The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I messaged privately as more often than not the result of doing dirty laundry in public like this is to simply cause more discord and things to spiral unnecessarily. Which is exactly what has happened. I think we are all fed up of threads being derailed in this way. 

No offence was intended, I apologise if anyone was offended. I won’t use the term again as I now it has been pointed out to me how it could cause offence.

Let’s get back to talking cars... which is the point of AS. 

I wasn't offended does that make me a ''wrong un'' too ?

This is going to sound a bit ''Mums Net'' but why can't people just be nice to each other ?

Instead of outting someone as a bad egg and heaping misery on them all evening why not just privately message them if you are that upset.

Honestly life is too short Guys..

6 minutes ago, HarmonicCheeseburger said:

waaambulances hashtag on Twitter

It's a word. GROW THE FUCK UP

It's been used on this forum a LOT of times :

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3A+autoshite.com+pikey&oq=site%3A+autoshite.com+pikey&aqs=chrome..69i57j69i58.3993j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

And only now it's a problem? what happened did your wife refuse to give you jollies and you need to pout?

Far bigger and more substantial problems then a word in this world. 

Ignoring and putting the crass person attacks aside...

M*ng has been used extensively on here too:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aautoshite.com+mong&oq=site%3Aautoshite.com+mong

Does that mean it's ok now to use? 

1 minute ago, GeorgeB said:

Please be more specific.

A lot of my posts are trying to help people or make them laugh.

Which ones warrant a ban?

All of them. None of them seem to be particularly making people laugh. What you are doing quite effectively is demonstrate to all and sundry your natural ability to pick a fight with anyone and everyone. The more fronts you open up for yourself, the better you like it.

The real icing on the cake would be if @Nicola Hwere to join forces.

Just now, Tadhg Tiogar said:

All of them. None of them seem to be particularly making people laugh. What you are doing quite effectively is demonstrate to all and sundry your natural ability to pick a fight with anyone and everyone. The more fronts you open up for yourself, the better you like it.

The real icing on the cake would be if @Nicola Hwere to join forces.

You need to look through all my posts before you cast aspersions.

It all blown up so much that my original post seemed have been forgotten:

17 hours ago, SiC said:
I know you live in rural Wales but that is a rather offensive racist ethnic slur. I expect much better from a teacher, let alone a mod.

Just two sentences appears to have caused this. But why?

Ok it is a bit narky with the rural Wales jab, but at the same time I clearly pointed out it was a offensive term as an informational point. No need to have this go to PM. Not least that others will perhaps be better informed on the word.

Maybe even prevent them getting into hot water in their job in the future?

Yes I was disappointed that it was used by brownnova. Given he is a teacher and a moderator, I hold him in higher regard than many others. As said earlier, using a slang word for an ethnic group should be ringing alarm bells, to go at least check its context.

Anyway the reply I got was:

13 hours ago, brownnova said:
Thank you for educating me... as your post appears to suggest, we haven’t got the latest standards of political correctness here in “rural Wales” (We’ve only just got double glazing and inside plumbing here) so it was unbeknownst to me that the word may cause you offence on behalf of the travelling community. 
What we lack in political correctness we do make up for in 6 nations titles though. 

This surprised me as there was no apology in this. Plus it certainly reads with a sarcastic tone. Especially in reference that it caused me offence on behalf of a community.

Almost feels like I hit a nerve with the rural Wales jibe?

9 hours ago, Joey spud said:
I wasn't offended does that make me a ''wrong un'' too ?
This is going to sound a bit ''Mums Net'' but why can't people just be nice to each other ?

This was a primary point of my original post and the reason of point it out. Why can't we just be nice to other groups of people, instead of using slurs against them?

9 hours ago, Joey spud said:

Instead of outting someone as a bad egg and heaping misery on them all evening why not just privately message them if you are that upset.

Certainly wasn't my intention of outing brownnova as a bad egg. Disappointed with the egg maybe, but certainly not bad. Sorry if it seems that way.

Somehow this has all got blown up further than it should have. I also seem to have offended people on that I don't think we should be nasty to complete ethnic groups?

Are people offended by me being disappointed in brownnova? Or are people offended by me pointing out a ethnic slur that others may (and evidently) not aware of?

1 minute ago, SiC said:

This surprised me as there was no apology in this. Plus it certainly reads with a sarcastic tone. Especially in reference that it caused me offence on behalf of a community.

Let's leave it now.

He has eventually apologised.

☝️ Bens post above seems to imply we're working together on an agenda.

We're not.

He has his own beef with the moderators. That's very separate to me.

All I want is people to be nice to others. That includes other groups that may not be on this forum. 

I don't call other groups by offensive slurs and I expect others to do the same. Of course some do. I will still usually call out on that when I see it and I'll give a strong response to such.

Thats just me. 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, SiC said:

Ok it is a bit narky with the rural Wales jab, but at the same time I clearly pointed out it was a offensive term as an informational point. No need to have this go to PM. Not least that others will perhaps be better informed on the word.

Yes I was disappointed that it was used by brownnova. Given he is a teacher and a moderator, I hold him in higher regard than many others. As said earlier, using a slang word for an ethnic group should be ringing alarm bells, to go at least check its context.

This was a primary point of my original post and the reason of point it out. Why can't we just be nice to other groups of people, instead of using slurs against them?

Certainly wasn't my intention of outing brownnova as a bad egg. Disappointed with the egg maybe, but certainly not bad. Sorry if it seems that way.

Somehow this has all got blown up further than it should have. I also seem to have offended people too?

Are people offended by me being disappointed in brownnova? Or are people offended by me pointing out a ethnic slur that others may (and evidently) not aware of?

Tbh, my initial reply was light heartedly sarcastic, I hadn’t grasped the depth of your point, I was busy in family life, in the garden with the kids. 

When I did see the depth of the point I PM’d you straight away to try and clear it up. I’ve  quoted below as it is still unread. 

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Hi, 

I seem to have caused you some discomfort with the word Pikey, I should think by now it’d be quite obvious that I have never considered the term racist before, and no one has ever said that it is to me.... if you think I would use it if I considered it racist then I’m surprised. 

Anyway I have no intention of falling out about this, but wanted to make it very clear that no offence is meant, and if it is indeed an undesirable term I shan’t use it in future.

Just wanted to clear that up. 
Thanks

Those who actually know me, will know that racist is far from me. The word in question has simply been a jokey term of common parlance for years to me for anyone who comes and offers to buy cars off your drive, or tarmac your drive etc. In an unsolicited way. 

There it is.

I totally agree with your sentiment about showing respect. Without intention I failed to do that, my bad. 

Can we please move on now. 

33 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Tbh, my initial reply was light heartedly sarcastic, I hadn’t grasped the depth of your point, I was busy in family life, in the garden with the kids. 

When I did see the depth of the point I PM’d you straight away to try and clear it up. I’ve  quoted below as it is still unread. 

Those who actually know me, will know that racist is far from me. The word in question has simply been a jokey term of common parlance for years to me for anyone who comes and offers to buy cars off your drive, or tarmac your drive etc. In an unsolicited way. 

There it is.

I totally agree with your sentiment about showing respect. Without intention I failed to do that, my bad. 

Can we please move on now. 

Again, hence why my surprise (verging on shock) at your original post as from your previous posts on here you didn't seem that way. I get what you say above and understand that the offensive nature of it wasn't in your mental model of that word. However my mental model of the word struggled to comprehend that others may not have known its offensive, even though the evidence in front of me appeared to contradict that model (still is struggling and churning round my head tbh). Thus for me , it appeared totally out of character and out of keeping with your nature.

I.e. shock 😲 and mind blown 🤯

If anything at least with this whole episode many other know to use that word carefully. The world is now changing fast on what is right and what is wrong, what is acceptable and what is not. We may not all agree on it or even want it to change, but if you want to stay out of trouble (or in your job) then it's a good idea to know where the shifting sand line now is. 

Remember all, this is a public forum that is not only visible to others but also catalogued. There is a very good chance our posts on here will be visible and stored till we shuffle our mortal coil. 

👇👇 Anyway, here is my line on this and any quotes above it will be not be responded to.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Weather was stonking hot today wasn't it? ☀️

Crumbs, getting a full-on Donald Glover vibe here...

giphy.gif

Anyway, just dropped by to say that I finally fixed all my thumbnail photos in the Irish Scrappie thread after the forum switchover shrank them, so if anyone wants to look at some pictures of utterly banjaxed 50s/ 60s /70s Vauxhalls and the like, fill your boots.

Kthanksbai.

4 hours ago, GeorgeB said:

No it is both.

If your partner just admitted that he made a mistake and apologised everything would be fine.

Marriage doesn't work like that.  You have to put with being reminded forever. 

4 hours ago, SiC said:

Somehow this has all got blown up further than it should have. I also seem to have offended people too?

With a bit of luck you'll have a Traveller knocking on your door trying to buy your Dolomite. Or hanging around the garage where your Porsche is kept. Then you can give your beliefs a good stress testing.

Well logged in this morning to a large number of notifications for this thread. Oh how I wish I'd just not read all that lol

In actual car news, Suzi has been delivered to the garage for a stat, oil change and fuel filter.

Audrey got driven by @andyberg last night, who has confirmed my belief of slightly wonky front discs. Bonus news, he believes she has already been remapped :) cause she goes like a stabbed rat.

Apologies to any rats for potential offence.

7 hours ago, sdkrc said:

Some decent posts in amongst the shite, namely @Split_Pin starting the Cav saving process 

To be fair, when I had a blue cavalier  mk3, some twat put a printed note on the windowscreen asking me to consider selling it for scrap.  Given the mobile number, lack of address, lack of business name, I made some assumptions.  

10 hours ago, Stevebrookman said:

Better not offend them whilst they are stealing dogs, having roads closed off in Cardiff due to gun offences, having horse and cart races on my local roads, driving around in untaxed vehicles, forcing contractors to crush stolen vehicles etc. Don’t offend the poor souls.

You could always pop up to see them during such escapades and ask if they mind being called pikeys.

Do let us know how you get on.

Things that happen twice a year.

1. The clocks change, leaving me slightly jetlagged for about a week.  
  2. There's a bit of a dust up on here.
  3. I smash my fucking head into the c*nting garage door at 2,877,932 newtons per square second leaving me injured and incandescent with rage.

It is number three that I would like to draw attention to here.  

I have "restrung" the bastard already, but after about a week it let go and smashed into my fucking head at 2,877,932 newtons per square second, leaving me injured and incandescent with rage.

Is there a nack to getting enough tension in the wires?  Am I best to just "get a little man in" to do it once and do it well?  

I often find myself getting annoyed that I can't do stuff like this myself to an acceptable standard, but I'm increasingly accepting that I can't be good at everything (or, indeed, anything).  

Any advice on the subject is welcome, before I turn my garage into a car port and sling the garage door in the river.

My dad just fixed his with a very large 2x4 to prop it when open.

in other news, discovered two of the rear sensors on the Espace aren’t ticking, but will probably take me a month to be motivated enough to remove the bumper and fix them.

Maybe reversing into things will fix them?

43 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

Things that happen twice a year.

1. The clocks change, leaving me slightly jetlagged for about a week.  
  2. There's a bit of a dust up on here.
  3. I smash my fucking head into the c*nting garage door at 2,877,932 newtons per square second leaving me injured and incandescent with rage.

It is number three that I would like to draw attention to here.  

I have "restrung" the bastard already, but after about a week it let go and smashed into my fucking head at 2,877,932 newtons per square second, leaving me injured and incandescent with rage.

Is there a nack to getting enough tension in the wires?  Am I best to just "get a little man in" to do it once and do it well?  

I often find myself getting annoyed that I can't do stuff like this myself to an acceptable standard, but I'm increasingly accepting that I can't be good at everything (or, indeed, anything).  

Any advice on the subject is welcome, before I turn my garage into a car port and sling the garage door in the river.

There are quite a few different types so a picture of how it holds the door up would help.

I've repaired a few with cables down each side and adjustment is straightforward on those.