The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

Meh. I personally hold everyone to the same standards - that seems both fair and equal, regardless of profession.

If someone turns up at my house uninvited, I reserve the right to call them whatever I so wish. If they don’t like it, they are free to not turn up unannounced at my property. It’s no more complicated than that. 

2 hours ago, SiC said:

Paki comes from the word Pakistan. That is also considered a racial slur. 

'Pikey' isn't racist, because 'pikeys' don't belong to a different racial/ethnic group. I'm aware that there was some bullshit legislation passed to the contrary a few years ago, but as I've said before: if they passed a law stating that apples are root vegetables, it wouldn't suddenly become true.

You cannot choose your ethnic group based solely on your life choices. Pikeys are ethnically caucasians from the British Isles, just like the majority of UK inhabitants.

Alison hit 247,000 miles today. I bought her at 124,500 miles! 

I had to replace a Signal Valve today; the old one had a browning lower Mica and a bit of the Getter had flaked off. 

Don't particularly want the thing to shit itself and short something expensive out! 

Lord Boots carried out a listening test and looked out for Magic Smoke®

DSC_7942.JPG

DSC_7945.JPG

DSC_7946.JPG

2 hours ago, brownnova said:

Thank you for educating me... as your post appears to suggest, we haven’t got the latest standards of political correctness here in “rural Wales” (We’ve only just got double glazing and inside plumbing here) so it was unbeknownst to me that the word may cause you offence on behalf of the travelling community. 

Did I say it caused me offence? I'm more shocked that you used a racist word which is explicitly against the rules.

Perhaps you need a re-read of the rules? Here is a link for a refresher:

In particular:

"Racism, sexism, incitement to violence? Completely unwelcome here. Similarly, use of terms which disparage the disabled and people with learning difficulties."

You should know too well that Pikey is offensive to Irish Travellers. Why didn't you put Irish Travellers in your post?

It's blatant casual racism. Like I said, its something I don't expect a moderator on here, a teacher no less, to be doing so openly.

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Just as well there aren't currently any Travellers with subcontinental heritage.

Well yes, most evidence points the Romani people (which many term as Gypsy Travellers) to have originate from India. No Romania as is commonly thought here - something Romanians will often be quick to point out. 

1 hour ago, MrDuke said:

'Pikey' isn't racist, because 'pikeys' don't belong to a different racial/ethnic group. I'm aware that there was some bullshit legislation passed to the contrary a few years ago, but as I've said before: if they passed a law stating that apples are root vegetables, it wouldn't suddenly become true.

You cannot choose your ethnic group based solely on your life choices. Pikeys are ethnically caucasians from the British Isles, just like the majority of UK inhabitants.

Several things. 

The legislation first came in 1976:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1976/74/enacted

"' racial group ' means a group of persons defined by reference to colour, race, nationality or ethnic or national origins, and in this definition ' nationality ' includes citizenship;"

Hardly something recent.

The word Pikey is considered offensive to Irish Travellers and has been for a long time.

You are implying that it's a life style choice to be an Irish Traveller. How does that even make sense? That's like it's a lifestyle choice to be White British. Or a lifestyle choice to be homosexual...

I mean if we don't mind that we use these words which are offensive to a wide group of people, then perhaps we need to re-write the rules to not forbid that. 

...wait, that implies it's ok to be racist? Of course it's not! So why are we having this conversation about whether it's ok to be disparaging to an ethnic group?

Remember it wasn't so long ago that calling Black/Dark skinned people by the N-word was deemed socially acceptable, even in a disparaging sense. 

6 hours ago, SiC said:

I know you live in rural Wales but that is a rather offensive racist ethnic slur. I expect much better from a teacher, let alone a mod.

Perhaps ‘cheeky bastard’ was the more appropriate term because he was in fact a cheeky bastard! He was lucky he encountered Brownnova and not me. 

Better not offend them whilst they are stealing dogs, having roads closed off in Cardiff due to gun offences, having horse and cart races on my local roads, driving around in untaxed vehicles, forcing contractors to crush stolen vehicles etc. Don’t offend the poor souls.

37 minutes ago, SiC said:

You are implying that it's a life style choice to be an Irish Traveller. How does that even make sense? That's like it's a lifestyle choice to be White British. Or a lifestyle choice to be homosexual...

Of course it is. You can't choose to be Irish, but you can certainly choose whether to identify as a 'Traveller'. Which in itself is a ridiculous term, as half of them have lived in semi-permanent settlements for longer than I've lived in all of my previous 5 residences combined. Does that mean that I can identify as an English Traveller and complain about anyone who uses a slang term to refer to me?
More specifically, 'pikey' is used to specifically refer to people who are blatantly behaving in an antisocial/criminal way, rather than just any Irish person with scruffy clothes.

Your other points regarding the legal ruling and official definitions of ethnicity are noted and appreciated.

3 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

Fuck sake, the internet is so touchy these days 😅

If it wasn't directed at you, don't start crying 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I'm not "crying or touchy" about this causing offense to others. I can happily deal with people with alternative view points or offensive behaviour. It's why I can withstand being on TDW - despite working in a very liberal office and industry, in what is apparently the "woke capital" of the UK.

However this forum isn't supposed to be about that! One of the core principles that are supposedly being held.

How do you know there isn't Irish Travellers on this very forum that are reading that? Normal people that are having to hide their identity because of these preconceptions. Is that a right thing in this world?

We've moved on (I hope) from calling Africans as N*g, Chinese as Ch*nks, Pakistani as Pa*i, Polish as Pol*ack, etc. Likewise calling those with Downs Syndrome as M*ngs, those with Cerebral Palsy as Sp*stics. So shouldn't we be doing the same with calling Irish Travellers as P*kies?

I mean if we are cool with that then fine, but again we keep getting told this isn't acceptable on the forum. So why is acceptable for a moderator to be using such terms?

Just now, SiC said:

I'm not "crying or touchy" about this causing offense to others. I can happily deal with people with alternative view points or offensive behaviour. It's why I can withstand being on TDW - despite working in a very liberal office and industry, in what is apparently the "woke capital" of the UK.

However this forum isn't supposed to be about that! One of the core principles that are supposedly being held.

How do you know there isn't Irish Travellers on this very forum that are reading that? Normal people that are having to hide their identity because of these preconceptions. Is that a right thing in this world?

We've moved on (I hope) from calling Africans as N*g, Chinese as Ch*nks, Pakistani as Pa*i, Polish as Pol*ack, etc. Likewise calling those with Downs Syndrome as M*ngs, those with Cerebral Palsy as Sp*stics. So shouldn't we be doing the same with calling Irish Travellers as P*kies?

I mean if we are cool with that then fine, but again we keep getting told this isn't acceptable on the forum. So why is acceptable for a moderator to be using such terms?

Well let the offended folk speak for themselves and privately message who ever has offended them ?

You don't have to act like a voice for these people.... as all we know, you could be making a big deal here over fuck all 🤷‍♂️

Sadly the world is full of things that folk won't agree on, if we had to stop and correct everything then we simply wouldn't anything done.

16 minutes ago, MrDuke said:

You can't choose to be Irish, but you can certainly choose whether to identify as a 'Traveller'. Which in itself is a ridiculous term, as half of them have lived in semi-permanent settlements for longer than I've lived in all of my previous 5 residences combined.

Who says Irish Travellers all travel? It's purely a name that's been given by many. I believe their real ethnicity name is Mincéirs. And yes they are an ethnic group. 

Does that mean that I can identify as an English Traveller and complain about anyone who uses a slang term to refer to me?

Do you have ethnic line to an English Traveller? They are indeed an ethnic group on the Romani ethnic group.

I think you're getting the semantics confused between someone travelling and a Traveller.

And yes, calling another White person, as a White person, as White Trash in a derogative fashion can certainly be classed as racist.

More specifically, 'pikey' is used to specifically refer to people who are blatantly behaving in an antisocial/criminal way, rather than just any Irish person with scruffy clothes.

Exactly. It's used as a derogative term. Commonly used against those from the Irish Traveller community.

6 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

Well let the offended folk speak for themselves and privately message who ever has offended them ?

You don't have to act like a voice for these people.... as all we know, you could be making a big deal here over fuck all 🤷‍♂️

Nope nope nope. It's about calling out casual racism. No different from someone using all the other examples I gave above.

5 minutes ago, SiC said:

Nope nope nope. It's about calling out casual racism. No different from someone using all the other examples I gave above.

Well it offends me that you've chosen to publicly have a dispute, over a matter that really could have been done in private. Next time pop a nice message to the individual who does not share your views, as we both know this individual is an upstanding gent, so rather than try and make him sound like a right cunt in front of everyone, do the right thing and just explain what you didn't like and he would have STRAIGHT away apologised and removed the statement.

I hope you also shout at people who park in disabled bays without a badge ?

You've never publicly outed anyone else who has added images of a pie and a key to a thread, so why now ?

Just now, Minimad5 said:

Well it offends me that you've chosen to publicly have a dispute, over a matter that really could have been done in private. Next time pop a nice message to the individual who does not share your views, as we both know BrownNova is an upstanding gent, so rather than try and make him sound like a right cunt in front of everyone, do the right thing and just explain what you didn't like and he would have STRAIGHT away apologised and removed the statement.

You've never publicly outed anyone else who has added images of a pie and a key to a thread, so why now ?

Indeed could all have been done by PM if it was actually about the word used.

I did PM you half an hour ago SiC in an attempt to put this to bed in a reasonable way. Not yet read. 

1 minute ago, Minimad5 said:

Well it offends me that you've chosen to publicly have a dispute, over a matter that really could have been done in private. Next time pop a nice message to the individual who does not share your views, as we both know this individual is an upstanding gent, so rather than try and make him sound like a right cunt in front of everyone, do the right thing and just explain what you didn't like and he would have STRAIGHT away apologised and removed the statement.

This is a public forum that is visible by all. The post was made by a moderator, who is supposed to be upholding the rules. They should be leading by example, especially on serious points like this.

Anyway, as the last few post show, not everyone is aware of the offensive nature of the word. Calling it out makes others aware of it too. 

6 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

hope you also shout at people who park in disabled bays without a badge ?

I wouldn't shout no. I don't shout unless absolutely necessary.

In reference to your question, then it's all about context. If someone got out of a car without a disabled badge and hobbled along on crutches then course not. If someone got out of a car and sprinted to the door, then I may question if they have remembered to put their disabled badge in the window. 

8 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

Maybe because I hold brownnova to a higher esteem than others?

But yes, I also do regularly call out other people on issues. 

On a different note, I have decided to try and set up a business selling personalised chocolate selection boxes. Here are a couple I've prepared following customer requests. They ask for it, I create it. I like to think of myself as providing a public service. 

Is anyone interested in buying one? 

Screenshot_20210330-214818_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20210330-214846_Facebook.jpg

21 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

He didn't use the term in an offensive manner.

Leave the lad alone, we've all said shit in the past that we shouldn't have.

You choose to be offended, he didn't choose to accidentally offended you.

As a mod he should think twice before he posts. And if he makes a mistake he should apologise, not make excuses.

17 minutes ago, Minimad5 said:

You don't have to read it.

I'm offended that you are offended.