The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

11 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

....I'm offended that you are offended.

And there is the fundamental reason why society is disappearing up its own arse. 

Meanwhile, China continues to take over the world, and they're a lot more xenophobic and racist than anything we are capable of. 

36 minutes ago, brownnova said:

Indeed could all have been done by PM if it was actually about the word used.

I did PM you half an hour ago SiC in an attempt to put this to bed in a reasonable way. Not yet read. 

I don't often read or use PMs. Also a we're on a public forum and if a response is necessary to a post then I feel the appropriate place is on said public forum, given it was a public post. Anyhow, I've been too busy replying to this thread on my phone, which limits the speed I can type, to even read said PM.

So my post. Of course there are several factors involved here and why I posted.

Firstly the word. Yes it's not a nice word and it certainly shouldn't be used in that context. You say you weren't aware it was offensive. That surprises me considering the context used. Doesn't teacher training cover a lot of Race, Diversity and Inclusion?

Surely using a slang word on an ethnic group should have rang the alarm bells that it's probably not ok to use? Hence my surprise at you saying you were not aware.

Secondly, given a moderator made the post, what's the point in reporting it? It'll just go back to said moderators. All of which will happen in secret and no accountability. If rules are going to be enforced, why shouldn't they be abided by those enforcing them? Otherwise that is really rather hypocritical, no?

Thirdly, as this thread evidently shows, not everyone is aware of the offensive nature of the word. When people in positions of authority use offensive terms, it will normalise its use as acceptable. Calling it out as not right makes others aware it isn't right. This is how things change and change for the better. Turning a blind eye invariably doesn't solve problems.

Fourthly, why should it be the case that you're pointing out it was an Irish Traveller? That's tarring all with the same brush. Bringing up ethnicity implies that the event happened because it's their ethnicity was a factor.

2 minutes ago, GeorgeB said:

If you would shut up it might not drag on.

There's a Pot/kettle/black moment if ever I saw one.

I wasn't going to bother saying anything more, but I am going to respond point made two pages ago by SiC:

Paki comes from the word Pakistan. That is also considered a racial slur. 

No.  "Paki" comes from a shortening of "Pakistani", describing a person from Pakistan.  It's *exactly* the same as shortening a British person to a "Brit".  It's not the word that is offensive, it's the manner in which is is used and the intention behind it.  You can use the word Paki, Brit, or any other shortening of the descriptor for where someone comes from, and it's the manner in which it is used that matters.

It's just unfortunate that one word is generally associated with negativity and the other not.

3 minutes ago, Mrsbrownnova said:

Ah right, so it’s more about in some way catching mods out rather than being offended about a word. Got ya. Give yourself a shiney. 

No it is both.

If your partner just admitted that he made a mistake and apologised everything would be fine.

2 minutes ago, Mrsbrownnova said:

Ah right, so it’s more about in some way catching mods out rather than being offended about a word. Got ya. Give yourself a shiney. 

Nope nope nope. Others may have other agendas. However it's more than that. As my post above mentions. 

11 minutes ago, Talbot said:

No.  "Paki" comes from a shortening of "Pakistani", describing a person from Pakistan.  It's *exactly* the same as shortening a British person to a "Brit".  It's not the word that is offensive, it's the manner in which is is used and the intention behind it.  You can use the word Paki, Brit, or any other shortening of the descriptor for where someone comes from, and it's the manner in which it is used that matters.

Exactly. My original post was a typo and I missed that 'i'.

Saying that an Irish Traveller offered £100 for the car is implying that it was offered a paltry amount because he is an Irish Traveller. I.e. race is the cause, not the individual persons temperament.

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

I don't often read or use PMs. Also a we're on a public forum and if a response is necessary to a post then I feel the appropriate place is on said public forum, given it was a public post. Anyhow, I've been too busy replying to this thread on my phone, which limits the speed I can type, to even read said PM.

So my post. Of course there are several factors involved here and why I posted.

Firstly the word. Yes it's not a nice word and it certainly shouldn't be used in that context. You say you weren't aware it was offensive. That surprises me considering the context used. Doesn't teacher training cover a lot of Race, Diversity and Inclusion?

Surely using a slang word on an ethnic group should have rang the alarm bells that it's probably not ok to use? Hence my surprise at you saying you were not aware.

Secondly, given a moderator made the post, what's the point in reporting it? It'll just go back to said moderators. All of which will happen in secret and no accountability. If rules are going to be enforced, why shouldn't they be abided by those enforcing them? Otherwise that is really rather hypocritical, no?

Thirdly, as this thread evidently shows, not everyone is aware of the offensive nature of the word. When people in positions of authority use offensive terms, it will normalise its use as acceptable. Calling it out as not right makes others aware it isn't right. This is how things change and change for the better. Turning a blind eye invariably doesn't solve problems.

I messaged privately as more often than not the result of doing dirty laundry in public like this is to simply cause more discord and things to spiral unnecessarily. Which is exactly what has happened. I think we are all fed up of threads being derailed in this way. 

No offence was intended, I apologise if anyone was offended. I won’t use the term again as I now it has been pointed out to me how it could cause offence.

Let’s get back to talking cars... which is the point of AS. 

2 minutes ago, SiC said:

Saying that an Irish Traveller offered £100 for the car is implying that it was offered a paltry amount because he is an Irish Traveller. I.e. race is the cause, not the individual persons temperament.

Wow.  You've got that every kind of wrong.

If someone were to say "an Irish Traveller" did X or Y, then that's just a statement of fact.  No more offensive than saying "I was cut up by an Audi driver today".  What you appear to have an issue with is the use of the word "Pikey", which as I stated about a million posts ago now, is simply a different word used to describe a person of the turnpike.. a "pikey".

The fact that you immediately ASSUMED the term was being used in a derogatory way says more about you than it does the person using the term.

1 minute ago, brownnova said:

No offence was intended, I apologise if anyone was offended. I won’t use the term again as I now it has been pointed out to me how it could cause offence.

Thank you,

Now why didn't you just do that in the first place?

1 minute ago, Talbot said:

Wow.  You've got that every kind of wrong.

If someone were to say "an Irish Traveller" did X or Y, then that's just a statement of fact.  No more offensive than saying "I was cut up by an Audi driver today".  What you appear to have an issue with is the use of the word "Pikey", which as I stated about a million posts ago now, is simply a different word used to describe a person of the turnpike.. a "pikey".

The fact that you immediately ASSUMED the term was being used in a derogatory way says more about you than it does the person using the term.

Just stop making an idiot of yourself, Talbot.