telling you what to do, but just thinking that not many people realised at the time what a good car a Cavalier 3 was. Probably because the styling isn't particularly distinctive and there were so many around, then.

More changes. Replaced the badges on the bonnet and boot with some nice new ones, and finally fitted the Sony DAB and Bluetooth unit with the mic/aerial today. Stereo is booming and clear and it's nice to have dab and hands free calling again. Badges are a welcome addition. Just got to sort s fresh pair of plates, demist the slightly misted headlamps and then I'll make the front grilles chrome again as I'm not a fan of the black look. Acetone and some elbow grease will work a treat.

Full service of fluids and filters when the weather warms up too. 

IMG_20210401_122608.jpg

IMG_20210401_155749.jpg

IMG_20210401_162008.jpg

On 3/31/2021 at 4:35 PM, barefoot said:

The Renault van that I deal with for the Charity bus mob appears to have shat its gearbox...

No, a total failure to turn the starter motor or do anything regarding starting or moving was traced by our helpful local garage to a simple bad earth on the hideously compex & utterly shite robotized manual gearbox. An hour an a half's labour & I can go and collect the dreadful running little bastard on Tuesday.

I want to change the oil on the BMW this weekend. My mahle filter arrived today. Made in the PRC. Not really shocked - so much is made out there.

I want to drop the coolant but have the fear - 17 year old fixings and a car with no temp gauge.

I see it doing an impression of an Icelandic geyser.

6 hours ago, tobyd said:

lock.jpg

Replaced the rear door module of the passat. Not a bad job but a lot of old, fragile clips to break on the way.

Door now opens from the inside AND outside. Imagine that. Not sure what actually failed, the turning the child lock on make the action much lighter so i don't think was that.

Might investigate the state of the intake manifold tomorrow, I suspect its full of crap. For a 1.9 derv i'm not seeing much more than 41mpg combined which seems a little low. Maybe not, its a heavy car.

Is it a B5? Short trips should see more than that.

yea, 100hp PD - I'm bimbling about in it so surprised its not better but maybe the MAF is broken (i understand these can fail / misread without the EML coming on, or the EML doesn't work) or the intake is so full of crud its suffocating. Something to investigate anyway. The intercooler pipework is absolutely disgusting so maybe thats also maxed out with crap. The EGR wasn't too bad though, not great but not awful. Something in the DMF arrangement is shot though, invoices say it was done 70k ago inc clutch but it does leave a smol mark on the road so suspect the rear crank seal has gone and is causing a judder when making spirited* getaways in 1st. Otherwise its alright. Turbo comes on ok and doesn't seem to be producing a smoke screen.

Other than, of course, discovering the other rear door doesn't understand its been opened so need to replace that module too.

Comfy car though. Hoover'd it earlier. Its full of pens, like more than 10, no idea why.

10 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

Find off site storage! Unfortunately that can lead to even more cars when it's a case of just sending an email to get another bay...

6 hours ago, artdjones said:

I'm not telling you what to do, but just thinking that not many people realised at the time what a good car a Cavalier 3 was. Probably because the styling isn't particularly distinctive and there were so many around, then.

Just watching old episodes of Cracker because they used a fair few 93 and 94 MK3s, they were ubiquitous then. They are reminiscent of a time and a place, in a good way too.

A package arrived in the post from the excellent @Zelandeth of this parish, containing a spare control panel for the Chinese diesel heater I recently fitted to the Trafic.  Plugged it in, pressed the requisite combination of buttons and the fuel pump immediately began priming away, which it'd never managed to do with the controller that came with it.  Let it pump the diesel through then switched it on - initially it threw up a glow plug error but with a slightly better live feed it soon fired up.

Not sure it's supposed to be quite that smoky though...

DSC_1554.thumb.JPG.2411d0306768b9dd1b747a55c8aee755.JPG

To be fair it did clear up somewhat after it'd run for a bit.  It's not what you'd call quiet but it does chuck out a decent amount of heat.

The petrol C2 failed its MOT today.  Not unexpectedly.  It needs a bit of welding on the back of the driver's side sill (which I knew about) and one of the rear brakes is binding (which I'm not surprised by given how long the car has been sitting around doing not much).  I'm going to have a look at the brake either this weekend or next week, and then the car is going back in for the garage to do the welding (it's only a small amount) and retest.

The Skoda lost its nearside indicator lens today.  I was pleased to discover that a new complete indicator unit is available on eBay for £7.25, so that'll be sorted soon.

1 hour ago, wuvvum said:

Not sure it's supposed to be quite that smoky though

Tadts. My neighbours were ready to phone the nee naws on my first run in, before it eventually cleaned itself up. I still have a black soot mark on my drive. It never even emits the tiniest puff now.

3 hours ago, wuvvum said:

A package arrived in the post from the excellent @Zelandeth of this parish, containing a spare control panel for the Chinese diesel heater I recently fitted to the Trafic.  Plugged it in, pressed the requisite combination of buttons and the fuel pump immediately began priming away, which it'd never managed to do with the controller that came with it.  Let it pump the diesel through then switched it on - initially it threw up a glow plug error but with a slightly better live feed it soon fired up.

Not sure it's supposed to be quite that smoky though...

DSC_1554.thumb.JPG.2411d0306768b9dd1b747a55c8aee755.JPG

To be fair it did clear up somewhat after it'd run for a bit.  It's not what you'd call quiet but it does chuck out a decent amount of heat.

TADTS; they're very fussy about voltage, crappy wiring or stale battery will cause FTP. Smoke on start up is normal, destroyer smokescreen while running not so much.