The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

36 minutes ago, bangernomics said:

Maybe reversing into things will fix them?

When I bought it, I thought the loud beep was to announce their activation, so I reversed away, suspicions they were not active and that I wasn’t fully sure fair with the length of the vehicle were aroused when the log shed behind me started moving.

More other news, the old 323 has developed a bit of idle wobble and the occasional hot start frumpiness that results in a stall.

all symptoms point to an air leak so naturally I’m avoiding finding that and have ordered new plugs, leads, etc first so I can kid myself I’m fixing it by doing easy stuff.

Why do old cars break in synchronisation? 

Bluebird first gear is kaput, so not really using that right now. Mondeo clutch starts slipping this morning. It's had a bit of a judder to it occasionally but nothing especially noticeable, now it's slipping to hell. And I was planning on going away weekend after next. Oh and it's Easter weekend coming up so garage isn't sure when they can sort it out. 

Grumble grumble etc. The day can only get better. 

2 hours ago, New POD said:

To be fair, when I had a blue cavalier  mk3, some twat put a printed note on the windowscreen asking me to consider selling it for scrap.  Given the mobile number, lack of address, lack of business name, I made some assumptions.  

It was probably your Wife.

31 minutes ago, N19 said:

Why do old cars break in synchronisation? 

Bluebird first gear is kaput, so not really using that right now. Mondeo clutch starts slipping this morning. It's had a bit of a judder to it occasionally but nothing especially noticeable, now it's slipping to hell. And I was planning on going away weekend after next. Oh and it's Easter weekend coming up so garage isn't sure when they can sort it out. 

Grumble grumble etc. The day can only get better. 

More cars man.  That is the only sensible solution here.  

I feel your pain.  I found myself having to use a 17ft long van last week as literally everything was either broken or out of MOT.  Or both.

Get yourself into the Tat thread and roll the dice again!

Before this thread descends into another shit fest. Let's keep it clean without digs at individuals. Yes we all have differing opinions but please act grown up about it and be polite. I may be a reasonably new member but I didn't join this forum for some of the things I have seen recently. I hope we can all be gentlemen, and ladies, and be mature about it. 

This is not a go at any individual, just a member that sits back a lot of the time but is getting frustrated as to how some things develop on here now. I thought that's what Facebook was for 😉

27 minutes ago, andyberg said:

Before this thread descends into another shit fest. Let's keep it clean without digs at individuals. Yes we all have differing opinions but please act grown up about it and be polite. I may be a reasonably new member but I didn't join this forum for some of the things I have seen recently. I hope we can all be gentlemen, and ladies, and be mature about it. 

This is not a go at any individual, just a member that sits back a lot of the time but is getting frustrated as to how some things develop on here now. I thought that's what Facebook was for 😉

You make such a valid point regarding being a new member ect. Semi relevant post I made a while ago - chopped to be relevant to this:

On 2/9/2021 at 1:15 AM, SmokinWaffle said:

...Consider how these sort of threads look to an outsider looking for a friendly community to join and share an interest. ....

...There is no need for people to be so defensive and hostile all the time, it's really quite upsetting to witness. It really isn't hard to just to not be a cock. ...

I joined Autoshite because it was a nice haven of just people chilling out over old shit and nobody seemed to really judge anyone, or have any massive egos. Don't know what's happened recently - but if I read some of the things I've seen posted around recently on here an I was someone who was looking to join, I'd probably give it a miss. It reads like badly scripted episodes of Emmerdale farm, but all the drama is over Vauxhall Carltons and Allegros instead. 

Normally I don't speak out or give my opinion because...well I just don't really care, life is hard enough for us all without un-needed rubbish - but when you see bullying out in the open between adults it's frankly pathetic. 

The car community is already filled with enough hostility without adding to it on a platform that is a safe haven and a home to people with such a specific and hard to explain interest like ours. 

I have many, many things to say but I really just don't have the energy. Every car forum, club or group I've ever joined has the same loop. Seems good at first > get into it and contribute > turns out it's super clicky and most don't like alternative opinions > petty arguments > I leave and go and do my own thing on my own and don't share it. Sometimes it's just easier. Shame that this seems to be going the same way. I love sharing things on here for the advice and motivation, the love we all have for keeping old shit alive but outside of those threads it's a bit of a pileup recently.

The fact that someone can't just apologise for using an offensive / derogarary term, consider other peoples feelings and grow from it instead of going actually technically it's not technically logically offensive because of the history of the word is this and I didn't know because of blablabla so how could I see the offenses and it doesn't bother me because snowflake lighten up internet brexit communist thought police and having a multiple page debate about it boggles my fucking mind.

Just because there is a rule in place that means you can't openly be a racist / edgy free spirit, it doesn't mean aspartame is going to come out of your screen and you will be controlled by the staff. You're free to say whatever you like - but others are also free to respond however they like.

It's always the minority that ruin it for the majority though. Shame that the minority often speak the loudest.

What I will say though is that this certainly isn't the place to aggressively bringing up COVID conspiracies. People have died and continue to die, have some respect. 

3 hours ago, bangernomics said:

Maybe reversing into things will fix them?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/site-bump-cap-black/3539d

I have one of these for use in the garage, shed, under the car. Or in the attic. 

Because a slight scratch plus blood thinners is a bad look. 

I've resisted chucking my two penneth in so far, but I'll do it now.

Firstly re the Brownova / Pikey thing. As he's explained he wasn't aware that it's an offensive term. And having met him, I refuse to believe there's a malicious bone in his body. Secondly on that point, what was the actual point of the backlash and the big arguement as to whats offensive and what's not? Nobody on here is God / Buddha / Ferdinand Porsche (delete deity as applicable) so who gives anybody the right to slag anyone off, which then descended into a fucking tit for tat snipe fest. Nobody has the right to tell other people what to think. Advise perhaps, but to demand that everyone thinks the same way and pussyfoots around like a woke snowflake is horseshit. Yeah we've got some members who display troll-like characteristics, but hey, whatever. Are they actually HURTING you, costing you money? No. Grow up.

It's quite easy really, don't like a post, scroll past they'll be another one in a moment.

I know for a fact that my political views will be very different to many others, as are my views on a lot of things. Anything contentious I just don't feel the need to post. It's really not difficult. In REAL life there are more important things to worry about, like whether I'm going to punch my boss in the face, or what I'm having for tea.

TL:DR Scroll past DON'T BE A DICK.

Haven't they started deliberately making antifreeze taste disgusting to stop cats from nomming it?
I specifically use Prestone in my classics. It's compatible with both blue/conventional 2yr coolant and 5yr long life. But also it's rated to last 10yrs - even though I change at 5yrs.

But crucially it contains Bitrex, the stuff that makes it taste super bitter for the reason you mention above. Problem is, I don't know how much/little is needed to seriously make a small animal like a cat ill.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That's not the best start to a day.  Just had a phone call from a friend back up north.  Another friend I've known since I was about 5, but regrettably haven't done as good a job of staying in touch with since moving down here passed away last night.

Fit as a fiddle, an electrician by trade, had a cough towards the end of last week, was admitted to hospital on Sunday, died just before 20:00 yesterday. 

So you'll have to forgive me if I've little patience for COVID conspiracy theories.  That's now three people I personally know who have died from it and one who was very, very sick from it.

25 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

That's not the best start to a day.  Just had a phone call from a friend back up north.  Another friend I've known since I was about 5, but regrettably haven't done as good a job of staying in touch with since moving down here passed away last night.

Fit as a fiddle, an electrician by trade, had a cough towards the end of last week, was admitted to hospital on Sunday, died just before 20:00 yesterday. 

So you'll have to forgive me if I've little patience for COVID conspiracy theories.  That's now three people I personally know who have died from it and one who was very, very sick from it.

Shows how very real the threat is. Conspiricy theorists and anti vaxxers really need to reconsider their viewpoint. Sure many millions have covid and feel no effects, and most folk will overcome it and carry on regardless. But, and this is the problem, we need to look out for those who are most at risk, the ones who will undoubtedly die or have quality of life affected should they contract it. These people are in our families, they are our friends. The responsibility for controlling this lies with each and every one of us, we all need to do our bit to suppress the virus. I never ever took up the offer of a flu jab, but happy to say that ive now had both covid jabs

8 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Am I best to just "get a little man in" to do it once and do it well?  

You'll find that the correct term for that is GALMI and it will sort all of your problems.

In vagually motoring related news, the R75 battery drain appears finally to be sorted - car returned, modest bill paid.

The VW T2 went to the garage to be serviced & have all the flat spots tuned out of it - chap phoned to say it was running horribly, but he's sorted it even without fitting a vacuum advance distributer & it's now running with commendable smoothness.

The Renault van that I deal with for the Charity bus mob appears to have shat its gearbox. We are insured with an outfit called QBE. They are incredibly expensive, but when I rang them to organise an AA recovery to a garage, they immediately gave me a 2 hr time slot. A text was received during the slot with an exact time. Chap turned up in the correct sort of vehicle & recovered the Renner without the slightest drama.

7 hours ago, BorniteIdentity said:

More cars man.  That is the only sensible solution here.  

I feel your pain.  I found myself having to use a 17ft long van last week as literally everything was either broken or out of MOT.  Or both.

Get yourself into the Tat thread and roll the dice again!

That's how I ended up with three! Which I can justify to myself. And the bank manager.

I managed to limp it home. That's one thing. Now to get in the slightly less broken Bluebird for a few days and have a nice chat with the guy from the garage.

26 minutes ago, stuboy said:

New ambulance cars for patient transport .. petrol 1.5 gt 3008... automatics.. go very well on sport mode..😉😉 miles better than the old diesel ones, cause they go into London.. and ulez they got petrol ones..

20210331_070801.jpg

20210331_070831.jpg

Weird engine sizes these days wig me out. 1.5L? Odd.  That's huge too.

First cut of the year for the lawns.

IMG_20210331_162920.thumb.jpg.c319118bf010bced6bc34edf38fbf7ee.jpg

IMG_20210331_162823.thumb.jpg.7f1dd0aeb5dc80c1680b50ea84531ff4.jpg

Really do need to think about getting a new mower.  One of the wheel bearings has just collapsed on this one.  Plus I don't have the right grass box for it so it has to be emptied about five hundred times - and the grass box I do have is primarily held together by zip ties and duct tape.

Engine still runs like a dream (well, it is an old sidevalve Briggs so no huge surprise!), but between the lack of a proper grass box (and I can't find one anywhere, have been trying for six years now), the rear wheels being totally worn smooth so the self propelling action is basically useless, the wheel bearing having gone, and the handle starting to fail...think it's just had its day.

It was a kerbside find six years ago, so owes me nothing.  Getting it going required me to drain the oil out of the cylinder and replace the primer bulb.  Since then aside from sharpening the blade and a few oil changes all it's needed was a replacement carb, which was about £15 I think.

Very nice! I've been looking at battery lawnmowers lately for my postage stamp garden, I've cut the lawn twice now (although both on high to get the lower growth going/keep up with the overfeeding I did...) 

My £35 Aldi mower is on its 3rd year now. Hasn't popped its drive belt off either since the first time, I reckon it wasn't assembled properly. Not fully surprising though

4 hours ago, chancer said:

Shows how very real the threat is. Conspiricy theorists and anti vaxxers really need to reconsider their viewpoint. Sure many millions have covid and feel no effects, and most folk will overcome it and carry on regardless. But, and this is the problem, we need to look out for those who are most at risk, the ones who will undoubtedly die or have quality of life affected should they contract it. These people are in our families, they are our friends. The responsibility for controlling this lies with each and every one of us, we all need to do our bit to suppress the virus. I never ever took up the offer of a flu jab, but happy to say that ive now had both covid jabs

Yes but it's not just those who are obviously at risk. There's some who have died or have been very ill who were not in the at risk category. And then there is long Covid or Post Viral Chronic Fatigue to give it it's Pre-Covid name.  

16 minutes ago, beko1987 said:

Very nice! I've been looking at battery lawnmowers lately for my postage stamp garden, I've cut the lawn twice now (although both on high to get the lower growth going/keep up with the overfeeding I did...) 

My £35 Aldi mower is on its 3rd year now. Hasn't popped its drive belt off either since the first time, I reckon it wasn't assembled properly. Not fully surprising though

To be fair, if I could get a grass box for it I'd probably keep this one going.  I like the plastic deck as it's obviously impervious to rust and doesn't end up looking like hell once you've scraped it against the wall a few times.  Being a mid 90s model though it's thoroughly out of support and the NOS stocks have started to dry up for service items.  See also the rear wheels which I tried to replace last year.

I've never really got along with an electric mower aside from the original Flymo, which was hard not to like given they weighed nothing and were basically indestructible if the treatment the one my folks had when I was growing up was anything to go by.  Definitely an obvious little brother to the 150cc two stroke beast of a hover mower I rescued a few years later.  That's one I really do regret not sorting out when the engine needed a rebuild.  The garden at my folk's house was very much not flat but was a fair size.  What took me about two and a half hours with every other mower before or since that took about half an hour with that thing.  Can see why they were so popular with council groundskeeping departments.

Not sure what I'll replace this with, probably end up being something from Einhell though, we've got several of their tools here, first of which was a chainsaw and I've absolutely no complaints about any of them so far.

A guy who used to work with me gave me his old petrol mower when he upgraded and that was fun but dreadfully inefficient for my lawn! I'd end up opening the gate and trundling around my little dead end of the road doing the bits the council never do. Mower started to just run like shit and I bought the £35 Aldi one. 

By sheer luck my stepdad mower shat itself so he had it and it ran much better doing their bigger lawn. It got passed on last year though for an electric one so mum can do the lawn easier. 

Fancy a battery one, Aldi did one that fits my battery but it's £100 for the mower shell itself which seems good value for what it is, but I'd end up with a cost per lawn cut of about £13 for the season which just seems silly... 

Bring it to the FOD and we can graft a suitable* set of wheels on from something else! Sounds like the classic tale of whatever spares mower you buy will be better than your one so you'll rebuild that, but need one part that your old one doesn't which will cost a fortune... 

Treat yourself for 2021, buy a new toy! 

14 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I could do with a ride on mower, but I can’t believe the prices when I see them for sale! More than I pay for most of my cars! 

I spent more on a walk behind mower than i did for the van it travels in 🙄

I could do with a ride on mower, but I can’t believe the prices when I see them for sale! More than I pay for most of my cars! 

How big is the grass area? It’s the size of the cut that matters and I bought a 42” ride on and wish I’d just gotten a big self propelled one. I’ll probably buy a robot mulching one when they come down to a grand. I just can’t face the best part of two bags for a tiny thing.