The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Saying that an Irish Traveller offered £100 for the car is implying that it was offered a paltry amount because he is an Irish Traveller. I.e. race is the cause, not the individual persons temperament.

Wow.  You've got that every kind of wrong.

If someone were to say "an Irish Traveller" did X or Y, then that's just a statement of fact.  No more offensive than saying "I was cut up by an Audi driver today".  What you appear to have an issue with is the use of the word "Pikey", which as I stated about a million posts ago now, is simply a different word used to describe a person of the turnpike.. a "pikey".

The fact that you immediately ASSUMED the term was being used in a derogatory way says more about you than it does the person using the term.

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

No offence was intended, I apologise if anyone was offended. I won’t use the term again as I now it has been pointed out to me how it could cause offence.

Thank you,

Now why didn't you just do that in the first place?

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

If someone were to say "an Irish Traveller" did X or Y, then that's just a statement of fact.  No more offensive than saying "I was cut up by an Audi driver today".  What you appear to have an issue with is the use of the word "Pikey", which as I stated about a million posts ago now, is simply a different word used to describe a person of the turnpike.. a "pikey".

The fact that you immediately ASSUMED the term was being used in a derogatory way says more about you than it does the person using the term.

Just stop making an idiot of yourself, Talbot.

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

As mentioned a couple of posts back.  You don't get to tell people what they can and can't post on an open forum.  If you don't like what I'm posting, you can always ignore me.

I'd much rather keep responding. It amuses me.

4 minutes ago, Talbot said:

It's simply the modern inability to parse any sort of context within language. 

Too hard, too complex.

Far easier to simply declare entire words evil and ban their use than have any reasonable discourse. 

Of course at least we know it's alright to tar the travelling community as scum as long as we don't use the P word,because it's the word that's offensive, not the context. 

18 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

No it is both.

If your partner just admitted that he made a mistake and apologised everything would be fine.

Firstly, he’s not my partner, he’s my husband surely someone such as yourself would not want to offend given that my username clear says Mrs. He has apologised and said he won’t use the word again. 

1 minute ago, Mrsbrownnova said:

Firstly, he’s not my partner, he’s my husband surely someone such as yourself would not want to offend given that my username clear says Mrs. He has apologised and said he won’t use the word again. 

Blimey, is partner an offensive word now? Husband and wife are partners in marriage.

What's a shiney?

31 minutes ago, Mrsbrownnova said:

Ah right, so it’s more about in some way catching mods out rather than being offended about a word. Got ya. Give yourself a shiney. 

Nope nope nope. See my post above in reply to your other half. 

16 minutes ago, brownnova said:

I messaged privately as more often than not the result of doing dirty laundry in public like this is to simply cause more discord and things to spiral unnecessarily. Which is exactly what has happened. I think we are all fed up of threads being derailed in this way. 

No offence was intended, I apologise if anyone was offended. I won’t use the term again as I now it has been pointed out to me how it could cause offence.

Let’s get back to talking cars... which is the point of AS. 

The reason it's spiraled is because of the combination of the lack of apology from my original post. If there was one when you did reply then things would have petered out. I was entirely expecting your response to have been a proper apology.

Surely when I called you out on it being offensive, if you weren't aware of the connotations, you googled the word to see what it actually meant?

Thread derailed? This thread is 2520 pages long. No one is going to go back in it unless rooting for history or dirt (e.g. a potential future employer).

14 minutes ago, Talbot said:

If someone were to say "an Irish Traveller" did X or Y, then that's just a statement of fact.  No more offensive than saying "I was cut up by an Audi driver today".  

Eh? That's a strawman retort. Audi drivers aren't a race, skin colour, ethnic group.

14 minutes ago, Talbot said:

What you appear to have an issue with is the use of the word "Pikey", which as I stated about a million posts ago now, is simply a different word used to describe a person of the turnpike.. a "pikey".

Don't give me that bollocks. We all know the common used meaning of that word is and how it was used. Even the very first result on Google makes it clear what that word means in common use in 2021. They even put in clear bold text that it is offensive.

Screenshot_20210330-224423.thumb.png.801f2b468962f48029b5583f47a24065.png