The new news 24 thread

Father Ted

5 minutes ago, Tim_E said:

Looks like the sort of thing @LightBulbFun would be doing too!

your not entirely wrong there LOL  (I have not progressed with it any further as my room is a complete mess currently and my work desk blocked up but when/if I can ever get it cleaned up I do plan to continue working on it)

On 11/06/2019 at 12:59, LightBulbFun said:

decided to have another Bash at trouble shooting a Vintage Philips Radio I picked up in late 2013 from a charity shop in east Grinstead, at the time I deduced with a dim bulb tester and a variac that the mains input was dead short, but could not figure out how to pull the chassis out to investigate further

well I still have not figured that out, but did figure out how to get enough access to let me have a closer look at things

well I think I have sussed the issue :) 

image.thumb.png.99f2199f133a0a1786f4d7b2076bd7e7.png

snipped the sad looking capacitor out and no more mains short :)

only problem is im not sure what value this cap is so I can replace it properly, nor do I currently have any schematics, sadly it exploded right where the markings are and I can only make out a H33KP and a 6 bellow that

I think ill tentatively wire up the radio to my variac via dim bulb tester and see if I get any more life out of it

sadly this radio is full of these black caps (I know they have a name in the "trade" but i cant recall it atm, just that they like to fail like above LOL) so I know ill have to replace all of those at some point as well

if anyones wondering the Radio is a Philips 131U

edit: woop found schematics/service info https://www.doctsf.com/documents/schematheques/radio_anglais/PHILIPS/131U.PDF

edit2: looks like it was a 33nf cap across the mains for RF filtering, and those aint critical to operation so ill go ahead with testing

On 23/02/2021 at 14:57, LightBulbFun said:

8 Sodding years, but thanks to some help from @R1152 (details of which can be found in the @beko1987-shite thread) I finally managed to figure out how to get the Chassis out of the case Woo!

image.thumb.png.171db66f4d8277c69675c515b25dc135.png

now I can have a proper stab at getting it working again hopefully :)

MrsFL's Mazda 3 has been making many clonks of late, a brief inspection led to this finding

20210328_134833.thumb.jpg.1cdf66819a1d07dab724161c96b8e025.jpg

but also that rear shock bump stops have disintegrated as have trailing arm bushings.

Looking at Autodoc are any makes that should be looked at / avoided for suspension components??

1 hour ago, Tim_E said:

Looks like the sort of thing @LightBulbFun would be doing too!

Ha! 😂 Yes, I'm looking forward to an AS Meet, actually ! 

The Power Valves are New Old Stock to Russian Military Specification. 

They are designed for use in Fighter Jet Missile Door Control Circuits. 

Being Valves, the EMP produced by a Nuclear Weapon won't affect them. 

They're being used in peaceful* activities now, but I think it's cool to have kit with a story like that! 😎😎😎

DSC_7937.JPG

Edited by Leyland Worldmaster
Picture added!

Busy weekend,  used the galaxy to fetch some paving slabs, and then today electric running machine for the missus made realised I've not cleaned the in side for ages, so whilst missus and her brother layed the slabs in the garden I gave the inside a hoover and a wiper over, such nicer place to be in, then today using the mondeo I noticed more stones than a gravel pit in the drivers footwear so that got a hoovering out too..oh and I put up another dam blind.

20210328_190800.jpg

20210328_152359.jpg

20210328_144303.jpg

20210328_144751.jpg

20210327_120922.jpg

28 minutes ago, stuboy said:

Busy weekend,  used the galaxy to fetch some paving slabs, and then today electric running machine for the missus made realised I've not cleaned the in side for ages, so whilst missus and her brother layed the slabs in the garden I gave the inside a hoover and a wiper over, such nicer place to be in, then today using the mondeo I noticed more stones than a gravel pit in the drivers footwear so that got a hoovering out too..oh and I put up another dam blind.

20210328_190800.jpg

20210328_152359.jpg

20210328_144303.jpg

20210328_144751.jpg

20210327_120922.jpg

Looks like she's practising for when the "patio needs relaying"... 

today we gave up one of the garages where one of the broken smol cars has been kept.

i pushed one broke car out of the other garage on the same block that we still, well for now anyway, have.

then kerry pushed the evicted car out, and across, and into the now vacant garage.

the broken mini was then hooked up to the back of the Rover, and it was dragged back to Kerrys.

once there, we popped the plugsout,and gave them a clean, before kerry took the cap off the dizzy.

turning over the engine, well there is no spark at the plugs, though kerry says she did see a spark at the points.

so,i think i'm going to get another coil first, and then maybe a new rotor arm, cap and, ifi feel flush maybe even some plugs and leads.

then it was cover on, its FAR to big, hell it was big on Marvin the Metro  and away home.

but i am now sure, i want to get it running and then its going .

i know i won't ever be able to have another mini 1000, but, frankly this sums np what i think of it (and the other broken smol cars)

20210328_141858.thumb.jpg.3f6074dd4e401368585ac2e570af43ea.jpg

I wish Minis weren't so expensive. I'd really like one but not for the high four figures they go for. Especially as they're high liability in the rusty bodywork stakes. 

I remember looking over your black one when you took it to the Leyland day at Gaydon. Looked like a lovely little thing. 

13 hours ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Seeing this picture of a pub in Tavistock, makes me want to ask if the Ordulph Arms is still going? I worked in Tavi for 3 years in the mid 90s and lunches were often spent in the Ordulph as it made the afternoons pass in somewhat of a blur. The landlord had a Lotus Elan and a Lotus Carlton which he seemed to use as his daily. I remember briefly ( for about 400 yds) following him across the moors. Bloody hell it was rapid.

It was still going until a couple of years ago, the landlord used to have a DB7 in the 00’s so possibly the same owner as was then.

Failed my first financial paper.  Reason?  I referred to a test case client as “wanting to invest money gifted to them from their late grandfather”

Failed because I didn’t say the word “inheritance”

Funny old system.  You have failed.  Unless you correct the thing you failed on.  In which case you have passed.  I wonder why they don’t just say “hey, alter that and resubmit and we’re good”

In the final stages now.  Another day or two and that should be it

13 minutes ago, Parky said:

Failed my first financial paper.  Reason?  I referred to a test case client as “wanting to invest money gifted to them from their late grandfather”

Failed because I didn’t say the word “inheritance”...

What if it was a gift given before the late grandfather's death? That wouldn't be an inheritance, so much as a potentially exempt transfer (albeit NZ may not have the PET loophole)....

1 hour ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

What if it was a gift given before the late grandfather's death? That wouldn't be an inheritance, so much as a potentially exempt transfer (albeit NZ may not have the PET loophole)....

Ha ha!  Could have pulled that but the text did state inheritance from grandfather, I just didn’t call it that.

Rather like referring to “Pension” instead of “New Zealand Superannuation”. It means the same.  Or claiming “WCPGW?” instead of “the value of investments can go down as well as up and you may not get back the amount invested”

Got chatting with a bloke at a local garage of mine who has this lovely Monza Red RS2000 which I last saw around two years ago. I forgot to get a photo of it last time I saw it and regretted it, so it was good to see it again.

IMG_5877.thumb.jpg.b6def4ccea492ff9ee4cfedd2d15fbff.jpg

IMG_5878.thumb.jpg.3e1a253adf10f801dce57f6f3dc2a653.jpg

He looks like he's in his late 50's, and said he's had it since he was 18, so perhaps a one owner car! He plans a restoration for it in the future.

Over the weekend I helped my brother fit brake discs & pads to his Audi TT, he procured the parts through Autodoc and went for the RIDEX brand.

I was a little dubious as I had no experience of RIDEX and they always come out less expensive than any other brand there. I did try to find out who they are associated with but they appear to be independent, according to their website. That said I was pleasantly surprised, finish was good on the discs, the pads had the usual excessive paint / powder coat that needs filing to get them to fit nicely in the caliper but that's no worse than Eicher or Apex stuff that I've had from the local motor factor.

Time will tell but I would be interested to hear of any other experiences with RIDEX, if there are any.

1 hour ago, tommotech said:

Over the weekend I helped my brother fit brake discs & pads to his Audi TT, he procured the parts through Autodoc and went for the RIDEX brand.

I was a little dubious as I had no experience of RIDEX and they always come out less expensive than any other brand there. I did try to find out who they are associated with but they appear to be independent, according to their website. That said I was pleasantly surprised, finish was good on the discs, the pads had the usual excessive paint / powder coat that needs filing to get them to fit nicely in the caliper but that's no worse than Eicher or Apex stuff that I've had from the local motor factor.

Time will tell but I would be interested to hear of any other experiences with RIDEX, if there are any.

Thank you, just ordered springs, shock, bump stops and full rear subframe bush kit for under £100...

Probably old news now but Sabine Schmitz died of cancer earlier this month. I believe she went down fighting, there's a heart-warming video of her last public message, in German but she seemed strong to the last. 

She is responsible for one of the best pieces of Top Gear footage and one of the best pieces of driving catptured on film in general, in my opinion:

Very first person to knock on my new front door (fitted today) was a <gentleman with an Irish accent> trying to buy my Saab 900... “I’ll do you a favour and give you £100 for it today and take it off your hands”

Funnily enough I don’t find that much of a favour.... 

Just now, brownnova said:

Very first person to knock on my new front door (fitted today) was a pikey trying to buy my Saab 900... “I’ll do you a favour and give you £100 for it today and take it off your hands”.... 

In a way, you're lucky the fella offered £100. Half the time, they just take without paying.

1 hour ago, brownnova said:

Very first person to knock on my new front door (fitted today) was a pikey trying to buy my Saab 900... “I’ll do you a favour and give you £100 for it today and take it off your hands”

Funnily enough I don’t find that much of a favour.... 

£200 and half a packet of Hobnobs

4 hours ago, Tim_E said:

I somehow managed to open a Wikipedia  article on Eliliana Torrini in Scots.

And it turns out she is Italian-Icelandic, just for more linguistic fun. 

Screenshot_20210329-133744_Wikipedia.jpg

Stop making me even more homesick than I already am...

That basically sounds in my head like any of the regulars in any of the pubs I grew up frequenting (with my parents obviously - well aside from one, which admittedly we did live next door to and I was friends with the kids of the landlord, so different rules applied there!) just chatting about anything...

hopefully the focus is alright for another year , put it into the garage for a check over today , slight knock on the offside front which I thought was the track rod end ,

and its come back ok , on the car cam its had a good ragging around and  a trip on the ramps and they think its ok ..

so hopefully its a pass in April for it , fingers crossed .......

edit

tre bollocks , just check my dates and I am a month out , its June its mot is due ......